Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Midlecat wrote: »
    oh my god, i did 3 questions in criminal, 4 in property and studied for equity on way up in car and signed name in contract just. i just got 53 58 and 50 i dont believe it can they change? only thing is was i was testing the waters first time sitting them and results not too high. will future employers look at this?

You just got your first 3 in the bag by doing a test run, you should be ecstatic!

To answer your question, no, I don't think it's a huge factor. Things like experience etc. are much more appealing. These are a threshold exam, just get the 50 on the dot to pass and you're laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

chops018 wrote: »
    You just got your first 3 in the bag by doing a test run, you should be ecstatic!

To answer your question, no, I don't think it's a huge factor. Things like experience etc. are much more appealing. These are a threshold exam, just get the 50 on the dot to pass and you're laughing.

Chops i am laughing, out of masters 6 years ago and working full time jobbridge in solicitors. I screamed so loud my boyfriend thought there was a rat in the house! im delighted for you too thats it so!

Midlecat wrote: »
    Chops i am laughing, out of masters 6 years ago and working full time jobbridge in solicitors. I screamed so loud my boyfriend thought there was a rat in the house! im delighted for you too thats it so!

Good stuff! Hopefully you cruise through the rest too.

Most horrendous things I've ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MissLeo

I got 71% in.criminal couldn't believe it didn't think they even gave seventies haha! 6 in The bag now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

hi, could someone kindly direct me to the fe1 manual sale page? hope exams (and results) went well for all.

Also, I have 4 left
    Criminal
    Company
    Property
    Equity

Which set (assuming I take Property and equity together) are the "easier"

Oh, and when do Independent start their course again?

Many thanks

Anyone, please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 penny1500

Hey Bob...have some advice re courses if you want to pm me...congrats on your results!!!

bobsterlfc wrote: »
    Well done to all who got good results today. Got 4 myself at second time of asking so over the moon.

Anyone have any recommendations on Prep Courses for Tort, Property, EU and Constitutional. Looking for advice on good lecturers etc.

Cheers

Hey there, are you doing a course with Independent this time around?
    Anyone, please

Hey guys, congrats to all who passed their exams!!! Well done!!! Anyone doing any courses for the next sessions? :)

penny1500 wrote: »
    Hey there, are you doing a course with Independent this time around?

hi Penny, Yeah, i have used Independent for my first 4 and passed first time. (all four) subjects as mentioned above. Would recommend the college, not cheap, like them all but books of notes they give you are pretty decent, location is good, lecturers are pretty good and the fact you have access to the lectures via video recorded in case you miss them is such a substantial help.

What exams are you planning on doing in Sept/Oct?

have you any notes for property, equity, company or criminal from FE1 courses?

Is anyone thinking of doing Mark Cockerill's Company Law course in City Colleges for the next sitting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Is anyone thinking of doing Mark Cockerill's Company Law course in City Colleges for the next sitting?

Im thinking of signing up for some of the city colleges courses. Going to be totally broke though between the cost of these, exam fees and accomodation during the exams but I have to pass these exams and am afraid I would regret not paying for the prep courses if I didnt pass!

Hey dashdoll...sent you a pm there... :)

dashdoll wrote: »
    Im thinking of signing up for some of the city colleges courses. Going to be totally broke though between the cost of these, exam fees and accomodation during the exams but I have to pass these exams and am afraid I would regret not paying for the prep courses if I didnt pass!

can someone clarify for me whether you have to sit your last set of exams (assuming they are your last in a set of 2 or more, ie if you have 2 left to pass, you cannot sit one in March, pass it, and then sit your remaining one in October.
    I thought I read that in a discussion on this very thread and the LS website doesnt over clarify the rules in this regard.

I have 4 left and with work commitments I am trying to find the most feasible way to approach them, in terms of finance and, of course workload and stress. Obviously 2 and 2 sounds like the best approach but tbh, I have even considered 1 in Sept, 2 in March and the remaining exam in October.

What do people think?

I have never heard that you have to sit 2 in your final sitting...and if you sit 3 and 1 or 2 and 2 at least you would be available to go to Blackhall the following Sept, hopefully having passed the 4! :)

can someone clarify for me whether you have to sit your last set of exams (assuming they are your last in a set of 2 or more, ie if you have 2 left to pass, you cannot sit one in March, pass it, and then sit your remaining one in October.
    I thought I read that in a discussion on this very thread and the LS website doesnt over clarify the rules in this regard.

I have 4 left and with work commitments I am trying to find the most feasible way to approach them, in terms of finance and, of course workload and stress. Obviously 2 and 2 sounds like the best approach but tbh, I have even considered 1 in Sept, 2 in March and the remaining exam in October.

What do people think?

I have never heard that you have to sit 2 in your final sitting...and if you sit 3 and 1 or 2 and 2 at least you would be available to go to Blackhall the following Sept, hopefully having passed the 4! :)

Thanks penny, but as I said to you, I'm still not sure. I have recollection of this point coming up and someone was adamant that you have to FINISH your exams with more than one exam. It sounds nonsensical but the Law Society are reknowned for such nonsensical and money making rules. I think it is to deter people sitting all their remaining exams in singular sittings after passing the first 3 also, which makes them harder obviously.

Also thanks for the PM, I'll reply in a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Lolers11

Thanks penny, but as I said to you, I'm still not sure. I have recollection of this point coming up and someone was adamant that you have to FINISH your exams with more than one exam. It sounds nonsensical but the Law Society are reknowned for such nonsensical and money making rules. I think it is to deter people sitting all their remaining exams in singular sittings after passing the first 3 also, which makes them harder obviously.

Also thanks for the PM, I'll reply in a bit!

I hope/don't think that's right. I've heard of quite a few people doing 1 on their last set.
    However I'm defo not positive about that! Anyone else know for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

Lolers11 wrote: »
    I hope/don't think that's right. I've heard of quite a few people doing 1 on their last set.

Yes. It is completely untrue. Lots of people finish on one. Think about it lads. What would happen if you'd 7 done otherwise? You'd be left in eternal limbo.

Lolers11 wrote: »

I just finished on one and the letter with the result says I have them all etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

Hi guys I have Tort Contract Company EU and Constitutional left- which are best to do next? If I want to start Blackhall in Oct 15? I think five might be too many so thinking Tort Contract EU and Constitutional? I have my best friends wedding abroad in week before so conscious that tort and company are back to back otherwise would do tort contract company and constitutional...

Well done to all who passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Any word on when the April sitting results are out? Will it be 6 wks from the last fri?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Any word on when the April sitting results are out? Will it be 6 wks from the last fri?

Apparently it's june 13th which is a Friday!!!! dun dun DUNNNNNN!!

Ages away, so annoying the suspense is killing me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

kiwi33 wrote: »
    Apparently it's june 13th which is a Friday!!!! dun dun DUNNNNNN!!

Ages away, so annoying the suspense is killing me!!

June 13th! Miles away yet! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Morris_fe1s

Do City Colleges provide good online resources for the fe1s?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Marysmyth2011

Early 40s, middle rank public servant and considering FE1's

Did 4 about ten years ago and passed two.

Unsure where to do- GCD, City Colleges or Independent- like 2 lecturers in GCD and 1 each in both others- would that be messy?

Also, considering the online option- does it work ok?#

Finally, is there any student forum I can join online?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

Unsure where to do- GCD, City Colleges or Independent- like 2 lecturers in GCD and 1 each in both others- would that be messy?

Thanks in advance!

Why are you doing them would be first question. Otherwise I'd recommend getting the manuals but not bothering with the actual lectures, very time consuming if you're working. Not an efficient way of doing them.

As a career option and personal- would like a professional qualification. Obviously, as a public servant, no necessity to leave- but I would prefer a more challenging role. Note that I will need to give this a lot of effort and perhaps up to 10 years to get properly trained, etc- but one has to have a challenge!

Are there no jobs? opportunities? I see a colleague who qualified and now based in Australia. That sounds interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

Hi all,

Prep courses and study is beginning shortly. :-(

I have EU, Constitutional, Tort and Company left. I am doin them in twos so I was just looking for advice - which two should I do together.

I was planning on doin Cont and EU in two separately sitting but which of the other two should I do with each one or does it really matter.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Thanks in advance!

Hi Mary,

Before getting into the finer points of the FE1s, I feel you should be 100% clear on the training process.

As I'm sure you are aware, passing the FE1s does not mean you are qualified as anything, it simply means you are allowed to begin your traineeship, provided you have secured one!

That is the key point in my opinion, passing the FE1s is a waste of time unless you either have a traineeship or are confident that you will secure one. Do you plan to work as a solicitor??

Traineeships are not all that easy to obtain in Ireland at present. You would also need to consider the type of traineeship you might obtain. The ideal is of course an offer from one of the major firms like Arthur Cox or Matheson. They will pay your fees for Blackhall (which are substantial) and also pay you a good salary while you train. The other end of the spectrum is having to pay Blackhall fees yourself and not receiving a salary while you train.

Now I understand all that might seem a bit negative and I really don't want to put you off anything, I'm simply trying to set things out as they are!!

Let me know your thoughts on the above.

Regards.

Thank you for feedback- even if I had to pay for the traineeship, it wouldn't be that stressful- as I am sure I would reap the rewards for future employment prospects- Is this not true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭makemecrazy

Does anyone have an updated contract law grid they wouldn't mind sharing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement