Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Glinda!

LawCQ91 wrote: »
    Hey all, for those who have sat the tort paper, do you reckon the paper was meant to be the October paper ? Or the original march paper or like a spare paper ? Were the topics in accordance with the grinds school tips etc? :/

The 3 essay q's were probably the least asked topics grinds wise. The usual most prominent topics such as Trespass to the person, Products Liability didnt appear in either sitting. My opinion would be it was a specially drafted extra paper for the extraordinary sitting not Oct paper. But i not sure y im drawing that conclusion! Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Glinda! wrote: »
    The 3 essay q's were probably the least asked topics grinds wise. The usual most prominent topics such as Trespass to the person, Products Liability didnt appear in either sitting. My opinion would be it was a specially drafted extra paper for the extraordinary sitting not Oct paper. But i not sure y im drawing that conclusion! Anyone else?

Thanks, I am not doing tort but from the papers I have seen that came up from the march sitting .. The march papers seem to be 'rather friendly and fair' :/ maybe it's just me ..

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

LawCQ91 wrote: »
    Thanks, I am not doing tort but from the papers I have seen that came up from the march sitting .. The march papers seem to be 'rather friendly and fair' :/ maybe it's just me ..

ya im not either but think the same....im hoping that the constitutional paper in march was the one specifically drafted and that the one on friday will be the fair one with art 38, enumerated rights and property haha

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

Both. . Nuisance of not being able to enjoy garden when boggy..Rylands when ground floor flooded

Damnit I only talked about private nuisance and said the ground floor flooding was material damage to property.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Both. . Nuisance of not being able to enjoy garden when boggy..Rylands when ground floor flooded

I didn't use Ryland's but I used the case of Ambrose re flooding!

• Advertisement

I thought it was either trespass to land or pure economic loss? I could be completely wrong on the pure economic loss guess though. How did you find the paper overall?

If q2 was on trespass to land and q6 on nuisance I did 5 good questions :) how did you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

Q4 on tort, was it causation or occupiers liability?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 unknown1990

Do you get attempt marks for questions does anyone know? I feel I answered 4 questions well but completely misread a question answering it on the wrong topic! Just wondering if I should expect a 0 in that question!

Do you get attempt marks for questions does anyone know? I feel I answered 4 questions well but completely misread a question answering it on the wrong topic! Just wondering if I should expect a 0 in that question!

well was it a full question or part of a question you answered it wrong on? i answered a part of question on trespass instead of occupiers liability before .....it was half a question other part was on liability of animals and i still passed

• Registered Users Posts: 28 unknown1990

Milkypops wrote: »
    well was it a full question or part of a question you answered it wrong on? i answered a part of question on trespass instead of occupiers liability before .....it was half a question other part was on liability of animals and i still passed

It was a full essay question sadly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 capablespoon

I thought it was either trespass to land or pure economic loss? I could be completely wrong on the pure economic loss guess though. How did you find the paper overall?

Seemed like conversion/trespass to chattels to me, but is that even on the syllabus?

sophya wrote: »
    Damnit I only talked about private nuisance and said the ground floor flooding was material damage to property.

I did the same don't think we were wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 apriori

So I wrote question 7 on the top in the space but then actually answered question 6 (which I meant to do). Don't think I scribbled it out. I remember however putting 6 on the front of the booklet. Would he be that harsh to disregard it because I wrote 7 on top of the page?!

apriori wrote: »
    So I wrote question 7 on the top in the space but then actually answered question 6 (which I meant to do). Don't think I scribbled it out. I remember however putting 6 on the front of the booklet. Would he be that harsh to disregard it because I wrote 7 on top of the page?!

no i doubt it especially if you put 6 on the front of the booklet....they might be cruel markers but there not gonna dock you marks over something small like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missindigo123

What are people studying for Land Law on Thursday? I will die of happiness if this paper is like the March paper!
    First time doing FE1s and didnt do a prep course so really not sure what to expect!

I know Succession inside out,
    Family Law,
    Easements,
    Adverse Possession,
    Finding / Treasure Trove,
    Co-Ownership / Commentaries
    Landlord and Tenant (Kinda know it, hope it doesnt come up)

Will I be ok or should I include some more?

Thanks

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saor19

What are people studying for Land Law on Thursday? I will die of happiness if this paper is like the March paper!
    First time doing FE1s and didnt do a prep course so really not sure what to expect!

Family Law,
    Easements,
    Adverse Possession,

Thanks

I'm doing the same as you except swapping L&T for licences and estoppel!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Anyone know where i could get the succession acts for property on thursday? is there any chance they will hand out in spares during the exam?

I bought the Succession Act from a guy on adverts.ie, try there! Tried all major book shops no luck, government publication office on Molesworth is closed down... grrr! Maybe Hodges&Figgs on Exchequer Street or Reids on Nassau street!
    Have no idea why they cant just provide copies...

I bought the Succession Act from a guy on adverts.ie, try there! Tried all major book shops no luck, government publication office on Molesworth is closed down... grrr! Maybe Hodges&Figgs on Exchequer Street or Reids on Nassau street!

Thank you will give it a go now, just worried about not having it in time for thursday now. Yes its a joke they cant provide all the relevant materials for the exam!

saor19 wrote: »
    I'm doing the same as you except swapping L&T for licences and estoppel!

Thanks :) I was going to try mortgages but they are just annoying!! Apparently a question on land registration might come up? I was at the review of the March paper in City Colleges and the lecturer said she had a feeling it might pop up!

The video for that class is at http://citycolleges.adobeconnect.com/p6mm0i6rypa/ for anyone who might want it!
    Going to try find some sample answers now ha!

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »
    Thank you will give it a go now, just worried about not having it in time for thursday now. Yes its a joke they cant provide all the relevant materials for the exam!

You will probably be fine without it anyhow!!

You will probably be fine without it anyhow!!

Hopefully, maybe they will hand out a few spares with a bitta luck :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭safc_pete

Family Law,
    Easements,
    Adverse Possession,

Thanks

I'm doing the same. Might have a look over licences now too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saor19

Thanks :) I was going to try mortgages but they are just annoying!! Apparently a question on land registration might come up? I was at the review of the March paper in City Colleges and the lecturer said she had a feeling it might pop up!

The video for that class is at http://citycolleges.adobeconnect.com/p6mm0i6rypa/ for anyone who might want it!
    Going to try find some sample answers now ha!

I saw that too but Land registration is as painful as mortgages imo! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34 apriori

Milkypops wrote: »
    no i doubt it especially if you put 6 on the front of the booklet....they might be cruel markers but there not gonna dock you marks over something small like that!

Cheers!

As regards Q6 and Rylands, I don't think it was relevant.

Quote: "the person who for his own purpose brings on his lands and collects and keeps there anything likely to do mischief, if it escapes, must keep it in at his peril, and if he does not do so, is prima facie answerable for all the damage which is the natural consequence of its escape"

Maureen didn't bring anything on the land if you get me. The stream was naturally occurring and nobody did anything to affect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭safc_pete

Is anyone leaving much out for Constitutional? I've got:

Interpretation;
    The AG;
    Non-Justiciability;
    Separation of Powers;
    Specified Rights;
    Unspecified Rights;
    Trial in Due Course of Law;
    Referenda.

I'll probably have a look over Family & Religion too. Is that enough? Ridiculous amount of material to be covered for this exam!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

Probably the most difficult and bizarre paper I've sat yet. I feel like I'm destined never go get passed this first three. As someone said to me today imagine as a solicitor someone came to you demanding action against a neighbour for chopping up a beloved tree to make fire wood??

What Tort(s) exactly did this focus on by the way?

I also answered the dolphin question as a general negligence answer focusing mainly on the duty and standard of care owed to Walt by WB Council. Anyone else do something similar?

safc_pete wrote: »
    Is anyone leaving much out for Constitutional? I've got:

Interpretation;
    The AG;
    Non-Justiciability;
    Separation of Powers;
    Specified Rights;
    Unspecified Rights;
    Trial in Due Course of Law;
    Referenda.

I'll probably have a look over Family & Religion too. Is that enough? Ridiculous amount of material to be covered for this exam!!

im leaving out constitutional and international law
    liberty and i think thats it really....what do you mean by referenda??

have you done locus standi for challenging constitutionality? and equality is supposed to come up usually as some part of a prob question....also property didnt come up in march and he loves that topic so i wouldnt be surprised if it came up on friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Raf32 wrote: »

Why in the heck should they provide the material for the exam?

Have you seen the size of the Companies Acts, has to be well over a 1,000 pages. I don't think our €105.00 would cover that.

It's like saying they should provide us the materials like the manuals to study.

You should have had the Succession Act well in advance of the date of the exam so stop blaming the Law Society.

Anyway, good luck in the exam, and do try your best to get it. It is very useful for the Succession questions.

• Advertisement

chops018 wrote: »
    Why in the heck should they provide the material for the exam?

Have you seen the size of the Companies Acts, has to be well over a 1,000 pages. I don't think our €105.00 would cover that.

It's like saying they should provide us the materials like the manuals to study.

You should have had the Succession Act well in advance of the date so stop blaming the Law Society.

Anyway, good luck in the exam, and do try your best to get it. It is very useful for the Succession questions.

hahhahaa damn straight!

how you set for tomorrow chops?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement