Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

safc_pete wrote: »
    I'm the same. I did the 4 probs. Please tell me there was penalty clauses as well as implied terms on the one with the grain. After that, I answered the Specific Performance Q as one would have answered it in Equity.

I mostly referred to Victoria Laundries as Grains could not have been aware of the subsequent contract with McKenna so couldn't be liable for the loss of damages in profits. I did also mention the implied term based on the "Custom and Practice" test. Ya on the second part there was definitely a reference to exclusion clauses. I just said they had to make sure the set amount of damages were reasonable (liquidated damages clause) as if it was excessive it would be a penalty clause and would not be enforced.

Ya I was tempted to do the SP question and I had studied it for Equity and did the Q for it on that paper. I was just a bit unsure about it for some reason and the revocation/rejection and vague/uncertain contract two part Q seemed more straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

safc_pete wrote: »
    I've just done 4. Mentally, they're very draining. I'd say do 5. Leave out EU & Constitutional and then take your pick from there.

Thanks for the advice. The only reason I'm thinking of doing more is because I won't be working for the summer so could really hit the books!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

dashdoll wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. The only reason I'm thinking of doing more is because I won't be working for the summer so could really hit the books!

Definitely wouldn't recommend all 8.. Even if you study full time, I think if I were you I'd aim for 6 ,like study for 6, then closer to the application deadline, decide how many you are actually gonna sit , 4/5.. Or 6 if you think you are ready. Peter is right those exams are very mentally and physically draining, it's not good for your physical or mental health to do too many :p

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Anyways, even if you're not working it is not physically and mentally possible to study more than 9 hours per day everyday.

I'm saying 9 hours because that is what I have been clocking for 10 weeks prior to each of my sittings - not every day but about 5 days per week. I sat 4 in the first sitting and 4 in the second. I was mentally and physically drained and at some stage even lost the will to live hahahaha!

Now, we all have different methods of studying and you don't study everything as it's just not possible. Depending on your study method you might have enough time to cover all 8 subjects over the summer but it is not going to be easy by any means. Also, there is no need to try and focus on 8 and only barely covering them. I'm not saying that's what you'll do but it is better to focus on 5 max and cover them properly.

My study method is probably a bad and long winded one but it's one that works for me. I read a chapter and condense it down to about 6 pages. I then memorise that like a parrot. With that method, I can tell you that the following subjects will each take you roughly a week to ten days to work through, if you're clocking about 9 hours per day 5 days per week (depending on which manuals you are using. I used the Griffith Manuals)
    They are: Contract, Criminal, Equity, Tort and Property. Now, from experience I'm telling you that it's not possible to sit on our ass for everyday for 9 hours. You will get fed up, you'll want alcohol and food and to be brutally honest, you'll actually do anything at some point not to study!! So, working in all the possible 'procrastinating' days each of the above subjects should take you about 10 days to get through if your planning on staying somewhat sane!

Constitution, Eu and Company are the bigger subjects and you can give yourself about 2 weeks each for Constitution and EU and about 12 days for Company.

Again, I'm talking about my study method and experience and if your method is similar to mine you will work through 8 subjects in about 3 months. That is tough going and no matter how enthusiastic you are starting off, that enthusiasm will soon fade!!! I am not trying to scare you in anyway just being honest. These exams are tough and tiresome.

I would also advise you to get a hold of past exam papers and answers. They are an excellent guide as to how a particular chapter is examined.

I hope the above helps to give you some indication of what you are actually attempting. Best of luck with your exams and may the force be with you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Anyways, even if you're not working it is not physically and mentally possible to study more than 9 hours per day everyday.

I'm saying 9 hours because that is what I have been clocking for 10 weeks prior to each of my sittings - not every day but about 5 days per week. I sat 4 in the first sitting and 4 in the second. I was mentally and physically drained and at some stage even lost the will to live hahahaha!

Now, we all have different methods of studying and you don't study everything as it's just not possible. Depending on your study method you might have enough time to cover all 8 subjects over the summer but it is not going to be easy by any means. Also, there is no need to try and focus on 8 and only barely covering them. I'm not saying that's what you'll do but it is better to focus on 5 max and cover them properly.

My study method is probably a bad and long winded one but it's one that works for me. I read a chapter and condense it down to about 6 pages. I then memorise that like a parrot. With that method, I can tell you that the following subjects will each take you roughly a week to ten days to work through, if you're clocking about 9 hours per day 5 days per week (depending on which manuals you are using. I used the Griffith Manuals)
    They are: Contract, Criminal, Equity, Tort and Property. Now, from experience I'm telling you that it's not possible to sit on our ass for everyday for 9 hours. You will get fed up, you'll want alcohol and food and to be brutally honest, you'll actually do anything at some point not to study!! So, working in all the possible 'procrastinating' days each of the above subjects should take you about 10 days to get through if your planning on staying somewhat sane!

Constitution, Eu and Company are the bigger subjects and you can give yourself about 2 weeks each for Constitution and EU and about 12 days for Company.

Again, I'm talking about my study method and experience and if your method is similar to mine you will work through 8 subjects in about 3 months. That is tough going and no matter how enthusiastic you are starting off, that enthusiasm will soon fade!!! I am not trying to scare you in anyway just being honest. These exams are tough and tiresome.

I would also advise you to get a hold of past exam papers and answers. They are an excellent guide as to how a particular chapter is examined.

I hope the above helps to give you some indication of what you are actually attempting. Best of luck with your exams and may the force be with you!!

Thanks so much for the detailed reply, some really great advice here, especially taking the procrastinating into account!

The learning off by heart aspect terrifies me, no notion about how I will be able to remember so many case names for different topics and subjects!

I think I'm going to aim to sign up for 6. Will be able to start studying at the start of June and will know closer to the exam closing date how many I will be prepared to do by then.

Thanks again! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Does anyone know if there are going to be two different sets of results both 6 weeks from the last Friday of the exams or will the results from both sittings be brought out together?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I was browsing through the latest published judgments on Courts.ie and this one is useful for anyone who wants a quick run down on Section 150 Restrictions. The credit card aspect of it is something that might pop up in a problem question as well.

Another of Barrett J's restriction judgments is here. It's worth noting the Judges background.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are going to be two different sets of results both 6 weeks from the last Friday of the exams or will the results from both sittings be brought out together?

Separate as far as I know. March meant to be out may 9th but could be earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

Ownleme wrote: »
    Separate as far as I know. March meant to be out may 9th but could be earlier

I was thinking May 2nd? They came out May 3rd last year and finished around the same time as this year (March 23rd I think).

Perhaps that's the optimist in me.

EDIT: May 9 is six weeks, so that seems logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 71fe1

apriori wrote: »
    What's the general consensus on the best manual to use?

I had Independent colleges for tort, criminal, land and equity. I found them okay but the land manual is a disaster.

Sitting EU, Constitutional, Contract and Company next so I want to make sure I have the best one for each.

Why is the land independent manual so bad?? Having the same issue myself with choosing manuals!

• Advertisement

I was thinking May 2nd? They came out May 3rd last year and finished around the same time as this year (March 23rd I think).

Perhaps that's the optimist in me.

EDIT: May 9 is six weeks, so that seems logical.

Yeah official line was definitely may 9th at time of sign up but supposedly might be earlier now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

71fe1 wrote: »
    Why is the land independent manual so bad?? Having the same issue myself with choosing manuals!

In my experience, you would have been better off getting Fionna Londras Property Law book, than that manual.

There is not enough information in the manual. (solely my own experience)

Londras' book is excellent! And of course,Wylie too (that is the bible) , but the former is dirt cheap (the book, not the person lol) . If you have access to first law / west law, no harm trailing through the Conveyance Property Law Journal too!!!!! (Some brilliant articles / war of words between two well known writers on the law of adverse possession, Mee is also very good with his articles)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Yeah official line was definitely may 9th at time of sign up but supposedly might be earlier now

Hi, can I ask what makes you say they might be earlier now? :confused:

Even if you were not working, and had no social life, DO NOT TRY TO SIT more than 4 at one time.

Everyone will tell you, even the bright ones, that the first sitting , where you have to do four, is HELL! ABSOLUTE LIVING HELL Physically and more, importantly mentally! And, that is even when you actually enjoy the subject

Do 4 at the start, and frankly, considering how slow the industry is going, do 2 more at one sitting and the other 2 at another sitting (ie potentially having all 8 passed in one year)

You will be surprised what crops up as distraction in the summer; good weather, World Cup, 21st , other parties, sunny , weather, funerals, weddings...........

Personally, back in the day I sat Equity, Contract , Property and Company on the first sitting. The first three have similar issues in them so that is why I kept them together

I did EU and Constitution together - I know some say , no no no. But, I believe alot of the principles / ideas are similar. I liked both subjects, and surprisingly they weren't too bad - buy ya, there is a lot to both - definitely need / should do either of these with only another subject (eg contract etc) Essentially read the case law, in both subjects, that is a huge thing! (especially as both exams ask for short notes on cases - these cases tend to be the main precedent for the legal principles that you are studying)

Sat Tort and Criminal together.(Campbell , O'Sullivan Kilcummins book is fantastic!)

3 separate sittings, all done in one year, head utterly wrecked. No harm in spacing them out either. So try doing 4 in one sitting 4 in another sitting (whether the imediate sitting after or the following year) is mad, never mind trying to sit 5 or 8 in one go.

The training contract won't run away, take your time, study and understand each subject well , do it once, do it right , without having to repeat them (if you do have to repeat, don't freak out)

dinemo6 wrote: »
    Hi, can I ask what makes you say they might be earlier now? :confused:

I understand from the Law Society that the provisional date for results of the March sitting of fe1s is Friday, 9 May 2014, however, they may be issued earlier than that date.

Email from law firm. Also I guess less people than they expected did it in march so they'll get them corrected quicker.

In terms of how many to sit at once a partner told me it'd look better to space them out n pass them than try all 8 at once n fail. He said that didn't show a measured approach which is something firms would look for in a trainee

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

Does anyone now how likely/unlikely it is that the time table for September for October will change?? My only experience with the FE-1s has been in April and obviously there was a lot of change in that respect.

Really dreading the results, I felt like I could have passed the big three, I feel like I would be just over or just under the 50 either way but again I've no experience as to how they are marked. Don't want to get my hopes up though as literally everyone that I talk to say they failed them the first time round so I'm thinking that is probably the most likely outcome. God it would be great to pass them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dobbo

Anyone hear back from Mason Hayes Curran 2014 trainee ship interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

I hope everyone's exams went well over the past few weeks!

This thread will probably be like a ghost town for a while as everyone is off taking a well deserved break!

I'm just looking for some advise. I'm finishing work at the end of May so will have pretty much 4 months to study full time and I want to get as many exams out of the way in Sept/Oct as possible.

Would I be insane to attempt all 8 given the time that I have or would I be better of sitting 6/7 as I don't want to sit 8 and only confuse myself totally. I just feel that with all the time I have I could give a good few a lash and treat studying like a full time job. Would love to here peoples thoughts on this.

Also, re prep courses, I have a law degree and masters but I'm not the best at learning off etc. Would I be way better off to bite the bullet and do the courses instead of just buying the most recent manuals/sample answers etc? The thought of forking out over 2k for these is a bit sickening but to sit them and fail would just be worse so would appreciate any thoughts on that also if it is realy worth it and if it would make a difference.

Might as well give my few thoughts on the matter. I have heard of one person who sat all 8 exams in one sitting and nailed all of them so it is possible.....that same person was just made partner in big 5 firm at about 35 so that's the level you're talking about!!

All messing aside, I just sat my first four. My background is 1.1 law degree and a traineeship with a big 5 firm and I can honestly say I found sitting four so tough and draining. I can remember last summer after I finished college thinking they can't be too bad, I've sailed through college, work hard and I should sail through these too.....I couldn't have been more wrong!! The workload with these exams is off the charts!!

Roughly speaking, you probably need 12-14 topics per subject to be covered. That is 96-112 topics total. Am I right in saying you're thinking of starting in May? That would give you about 4 months of study (circa 120 days). Do you really feel you can prep 100 topics in 4 months. In my experience, in order to have a topic fully prepared and learnt off, exam Q's gone through, basically everything you need to be comfortable tackling any question you may get on the topic in the exam, you need 2 days.

So after all that waffling, unless you are a) exceptionally clever, b) exceptionally hard working and c) an exceptionally efficient and quick worker don't put yourself through hell......start studying in June, work hard i.e Monday to Friday and from August on, weekends too, take on 4 and get through them. I don't think the stress taking on 8 would bring is worth the time saved as ultimately you are going to have to wait until the following September to go to Blackhall so in that sense, rushing the FE-1s is kind of pointless!!

S12b wrote: »
    Might as well give my few thoughts on the matter. I have heard of one person who sat all 8 exams in one sitting and nailed all of them so it is possible.....that same person was just made partner in big 5 firm at about 35 so that's the level you're talking about!!

All messing aside, I just sat my first four. My background is 1.1 law degree and a traineeship with a big 5 firm and I can honestly say I found sitting four so tough and draining. I can remember last summer after I finished college thinking they can't be too bad, I've sailed through college, work hard and I should sail through these too.....I couldn't have been more wrong!! The workload with these exams is off the charts!!

Roughly speaking, you probably need 12-14 topics per subject to be covered. That is 96-112 topics total. Am I right in saying you're thinking of starting in May? That would give you about 4 months of study (circa 120 days). Do you really feel you can prep 100 topics in 4 months. In my experience, in order to have a topic fully prepared and learnt off, exam Q's gone through, basically everything you need to be comfortable tackling any question you may get on the topic in the exam, you need 2 days.

So after all that waffling, unless you are a) exceptionally clever, b) exceptionally hard working and c) an exceptionally efficient and quick worker don't put yourself through hell......start studying in June, work hard i.e Monday to Friday and from August on, weekends too, take on 4 and get through them. I don't think the stress taking on 8 would bring is worth the time saved as ultimately you are going to have to wait until the following September to go to Blackhall so in that sense, rushing the FE-1s is kind of pointless!!

Can't wait to hear your results now. Bet you've won prizes in them!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kildaregal

Can I ask those of you who have obtained or know the norm regarding payment when doing your traineeship in a small to medium firm? I know the bigger firms pay when in the office and while in blackhall. However is it the norm to only get paid when in the office in a small-medium firm? Minimum wage I know is all to be expected. Tia! I do know some people do their traineeships unpaid, unfortunately I can't afford to do that.

• Advertisement

Can't wait to hear your results now. Bet you've won prizes in them!

The real prize is passing them, without re-sitting them, even if its a mere 50%. It bets the upset of failing one and having to resit it again. Many of good person had to do resits and one could never think any less of them. (of course it looks fabulous in the CV)

Ownleme is spot on, you are destined to be up the creek going into an exam with just 6-7 topics learnt off. You really need to cover as much as possible . Quality time is needed for each subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Could anyone share their experience on how the papers were marked?

Just sat my first 4, I know there is no point in worrying about it now because it's all done. Just wondering how are they actually marked?

Is there a better chance in passing if you have attempted 5 questions? I ran out of time for company, attempted an 5th question, a very rushed shares questions.. Is he a very hard marker?

Would people have passed the fe1s with 3 good questions, 1 ok question , 1 dogey one ? Or better chance in passing with 5 ok questions? And when people are talking about a good question, do they mean they have a very good knowledge and 80-90% of relevant cases etc ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 legallyblond

I think it very difficult to tell how they went. I did my first four in October. I was convinced I didn't pass any of them except criminal but I passed them all. I had a really dodgy last question in Constitutional on a topic I hadn't looked at in days and had to do because I was desperate. I was convinced I wouldn't pass it but I got 59% and I think that Constitutional is meant to be one of the hardest marked.
    Any lecturer I have had always say you must attempt the 5th question but they also say that even if you get a couple of things down like an outline that could be enough to get you over the 50 mark. I passed my first four with say 3/4 relatively good questions and the last one usually wasn't the best.

Can't wait for these results to come out. Are the March ones meant to be Friday May 9th. is there any chance they could be this Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 71fe1

I think it very difficult to tell how they went. I did my first four in October. I was convinced I didn't pass any of them except criminal but I passed them all. I had a really dodgy last question in Constitutional on a topic I hadn't looked at in days and had to do because I was desperate. I was convinced I wouldn't pass it but I got 59% and I think that Constitutional is meant to be one of the hardest marked.
    Any lecturer I have had always say you must attempt the 5th question but they also say that even if you get a couple of things down like an outline that could be enough to get you over the 50 mark. I passed my first four with say 3/4 relatively good questions and the last one usually wasn't the best.

Can't wait for these results to come out. Are the March ones meant to be Friday May 9th. is there any chance they could be this Friday?

I emailed the law soc and they said they'll be out mid-May? Don't really know what that means but I'd say they don't even know when they'll be out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

71fe1 wrote: »
    I emailed the law soc and they said they'll be out mid-May? Don't really know what that means but I'd say they don't even know when they'll be out!

Well going on previous trends from the last good few sittings they are always available online 6 Fridays after the last exam. But with the extra sitting this time around no one can be sure.

To legallyblond, no, they definitively won't be out this Friday. They will email us in advance detailing how you log in etc. if it's your first time to receive results, you did 4 in October so I assume you know this already. No way would they put results up without emailing us first.

chops018 wrote: »
    Well going on previous trends from the last good few sittings they are always available online 6 Fridays after the last exam. But with the extra sitting this time around no one can be sure.

To legallyblond, no, they definitively won't be out this Friday. They will email us in advance detailing how you log in etc. if it's your first time to receive results, you did 4 in October so I assume you know this already. No way would they put results up without emailing us first.

Originally they said the 9th ie when the first announced the new dates. I really hope that hasn't changed. But because its never an official date I guess they can change up to the last minute. So desperate to get the results I looked up what happened in October! Seems I got an email at 4pm on the 20th to say they'd be out the 22nd. At this stage looks like next Friday at the earliest :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Originally they said the 9th ie when the first announced the new dates. I really hope that hasn't changed. But because its never an official date I guess they can change up to the last minute. So desperate to get the results I looked up what happened in October! Seems I got an email at 4pm on the 20th to say they'd be out the 22nd. At this stage looks like next Friday at the earliest :(

Yeah I'd imagine it will be the 9th and we will get emails next week.

I hope it is anyway as I'm anxious to find out too.

Wonder will they put up results for both sittings on the 9th though.

Then again, I'd say the examiners would have extra papers to correct? That could mean it might not be till the end of May, or do you think they would have got cracking marking March's exams as soon as?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 unknown1990

chops018 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd imagine it will be the 9th and we will get emails next week.

I hope it is anyway as I'm anxious to find out too.

Wonder will they put up results for both sittings on the 9th though.

Then again, I'd say the examiners would have extra papers to correct? That could mean it might not be till the end of May, or do you think they would have got cracking marking March's exams as soon as?

I was speaking to someone in a law firm yesterday who said the Law Society told them the results for March would be out in May and April in June but I don't know what stage in the month they mean

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Glinda!

Law Society Results page March 2014 results available Friday 9th May at 9.30am

April results not til June and also on Friday the 13th? :-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

hi, could someone kindly direct me to the fe1 manual sale page? hope exams (and results) went well for all.

Also, I have 4 left
    Criminal
    Company
    Property
    Equity

Which set (assuming I take Property and equity together) are the "easier"

Oh, and when do Independent start their course again?

Many thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement