Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Just looking for a bit of help/advice from anyone who has sat Equity before. I am thinking of leaving out purpose trusts (charitable trusts) and injunctions. Is this too big a risk or should I be ok if I cover the rest of the curriculum? Am I right in saying neither topic tends to come up in more than one question? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

Probably don't come up in more than one question but charitable trusts not on last exam so pretty likely to come up on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭FE1 student

Redo91 wrote: »
    Just looking for a bit of help/advice from anyone who has sat Equity before. I am thinking of leaving out purpose trusts (charitable trusts) and injunctions. Is this too big a risk or should I be ok if I cover the rest of the curriculum? Am I right in saying neither topic tends to come up in more than one question? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

injunctions had two questions in october 2013. Unlikely that will happen again. If you have a good handle on one or the other you should be ok. Bit risky leaving both off.

injunctions had two questions in october 2013. Unlikely that will happen again. If you have a good handle on one or the other you should be ok. Bit risky leaving both off.

Guy on city said you're mad to leave injunctions out if you're doing equity

Ownleme wrote: »
    Guy on city said you're mad to leave injunctions out if you're doing equity

Thanks guys. I have covered injunctions twice already but that was about a month ago so was tempted to leave it out because I'm a bit stuck with time (sitting 4). Is there any way to cut injunctions down or do I have to cover it all?

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. I have covered injunctions twice already but that was about a month ago so was tempted to leave it out because I'm a bit stuck with time (sitting 4). Is there any way to cut injunctions down or do I have to cover it all?

Don't do mareva. Do quai timet mandatory and ordinary interlocutory

Don't do mareva. Do quai timet mandatory and ordinary interlocutory

Thanks!

Thanks!

No problem. Just basing it on the free city colleges lecture the other day

No problem. Just basing it on the free city colleges lecture the other day

That the tip that was given? So hard to predict as it's hard to know how it will compare to the October and March papers.

That the tip that was given? So hard to predict as it's hard to know how it will compare to the October and March papers.

Yeah exactly. Yeah in fairness extra hard to predict this paper but those were lecturers thoughts

• Advertisement

Yeah exactly. Yeah in fairness extra hard to predict this paper but those were lecturers thoughts

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

Hi all, hope study is going well for everyone.. I have a query in relation to Exclusion Clauses in contract law if anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Just wondering what legislation is relevant in discussing how exclusion clauses are controlled in Ireland?
    I know the sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 is relevant as is the European Communities (Unfair Terms on Consumer Contracts) Regulations 1995 but I am not sure how or which sections!

Thanks in advance!
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

Does anyone have the name of any EU legislation book that has the Brussels regulation in it that we can bring into the exam? I'm working off blackstones 12-13 but it's not there!

Has anyone who is not an independent colleges student been given access to the recording of their paper review? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Hey lads..can anyone help me out re Property law.

1. How have the family law questions changed since they 2010 act i.e. I know she tends to focus on cohabitants now more than married couples but how does she phrase these questions.

2. How to the easement questions tend to be asked

hope study is going ok for everyone....the nerved are well and truly after kicking in now :(

Hey lads..can anyone help me out re Property law.

1. How have the family law questions changed since they 2010 act i.e. I know she tends to focus on cohabitants now more than married couples but how does she phrase these questions.

2. How to the easement questions tend to be asked

hope study is going ok for everyone....the nerved are well and truly after kicking in now :(

1. Critically evaluate the legislative protection afforded to spouses and same sex couples in relation to family property in Ireland. Support your answer with reference to appropriate authority.

Changed in October 2013 to problem question re married couple and on the March 14 paper she only asked same sex. Which apparently only means civil partners and not cohabitants.

2. Easement came up in March 14 as an essay and in October as a problem question.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

1. Critically evaluate the legislative protection afforded to spouses and same sex couples in relation to family property in Ireland. Support your answer with reference to appropriate authority.

Changed in October 2013 to problem question re married couple and on the March 14 paper she only asked same sex. Which apparently only means civil partners and not cohabitants.

2. Easement came up in March 14 as an essay and in October as a problem question.

Hope that helps.

Out of curiosity, why do you say same sex couples excludes cohabitants? The definition of cohabitants includes same sex couples. If she said discuss the protections afforded to civil partners, that would be different but in my view same sex couples includes both civil partners and same sex cohabitants.

MissM89 wrote: »
    Hi all, hope study is going well for everyone.. I have a query in relation to Exclusion Clauses in contract law if anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Just wondering what legislation is relevant in discussing how exclusion clauses are controlled in Ireland?
    I know the sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 is relevant as is the European Communities (Unfair Terms on Consumer Contracts) Regulations 1995 but I am not sure how or which sections!

Thanks in advance!
    M

http://www.cram.com/flashcards/contract-consumer-protection-2270023

Everything you need to know here and they are based on the Independent Colleges manual so you can trust them. I'd say you can leave out most of the case law mentioned, just know ss12-15 of the 1893 Act and how exclusion clauses apply to them i.e can never exclude s12, can't exclude ss13-15 if it's a consumer contract and if it's not a consumer contract, you can only exclude ss13-15 if it's fair and reasonable to do so.

Have a bit on the EC unfair terms regulation also and you'll be flying it.

She criticises student's inability to discuss the statutory control of exclusion clauses so much that any solid discussion of the topic is going to make you stand out from the crowd which is always a good thing!!

Hi S12b,

That was my take on same sex couples too, until last night when my property lecturer stated it does not not apply to co-habitants. I dont get it I am just trusting she has it right. Part 4 of the 2010 act seems to only relate to Civil Partners. But if anyone has clarification on this I would be delighted to hear it.

Hi S12b,

That was my take on same sex couples too, until last night when my property lecturer stated it does not not apply to co-habitants. I dont get it I am just trusting she has it right. Part 4 of the 2010 act seems to only relate to Civil Partners. But if anyone has clarification on this I would be delighted to hear it.

Hey, I literally just got my hands on the exam paper there. The question read discuss the legislative protections afforded same sex couples in relation to the shared home. The shared home bit is the key point.

If shared home was not included, you should discuss both civil partners and co-habitants under the same sex heading but if the shared home is referenced, that means civil partners only (as only civil partners can live in a "shared home")

• Advertisement

S12b wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why do you say same sex couples excludes cohabitants? The definition of cohabitants includes same sex couples. If she said discuss the protections afforded to civil partners, that would be different but in my view same sex couples includes both civil partners and same sex cohabitants.
    S12b wrote: »
    Hey, I literally just got my hands on the exam paper there. The question read discuss the legislative protections afforded same sex couples in relation to the shared home. The shared home bit is the key point.

If shared home was not included, you should discuss both civil partners and co-habitants under the same sex heading but if the shared home is referenced, that means civil partners only (as only civil partners can live in a "shared home")

that makes much more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

Did anybody watch the review class for equity?? Did they say anything about what was likely to come up. I emailed them asking for the recording like they said but no reply as of yet. Did anyone else get the recording who is not enrolled in city college??

kiwi33 wrote: »
    Did anybody watch the review class for equity?? Did they say anything about what was likely to come up. I emailed them asking for the recording like they said but no reply as of yet. Did anyone else get the recording who is not enrolled in city college??

http://citycolleges.adobeconnect.com/p6vh1ao20yb/

Does anyone have the name of any EU legislation book that has the Brussels regulation in it that we can bring into the exam? I'm working off blackstones 12-13 but it's not there!

as far as i know blackstones is the only one we can bring in and yeah its not in it.

watching this constitutional review is not fun. didnt talk about whether as a widow she was entitled to art41 in q2. didnt talk about art26 in question about president (which supposedly is what it was really about) and didnt mention freedom of expression which (as people said on here) is what q5 was about (along with fair running of elections). probably didnt mention locus standi enough in ag q either. guess i knew there was a risk of this happening by watching them when I cant change anythin now anway. oh well

not to say "i told you so" but just so people arent confused i'm pretty sure property lecturer said being a trespasser doesnt affect your rights as a finder. she said most of the people are trespassers who find stuff and it was just in the question on march as a redherring. not saying she's definitely right but thats what i got from what she said anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

as far as i know blackstones is the only one we can bring in and yeah its not in it.

watching this constitutional review is not fun. didnt talk about whether as a widow she was entitled to art41 in q2. didnt talk about art26 in question about president (which supposedly is what it was really about) and didnt mention freedom of expression which (as people said on here) is what q5 was about (along with fair running of elections). probably didnt mention locus standi enough in ag q either. guess i knew there was a risk of this happening by watching them when I cant change anythin now anway. oh well

not to say "i told you so" but just so people arent confused i'm pretty sure property lecturer said being a trespasser doesnt affect your rights as a finder. she said most of the people are trespassers who find stuff and it was just in the question on march as a redherring. not saying she's definitely right but thats what i got from what she said anyway

Also with you on finding and re trespasser. The whole thing is you have next best title to all but the true owner. And unless you are on land where someone has advancly expressed that they own all objects there in as stated in British airways case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jane132

Hi all, hope study is going well for everyone! I am looking for a sample answers for Q1 March 2013. I am totally confusing myself between classifications of crime and characteristics of a crime/defining crime so if anyone could clear it up for me I would be very grateful!
    Thanks
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 10 thatdepends

Does anyone know what came up in the tort march 2014 fe1 exam??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nownow

Hi everyone,
    I am sitting my first four fe-1's in September, and I was wondering which third one to sit.I am definetly sitting Equity and Criminal , but I am wondering wether to sit Property or Criminal for a third ? Obviously whichever one I choose not to sit ,Il just be going in to show the face.Working full time so would rather focus on trying to get my first three.. Any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

Does anyone know what came up in the tort march 2014 fe1 exam??

I sat it but couldn't really tell you what came up, I found it confusing and I'd say I mixed up topics in it! That'll be a repeat I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 JamesLaw

nownow wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I am sitting my first four fe-1's in September, and I was wondering which third one to sit.I am definetly sitting Equity and Criminal , but I am wondering wether to sit Property or Criminal for a third ? Obviously whichever one I choose not to sit ,Il just be going in to show the face.Working full time so would rather focus on trying to get my first three.. Any ideas ?

Hey,

My advice: do either EU or Constitutional. They are both massive demanding subjects and sitting them together is a nightmare.

If you have just completed a degree and subjects like tort or company are fresh in your head i'd advise doing some of them also- might save ya a few punt in the long term ahving to do courses to refresh your memory.

JL

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement