Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

does anyone have the examiners reports for EU and Constitutional for the April sitting of this year??

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saor19

Milkypops wrote: »
    does anyone have the examiners reports for EU and Constitutional for the April sitting of this year??

I don't think they're out yet on the law society's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me what came up in March and April sittings of Tort and Company I would be very grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

In relation to contract exam and consumer protection the new European regulations (consumer information, cancellation and other rights) came into force mid June. They revoked the 2001 distance selling regs and1989 regs, can anyone clarify if this means we just need to know the new regulations for September or where I can find out the position re exam. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

Does anybody have any tips or advice on Constitution or a miracle formula on passing Equity?? This is my first attempt at Constitution and my FOURTH go at Equity 😡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭a_star89

dandadub wrote: »
    Does anybody have any tips or advice on Constitution or a miracle formula on passing Equity?? This is my first attempt at Constitution and my FOURTH go at Equity 😡

Ciaran Patton at independent colleges in great for equity - really simplifies it. definitely worth paying for the course even for one subject to get equity done. Have you been taking any course?

oh stop with the equity....it took me four attempts aswell, including when i freaked and wouldnt sit it! i couldnt get my head around it and still only managed to get 50 on the button the last time! where are you based?? there's a great fella that does grinds in cork if your near there!?

oh stop with the equity....it took me four attempts aswell, including when i freaked and wouldnt sit it! i couldnt get my head around it and still only managed to get 50 on the button the last time! where are you based?? there's a great fella that does grinds in cork if your near there!?

Yes ive had the Independent lectures with Ciaran and still no joy. Im based in Dublin so i dont know whats left to do accept pay the 105 and fail again :(

Yes ive had the Independent lectures with Ciaran and still no joy. Im based in Dublin so i dont know whats left to do accept pay the 105 and fail again :(

look up the law society they have a list of people who give grinds...i found grinds very good....they give you what you need to know not all the extra fluff thats in the books! it would be worth having a few!

also are you highlighting your legislation and cases in your answers and leaving spaces between paragraphs. My grinds fella said that if you have 4/5 cases and the examiner can pick them out easily you have a higher chance of passing cos the examiner doesnt have to pick them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Hi,

Just wondering if the Company Law syllabus has changed for October 2014 sitting due to the new Act?

I did a prep course in March so have a March manual but don't know if this is now out of date..
    E.g. regarding the Ultra Vires Rule etc..

Can anybody who has started a prep course for Oct let me know please....?? :confused:

• Advertisement

dinemo6 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if the Company Law syllabus has changed for October 2014 sitting due to the new Act?

I did a prep course in March so have a March manual but don't know if this is now out of date..
    E.g. regarding the Ultra Vires Rule etc..

Can anybody who has started a prep course for Oct let me know please....?? :confused:

New act not in force yet and as far as I know position as is for exam.

Legal125 wrote: »
    New act not in force yet and as far as I know position as is for exam.

Thanks for quick the reply!

So I am safe enough to learn the course again as it stood for the March/April 2014 sittings??

I have a spare student edition 2009 Act never opened and I rang the Law Society and they said that version can still be taken in to the exam no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Does anyone have copies of the 2013 & 2014 property papers and reports? I have all the earlier ones and notes to swap on.

I'm wondering if a qs on mortgages came up in 2013/2014?

Wondering if it is something I leave it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Go to Eoin Carolan's annual public lecture in UCD or get the handout on his list of the ten most important recent cases..get the list for the past few years if you can.

Dropping back in here after a longish absence, in a traineeship, heading for BHP this autumn.

JC

Deme1989 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm starting my PPC1 in September, just wondering if anyone was struggling to find accommodation? Has anyone any suggestions as to what areas or know anyone else who is looking to share an apartment?

I'm planning to stay well out of town where accommodation is affordable and inhabitable, and use the train to commute because Heuston is so close to BHP and student fares are very cheap - but home is in Co Limerick and want to be half-way there quickly on Friday evenings anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭a_star89

JCJCJC wrote: »
    I'm planning to stay well out of town where accommodation is affordable and inhabitable, and use the train to commute because Heuston is so close to BHP and student fares are very cheap - but home is in Co Limerick and want to be half-way there quickly on Friday evenings anyway.

What kind of areas are you looking at? Like as far as Kildare? Do we qualify for student rates when we are at BHP?

Also - perhaps we can discuss on the PPC1 2014 page as this is mainly for exam topics!

a_star89 wrote: »
    What kind of areas are you looking at? Like as far as Kildare? Do we qualify for student rates when we are at BHP?

Also - perhaps we can discuss on the PPC1 2014 page as this is mainly for exam topics!

No prob, didn't know there was such a page...going there..

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

dashdoll wrote: »
    Does anyone have copies of the 2013 & 2014 property papers and reports? I have all the earlier ones and notes to swap on.

I'm wondering if a qs on mortgages came up in 2013/2014?

Wondering if it is something I leave it out?

I don't have copies but the Autumn 2013 and March 2014 exams both had mortgage questions. Both questions were very similar and involved a general discussion on the remedies available to a mortgagee under the pre-2009 law in the event of the mortgagor failing to pay the mortgage instalments. You need to be clear about the distinctions between the different remedies but otherwise this is an incredibly straightforward question. I think the Autumn paper may have had a second mortgage question but I'm not sure.

So needless to say you should definitely cover mortgages. Also, more generally, a new examiner for Property entered the fray and the first paper she set was Autumn 2013. I'm not saying the exams and reports before this are totally useless but the questions in vogue now tend to be more straightforward and, importantly, the examiner doesn't seem too bothered with the first 1/3 of the course - the various categories of estates, the influence of equity, unregistered and registered land. She focuses on much more practical, relevant topics like AP, mortgages, succession. The only thing from the first 1/3 of the course that was examined in the first two papers was the law in relation to finding lost property on land. The one caveat I have to what I just said is that I haven't seen the April 2014 paper but, from the first two papers, there seems to be a discernible preference towards the more relevant, practical topics I mentioned.

I don't have copies but the Autumn 2013 and March 2014 exams both had mortgage questions. Both questions were very similar and involved a general discussion on the remedies available to a mortgagee under the pre-2009 law in the event of the mortgagor failing to pay the mortgage instalments. You need to be clear about the distinctions between the different remedies but otherwise this is an incredibly straightforward question. I think the Autumn paper may have had a second mortgage question but I'm not sure.

So needless to say you should definitely cover mortgages. Also, more generally, a new examiner for Property entered the fray and the first paper she set was Autumn 2013. I'm not saying the exams and reports before this are totally useless but the questions in vogue now tend to be more straightforward and, importantly, the examiner doesn't seem too bothered with the first 1/3 of the course - the various categories of estates, the influence of equity, unregistered and registered land. She focuses on much more practical, relevant topics like AP, mortgages, succession. The only thing from the first 1/3 of the course that was examined in the first two papers was the law in relation to finding lost property on land. The one caveat I have to what I just said is that I haven't seen the April 2014 paper but, from the first two papers, there seems to be a discernible preference towards the more relevant, practical topics I mentioned.

Thanks a mil for the reply! Must really get my hands on the 2013/2014 stuff so as I'm working off a 2012/2013 manual!

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Go to Eoin Carolan's annual public lecture in UCD or get the handout on his list of the ten most important recent cases..get the list for the past few years if you can.

Dropping back in here after a longish absence, in a traineeship, heading for BHP this autumn.

JC

Thanks! Cant seem to find either online.

• Advertisement

Does anybody have an email address Eddie Matthews the Griffith College lecturer please??

Thanks! Cant seem to find either online.

i dont think eoin carolan did a top 10 cases lecture this year so the most recent one is for 2012 i think!

Milkypops, just saw that the March 2014 examiner report has gone on sale on the law soc's website!

i dont think eoin carolan did a top 10 cases lecture this year so the most recent one is for 2012 i think!

Yeah i checked westlaw as well. Nothing

saor19 wrote: »
    Milkypops, just saw that the March 2014 examiner report has gone on sale on the law soc's website!

hmm the april 2014 one will be out soon so im guessing. I only watch it for sheer curiosity as i passed EU and Constitutional in the last sitting but im still convinced i answers questions with the wrong topics hahha

hmm the april 2014 one will be out soon so im guessing. I only watch it for sheer curiosity as i passed EU and Constitutional in the last sitting but im still convinced i answers questions with the wrong topics hahha

Haha I tend not to question these things!!

saor19 wrote: »
    Haha I tend not to question these things!!

ha well its not like im gonna ring the law society up and be like ye def marked me wrong :P

Yeah just about to say Aprils not up

dashdoll wrote: »
    Thanks a mil for the reply! Must really get my hands on the 2013/2014 stuff so as I'm working off a 2012/2013 manual!

Manuals don't change. Exam hasn't changed that much either land is one of th one where same topics recur just asking slighty different format of Q.I did mortgages as an extra topic and I didn't need it in the end. If you use a grid - it's fairly easy to pick out the topics u cannot leave out

• Advertisement

Sitting Company in Sept and just starting to sort notes out and stuff now.

The Company's Act is so expensive, is there any cheaper way of getting it cos I guess its pretty essential? Looking at 80e minimum.

Bloody broke from these exams!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement