Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missindigo123

MissM89 wrote: »
    I have those three next week too, so hard to even know which order to study them in!! I am going at equity for the day, and going to do criminal for the weekend. Ya syringe offences were up, so maybe computer offences. I am really hoping for a classification of offences question!!

Yeah classification would be a nice one!! Do u have the link for the city colleges review lectures? I can post them if you want!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Is anyone else having serious trouble remembering case names? I feel like as soon as I read them they are gone out of my head!
    Don't get bogged down in remembering case names. It's the meat and gravy of the cases that is most important. If you can remember part of the case name or even a quick synopsis of the facts, that is enough. Unless you are going for whatever the equivalent of the gold star is, make sure you know what the law is first and then look at the case names.

Don't get bogged down in remembering case names. It's the meat and gravy of the cases that is most important. If you can remember part of the case name or even a quick synopsis of the facts, that is enough. Unless you are going for whatever the equivalent of the gold star is, make sure you know what the law is first and then look at the case names.

Feel better hearing that!! I hope when we are qualified our lives aren't this stressful hahaha!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

Thanks, I have watched the review lecture, just need to actually learn the stuff now! It seems it dosn't matter how many times I read it and type/write it up I still dont know it! Maybe strict liability offences is due a run on Criminal? How did you get on with property?

Thanks, I have watched the review lecture, just need to actually learn the stuff now! It seems it dosn't matter how many times I read it and type/write it up I still dont know it! Maybe strict liability offences is due a run on Criminal? How did you get on with property?

Wasn't great, I had left out mortgages and didn't bother going over freehold! The succession questions were very specific and the first one was just mad ha!! I was so happy after seeing the march paper because I could have done that easily enough! Just glad to be finally doing them, hate having them hanging over my head! How did u get on?

I've given up writing and I'm just teaching saying it all out loud!

• Advertisement

Wasn't great, I had left out mortgages and didn't bother going over freehold! The succession questions were very specific and the first one was just mad ha!! I was so happy after seeing the march paper because I could have done that easily enough! Just glad to be finally doing them, hate having them hanging over my head! How did u get on?

I've given up writing and I'm just teaching saying it all out loud!

My first Company exam was a disaster! So now also trying just to focus on learning, I think my approach to this whole thing has been way off so Im expecting to be doing them again in September!

My first Company exam was a disaster! So now also trying just to focus on learning, I think my approach to this whole thing has been way off so Im expecting to be doing them again in September!

Yeah me too, I would honestly be happy to even pass 3 so that I don't have to do all four at once again!!
    Have sent my nanny to light a candle on Sunday so should be grand!!
    Lots of people giving out about Company! It appears to be one of the hardest overall!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Not sure if this would make you feel better ..my approach to the exams is wrong also ! I am very disappointed in myself , I made notes out for 5 subjects - and didn't give myself enough time for learning things off by heart .. Ony had enough time to focus on two subjects (my first two- sure two isn't good enough)

Notes is no good to me when it's not in my head :( especially not helping when some of those were made months ago!

And there's no way I can just learn by reading.. I need to write them out :/ feel so horrible now that I have to cover the whole criminal / equity in 4 days in total .. It's just not happening :/ and defo no chance in even try and sit the 5th one..

But at least having sat the exams, I know what to expect the next time .. And how much work is needed for the next time! Just a horrible feeling and extreme disappointment though ..

Right rant over :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

I thought constitutional was manageable. The case note question saved me though, managed to get it done in 15 minutes at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 25 C2012

What came up in company, sorry i know everyone is busy with their next subjects but people are saying its hard so I'm just wondering how bad was it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

C2012 wrote: »
    What came up in company, sorry i know everyone is busy with their next subjects but people are saying its hard so I'm just wondering how bad was it

From what I can recall,

UV

Directors duties (competition/conflict of intesest in particular)

Meetings

Shares (general Q)

S.205 essay / exceptions in fuss v harbottle

Receivership

Restrictions

Disposition of assets upon winding up , before and after

.. So not nice overall , no corp borrowing ... The banker question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

I know it's a bit late now.

But regarding people's approach to studying.

I never understood why people spend ages making notes of the manuals. The manuals are short enough, fair enough jotting down case names etc. But not full blown notes.

As for me:

My friend was kind enough to pass me on excellent typed notes, I'm sure you can buy similar on adverts. I would have my notes, manual, and sample answers.

I would go over a topic by going though the notes, If I felt it wasn't enough or I didn't fully get the topic then I would go to the manual, or indeed text book or online. When I was finished going over this topic I would go through a few sample answers from that topic. Then I would make a quick 5 - 10 min summary of the important cases of that topic. I'd move on. If the topic was 10 pages, and 3 answers, it would take me an hour or so to go through it.

No need to be typing up loads or writing loads in my opinion.

Coming nearer to the exam, I would go through the grid, and look at the last 5 or so questions on a topic and narrow down what exactly they ask on this topic. I would focus my attention on that and it's relevant case law etc. Instead of going through it all. Again, making 5 min summaries of case names at the end of going over a topic.

The final week or two before hand I would just be trying to go over what I wasn't good at, and for what I was good at I would just be scanning over case names and trying to drill them into my head.

At that stage you should know the gist of a topic and it's just the essentials you're trying to get into the head.

I never thought re-writing books or manuals was a good idea. Too time consuming. Especially when the manuals are short enough (for most subjects), and there is sample answers and notes widely available.

Now that's just me.... It could work different for others.

Thanks for that Chops, but I think that is exactly where I have gone wrong. I have spent months typing up notes from the manual and typing out sample answers and I honestly dont know anything right now.

Any tips on what the hell I should do now with 3 exams next week?!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

LawCQ91 wrote: »
    Not sure if this would make you feel better ..my approach to the exams is wrong also ! I am very disappointed in myself , I made notes out for 5 subjects - and didn't give myself enough time for learning things off by heart .. Ony had enough time to focus on two subjects (my first two- sure two isn't good enough)

Notes is no good to me when it's not in my head :( especially not helping when some of those were made months ago!

And there's no way I can just learn by reading.. I need to write them out :/ feel so horrible now that I have to cover the whole criminal / equity in 4 days in total .. It's just not happening :/ and defo no chance in even try and sit the 5th one..

But at least having sat the exams, I know what to expect the next time .. And how much work is needed for the next time! Just a horrible feeling and extreme disappointment though ..

Right rant over :'(

Try not beat yourself up everyone is in the same boat. I do spend time writing out notes as I can't help but speed read through everything. You have four days left and you can make it count. Thing is you know a lot more than you think you do, and try and remember that; beat it into your head. For the time that does remain, try and figure out what you don't know. I have changed my approach for this sitting; last sitting I was going way too deep into topics and ended up spreading myself too thinly. Knowing everything a little bit as opposed to a few areas in detail is the bottom line with these exams. As for approach, take a topic, start with a definition of what it is, the definition usually sets out a roadmap for the answer - learn it. Take Competition Law in EU for example 102 - abuse of a dominant position - Abuse; what does that mean in this context-straight away three or four issues, supplement with case law, dominant - again what does that mean in terms of EU competition law ie market, substantial market with caselaw. That's the way I approach this now; learn skeletol points and try and think to yourself what do you know. Once you figure out what you know, you have also figured out what you don't know and in some respects this narrows down the workload to curtail your focus on what you do know. Also different people different methods for study; I ain't no expert on it - find what one works best for you. It's all too easy to get overwhelmed, Again you have time left - make it count.

Thank you for that CRM1, I think I am in the very same boat but I literally cannot stop typing/writing out the same stuff over and over again - I dont know how else to learn it!! Are you saying just to read over it again and again until it is in your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

Thank you for that CRM1, I think I am in the very same boat but I literally cannot stop typing/writing out the same stuff over and over again - I dont know how else to learn it!! Are you saying just to read over it again and again until it is in your head?

No I find that just bores me straight to the point of irritation!! What I meant was put all your notes away or pace the room say everything you know about a topic well the main points and cases. See how far you get with what you know and then go back to your notes and focus on what you couldn't remember. Try and condense all your notes for one topic down onto one page or a flash card and test yourself; eg for criminal - murder what do you know? List it, then go back to your notes see what/if anything you have left out and focus on learning that. Then repeat the process. Try and see what works for you. And don't spend too long on one topic!! Best of luck!!

Trying doing sample answers. Time yourself to get a skeleton answer written out in 20 minutes. It can give you a boost by making you realise you know more than you think or help you identify areas that you don't know as well within a topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

sophya wrote: »
    I thought constitutional was manageable. The case note question saved me though, managed to get it done in 15 minutes at the end

I didn't find it great. Had never planned the case note Q but did it there with stuff I pulled from other areas. I had one good in depth Q and the rest kinda rambled!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EthanSS

What cam up in Const today?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MJW5

Can anyone explain what came up in constitution today please?

Also how many questions would you need to have answered in order to pass an exam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Ms.Cat

Thanks for that Chops, but I think that is exactly where I have gone wrong. I have spent months typing up notes from the manual and typing out sample answers and I honestly dont know anything right now.

Any tips on what the hell I should do now with 3 exams next week?!

Buy nutshells quickly and learn as many topics as you can! Supplement w/ any important cases you remember from your notes! It means that you should be able to get five basic questions, which is better than four or three with detail!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

EthanSS wrote: »
    What cam up in Const today?
    Not the stuff I wanted.

Case notes: Pringle, Tuohy, McCrystal & McGee
    Principles and policies (again ffs)
    Property rights
    Free expression
    Journalistic privilege
    Separation of powers Judiciary
    Free expression v privacy
    Freedom of association

Not in that order - I cut out expression, privilege, livelihood, p&p (the only thing out I left out of separation of powers) & association figuring that they wouldn't all show again. Gutted as I'll be back in October for sure.

I was kicking myself on the way out but will relax today and put the head down for next week tomorrow.

Not the stuff I wanted.

Case notes: Pringle, Tuohy, McCrystal & McGee
    Principles and policies (again ffs)
    Property rights
    Free expression
    Journalistic privilege
    Separation of powers Judiciary
    Free expression v privacy
    Freedom of association

Not in that order - I cut out expression, privilege, livelihood, p&p (the only thing out I left out of separation of powers) & association figuring that they wouldn't all show again. Gutted as I'll be back in October for sure.

I was kicking myself on the way out but will relax today and put the head down for next week tomorrow.

I was surprised that non-delegation came up as both an essay and a problem question. I took that windfall question as dealing with property and non-delegation, hope I was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

This might sound incredibly stupid and apologies if I'm posting in the wrong thread but I cannot find the answer to my question and nobody I've asked seems to know.

Do we pay for the PPC 1 & PPC 2 ourselves or is it the responsibility of the solicitor you have your training contract with?

There is info available if grants for PPC and that is what has confused me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭safc_pete

I was surprised that non-delegation came up as both an essay and a problem question. I took that windfall question as dealing with property and non-delegation, hope I was right.

I did property rights, locus standi and fair procedures.

safc_pete wrote: »

I did that as well for it. I felt like I was repeating myself a good bit with p&ps and sop and non delegation in a few areas but feckit. It's done now, I'll focus on next week!

Oh wait, I did non delegation in it too!

Threw in a bit of everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LostOutForeign

I did property rights, right to a livelihood, locus standi and proportionality... Kicking myself for not spotting the non-delegation issue :(

I did property rights, right to a livelihood, locus standi and proportionality... Kicking myself for not spotting the non-delegation issue :(

I didn't mention the right to livelihood because I was rushing to finish it and get onto my last question. Also didn't write anything on locus standi and kicking myself now. But I did have a few lines on proportionality and fair procedures. Also wrote a little on deference based on the fact that the legislation dealt with taxation a bit.

• Advertisement

I think they word those Q's so widely that you won't be penalised much for leaving out a little bit... (that's what I'm telling myself!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement