Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Marysmyth2011

Congrats MilkyPops- how long did it take you from start to finish?

Also, any luck with contract- how do the firms decide- do they look at if you have all 50s and say they found someone better- or does it matter at that level...

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Does anyone have any tips on how they studied for their exams now which were successful from experience? Is it best to prepare essays on large topics or just learn the topics very broadly?! Also, any up to date grids around for company/contract?

How big a topic do you want? I was going to contribute but I would probably repeat things you've seen already and make it a huge wall of text that might be tough to get through as there's a lot to think & talk about.

Tempted to go onto Reddit: I passed my FE1's in two sittings, AMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Redo91 wrote: »
    Firstly congratulations to all those of you who have these exams done and dusted!

I sat my first four in April and ended up passing the magic 3. If you had offered me the 3 passes before I sat these exams I would have snapped your hand off but in the end I was really disappointed to not pass all 4. I felt the exams went really well and even though I had never sat them before, and therefore didn't know the exact standard expected, I was convinced I had them all passed. Not only did I think I had them passed but I expected to get around 55%-60%. In the end I got the bare 50% in the three I passed (Equity, Criminal and Contract). Property was my best subject in college and it's supposedly one of the easier subjects in the FE-1's. I remember reading on here that posters had passed it despite only attempting 4 out of the 5 questions. The examiner reports did place an emphasis on attempting the 5 Q's but didn't suggest that a high standard was required. I felt on the day it went well and I answered 5 good Q's but in the end I only got 46%.

I am looking for advice from anyone who has had papers re-checked before. I remember reading on here (it may have been the old FE-1 thread) that there is a certain range of results that are worth getting re-checked. Apparently if you get 48-49 it is re-checked as a matter of course so if you haven't been given 50% already there is little point in getting it re-checked. I read that anything from 43-47 would be worth getting checked again. Has anybody on here gotten 46% or lower before and had it successfully re-checked? Also do you get any feed back on your paper if you do it re-checked?

Apologies for the wall of text and thanks in advance for any help.

This is kind of how I feel as well, I actually thought property went well despite the fact the questions asked in April were a little odd.I had 2 very good questions,2 good questions and 1 ok question. They were no waffle, I knew what I was talking about and I actually very like property too, had done one of those revision course, had done past questions. Would have thought I got a little higher than 52,not that I am disappointed about the 52 I got, I am very happy that it's over 50. It's just that I had done a lot for this subject wonder how was it actually marked really,I have passed Equity with 54 with so such less work and never done a single past question. Passed Company at 57 with 4 questions (2 good & 2 ok Qs) and kind of a pathetic attempt of a 5th question and Company was suppose to be one of the harder ones!

Anyways, just focus on that you have got 3, that is an achievement in itself. Don't know anything about rechecks but I have known people that went from 43 to 50.. worth a try if you have the cash, especially considering you thought you did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saor19

Has anybody done a preparatory tort course? Intend to do one but not sure which would be the best. Would appreciate any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

Non law background it took me three goes to get the three passes under my belt. I passed Contract, Tort and Criminal and failed that awful Equity. As Equity is still fresh in my mind i will obviously resit that exam in September but i was thinking of taking two at a time as i am working full time. Any suggestions as to what two??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Non law background it took me three goes to get the three passes under my belt. I passed Contract, Tort and Criminal and failed that awful Equity. As Equity is still fresh in my mind i will obviously resit that exam in September but i was thinking of taking two at a time as i am working full time. Any suggestions as to what two??
    I'd suggest Property as one as this overlaps a lot with Equity - specific performance, undue influence, rescission for example. I'd also suggest Company and leave the big two (Constitution, EU) for last.
    Does anyone have any tips on how they studied for their exams now which were successful from experience? Is it best to prepare essays on large topics or just learn the topics very broadly?! Also, any up to date grids around for company/contract?
    Tips? Try to dedicate time to them. It sounds obvious but what I mean is try go give yourself at least 30 mins per day to get through something as it is far better to plough through it than leave it build up. 1 topic or 1/2 a huge topic being completed in a session is very good for the confidence as you'll feel like you're accomplishing something. It's doubly important if you work full-time.

As for material, I suggest you learn the topics broadly. One of the criticisms of examiners is that people are learning essays and trying to shoehorn them into answers when they're thrown a curveball i.e. they get the topic but the question is phrased in such a way that the essay answer won't help much. At least if you learn the principles of topics, you can apply them to the area and sprinkle with cases and waffle - you should get points as you show you can understand what is being asked and how to apply the law to it. It worked for me.

You don't need to do a course with Indy/Griffith/City. The manuals for past exams can be found easily on Adverts or the FE1 for sale thread (I've got stuff but won't link it because I don't want this thread closed). They'll give you what you need: you might have to put in an extra hour finding and reading any changes in the law since they were published if they're older but they'll give you the basics.

You should also keep an eye on this or similar threads in Boards. While some people will cause you to panic as they start asking questions about topics you haven't studied or have discounted (I'm looking at you Milkypops) there are often some very handy nuggets of wisdom that emerge: someone asked about Collins v Gharion the night before Equity last October and I didn't have it in my notes so spent half-an-hour getting to know it. It saved my ass as the Mareva question featured a quote from the case and I could fill my answer with the facts to show I was familiar with it. Thanks to whoever put that up.

Two things for the exams themselves.

1. Bring highlighters. I would have bet a mortgage that I failed 3 exams but managed to pass them, and I reckon part of it was that I made the examiners job easier by highlighting all of the cases with a marker. I know my writing can be problematic for people with eyesight problems (it is their eyes, not my writing) so making it easier for them might make them more generous.

2. Don't leave the exam early. I stayed til the end of each one and I was surprised what I could remember when I had two minutes left and started scribbling things on the page for at least two papers. I saw a lot of people leave Constitutional early and was tempted to join them as it was a horrific paper (for me at least) but I stayed and wrote what I knew about each topic. I did 2 good questions, 2 ok and I bad question but I answered five and avoided an examiner bugbear of not doing five questions.

If you've got anymore questions, fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

hahah stormington ....i usually didnt know the topics i was asking questions on myself...panic came from other students again so its a vicious circle :P

Congrats MilkyPops- how long did it take you from start to finish?

Also, any luck with contract- how do the firms decide- do they look at if you have all 50s and say they found someone better- or does it matter at that level...

it took me 5 sittings...baring in mind i had a mini breakdown for one of those sittings and decided not to sit any exams so really 4...equity kept catching me!

im lucky i did a months work exp with a firm and asked again a few months later to see did they have a day or two going here and there and im still with them 3 years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

Does anyone have any opinions on whether it's worth while getting a 42 in your "ghost" subject rechecked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Amelia.Evans

Hi,

I'm hoping to sit first 4 FE1s in October - anybody know how I can get my hands on electronic copies of the manuals?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

Hi,

I'm hoping to sit first 4 FE1s in October - anybody know how I can get my hands on electronic copies of the manuals?

Thanks

As far as I know there is no such thing! You can buy second hand ones off adverts.ie or you can sign up to the prep course and do it online or attend classes but never heard of the colleges giving digital copies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Amelia.Evans

Excuse my ignorance! Thanks, will try Adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

Excuse my ignorance! Thanks, will try Adverts.ie

Haha digital copies would be a lot handier in fairness! Yeah it's probably your best bet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Some people scan them up!

I've a PDF of the Company Law manual, it's the City Colleges one.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

Hi random favour but this is the only place people may have this info...

does anyone have the links from city colleges where they went through the march fe1 paper in advance of the April sitting. I'm specifically hoping to get company, constitutional, tort and contract... That's if the links still work at this stage.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Legal125 wrote: »
    Hi random favour but this is the only place people may have this info...

does anyone have the links from city colleges where they went through the march fe1 paper in advance of the April sitting. I'm specifically hoping to get company, constitutional, tort and contract... That's if the links still work at this stage.

Thanks in advance!

I went through my emails and tried the link for the Company Law one.

You have to put in a username and password. So obviously you will now have to be registered with them. Plus, it says that "guests are not admitted into this meeting".

Back when they showed them you just clicked the link and logged in as a guest, doesn't seem like you can do that anymore.

Maybe email them directly and ask for access to these? I remember Brian Foley would be on here sometimes and he would kindly oblige some by sending them a couple of sample answers to questions from the college he tutored at.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for studying Eu law! I've got a Griffith manual but it might aswell be in Chinese!! Is the Craig and de burca book anyway clear or alternatively has anyone passed this using a nutshell! I'd appreciate any advice anybody can give.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Brendan2011

I'd advise getting the Independent Colleges manual on EU as its much easier to study.
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for studying Eu law! I've got a Griffith manual but it might aswell be in Chinese!! Is the Craig and de burca book anyway clear or alternatively has anyone passed this using a nutshell! I'd appreciate any advice anybody can give.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brannid3

Hi all,

Thanks

I learnt the freedoms, direct effect and I think competition. Past papers helped me a lot.

Eu is overwhelming with material but think logically when answering, what is the question asking me..that kind of thing. It sounds stupid but I passed it first time by not throwing case law all over the place but constructing a logical answer and using 2+ cases in a question. Don't just re hash everything from a manual.

I'd advise getting the Independent Colleges manual on EU as its much easier to study.

Also would advice independant I had second hand manuals of both and ind. far more student friendly. That was all I covered as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

Also would advice independant I had second hand manuals of both and ind. far more student friendly. That was all I covered as well.

Were these the primary basis of your study? or if not, what was?

Not just for Eu, i mean in general!

Were these the primary basis of your study? or if not, what was?

Not just for Eu, i mean in general!

I used manuals and notes for all 8 fe1s but for eu and constitutional i got a few grinds aswell and found them really good and probably would have passed alot sooner with grinds from the beginning.

They know what the examiners are looking for and give condensed notes of all topics they deem relevant. where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

Milkypops wrote: »
    I used manuals and notes for all 8 fe1s but for eu and constitutional i got a few grinds aswell and found them really good and probably would have passed alot sooner with grinds from the beginning.

They know what the examiners are looking for and give condensed notes of all topics they deem relevant. where are you based?

Thanks

Based in Dublin city. I'm going to split EU/Const following advice from most people I know who have done them

I'm a non-law grad so my base of notes isn't the most extensive. Will be relying mostly on manuals, sample answers etc. so really putting in the research to find which are the best to use etc.

Which ones did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

Has anyone else not started yet for September? It's impossible with the world cup and the lovely weather. Haven't opened the books yet!!

Thanks

Based in Dublin city. I'm going to split EU/Const following advice from most people I know who have done them

I'm a non-law grad so my base of notes isn't the most extensive. Will be relying mostly on manuals, sample answers etc. so really putting in the research to find which are the best to use etc.

Which ones did you use?

I used Independent for Property and I think Griffith for the rest, but to be honest i focused on notes and sample answers for most of them. I found the manuals to be too overwhelming and too detailed for what you actually need to answer a question. there looking for a solid 3 page answer using the ILAC (issue law application conclusion) formula not 10 pages of notes u learnt from the manuals.

Send me a private message and Il try and dig up my notes and sample answers for you. Alot of people helped me on this so might aswell do the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Hi guys,

I got a mail from independent colleges about a memory skills seminar this sunday but it won't be available on Moodle.

Learning off and remembering case names is where I have trouble but don't fancy going all the way to Dublin if it isn't much good.

It's by the Memory Academy. Does anyone have any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Deme1989

Hi guys,

I'm starting my PPC1 in September, just wondering if anyone was struggling to find accommodation? Has anyone any suggestions as to what areas or know anyone else who is looking to share an apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭a_star89

Deme1989 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm starting my PPC1 in September, just wondering if anyone was struggling to find accommodation? Has anyone any suggestions as to what areas or know anyone else who is looking to share an apartment?

I know people normally look around Smithfield/Stoneybatter but I worry that area is quite rough. Rental properties also seem to be very hard to come by at the moment and people I know are paying 750 to live in town...

a_star89 wrote: »
    I know people normally look around Smithfield/Stoneybatter but I worry that area is quite rough. Rental properties also seem to be very hard to come by at the moment and people I know are paying 750 to live in town...

Maybe u guys could move to a ppc thread this being an exam thread and all. Just a suggestion given all of us at the min focusing on getting past exam stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭a_star89

Maybe u guys could move to a ppc thread this being an exam thread and all. Just a suggestion given all of us at the min focusing on getting past exam stage.

Apologies! you'll get there ;)

PPC1 people - there is a thread called "PPC1 2014", lets post PPC1 queries there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement