Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

dashdoll wrote: »
    Only finishing making notes today...FML.

5 subjects...so overwhelmed! :(

This whole process is overwhelming..and the sad thing is it's of no practical use in the end! But my advice is start with a subject u are interested in and can understand quickly..that'll give u a confidence boost to drive on with the rest !! Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Hi guys can anyone tell me oct 2013 - Q5 , is it about rylands v fletcher or both RF and private nusiance? I am alittle confused..

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

LawCQ91 wrote: »
    Hi guys can anyone tell me oct 2013 - Q5 , is it about rylands v fletcher or both RF and private nusiance? I am alittle confused..

It's r v f given the single escape. Also initially was confused but I'm sure if u had time in there and also outlined nuisance and explained why he may not succeed with it as wasn't ongoing would have to be ok.?

Didi2013 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Advise needed for Company, heard hes a hard marker, compare to the others! Right I was thinking of skipping Examinership
    Receivership, Capital Maintenance Rules and the types of Winding Up!? Risky or not!?

I'm leaving meetings, inspection and recev. But hoping I should be covered with that

Legal125 wrote: »
    It's r v f given the single escape. Also initially was confused but I'm sure if u had time in there and also outlined nuisance and explained why he may not succeed with it as wasn't ongoing would have to be ok.?

Hi thank you for the reply, under my notes for private nuisance it says private nusiance must consitute a continuing wrong etc then it went on to say ..however this does not mean that that tort cannot be committed where the damages resulted in a single act, but rather the court consider whether the def through his own conduct caused the resultant injury to the plaintiff ... That's why I am confused ! I think you are right about RF and maybe mention could argue to be a nusiance but likely to fail? :/ what you think ? So really they mean you can have a nuisance for a single act ? Am I over thinking ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Didi2013 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Advise needed for Company, heard hes a hard marker, compare to the others! Right I was thinking of skipping Examinership
    Receivership, Capital Maintenance Rules and the types of Winding Up!? Risky or not!?

In my mind, I put receivership, examinership, meetings and the general question on shares together. They all come up with some degree of frequency but are not top topics i.e they come up once every few papers. Receivership, shares and meetings all came up on the last paper so I think it's unlikely we will see those topics again.

Examinership, although asked infrequently could pop up. Capital maintenance is rarely asked but surely if it will ever be asked as a full question it will be this year after the Anglo/s.60 case.

Liquidation is a top topic and could always be on.....but if you have enough topics done elsewhere that won't matter!!

Have you SLP, corporate authority + capacity, directors, restriction of directors, share transfer, shareholder protection, corporate borrowing and distribution of assets on WU done??

Hi all,
    I've been working on an older manual for contract 2009/10. Starting to worry now if this is enough to pass or would I need more up to date material? Does anyone know if there has been any major change in contract that I would need to look up? Thanks in advance :)

Hi thank you for the reply, under my notes for private nuisance it says private nusiance must consitute a continuing wrong etc then it went on to say ..however this does not mean that that tort cannot be committed where the damages resulted in a single act, but rather the court consider whether the def through his own conduct caused the resultant injury to the plaintiff ... That's why I am confused ! I think you are right about RF and maybe mention could argue to be a nusiance but likely to fail? :/ what you think ? So really they mean you can have a nuisance for a single act ? Am I over thinking ?

You are overthinking but I also do that. And I'm no expert. From what I gather traditionally nuisance had to be continuing but yes the courts have blurred it and in some cases allowed it where only single. From what I can gather

Hi all,
    I've been working on an older manual for contract 2009/10. Starting to worry now if this is enough to pass or would I need more up to date material? Does anyone know if there has been any major change in contract that I would need to look up? Thanks in advance :)

Consumer protection - new regulation consumer info reg enacted here in June 2014

Undue influence - Roche case etc

I think they are main ones don't think there is anything else. Buy a second hand manual for cheap if u can saves panicking or look at the city colleges night before notes that are up on there page. Then u can cross reference off those.

http://www.citycolleges.ie/wp/news_general/fe1-night-before-notes-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Hi so you reckon covering topics above should be enough in company, thanks

• Advertisement

Mileyt wrote: »
    Hi so you reckon covering topics above should be enough in company, thanks

Hi, I'm not 100% clear on the exact topics you're referring to.....can you let me know the topics you have done/are planning to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Sorry liquidation, slp, corporate authority, directors/rest/qual, shares, corporate borrowing and dist of assets :)

Any suggestions on what to leave out of contract..it's so broad!! :(

You are overthinking but I also do that. And I'm no expert. From what I gather traditionally nuisance had to be continuing but yes the courts have blurred it and in some cases allowed it where only single. From what I can gather

Thanks ! I will be thinking of our discussion during the exams, it better come up now ha !!

Any suggestions on what to leave out of contract..it's so broad!! :(

hi, I am leaving out

privity, Intention to create legal relations, formality, void &Illegal , remedies (not damages but all the equity ones) completely
    reading reading over parties to contract/estoppel (just know what it is)

realistically speaking, there is no way to cover everything! I counted up the cases for offer & Acceptance.. that it's nearly 200 cases alone! better off just do a few important topics and do it well :(

what about you?

Mileyt wrote: »
    Sorry liquidation, slp, corporate authority, directors/rest/qual, shares, corporate borrowing and dist of assets :)

I reckon if you go in knowing the following you will be covered 99% of the time:

1) SLP
    2) Corporate authority + capacity
    3) Directors (common law + statutory controls)
    4) Restriction of directors
    5) Share transfer
    6) Shareholder protection (including s.25 + shareholder agreements, he tends to ask that question a lot e.g Mar 14 Q.6 and Mar 13 Q.7)
    7) Corporate Borrowing (including ROT clauses)
    8) Liquidation
    9) Disposition of assets

Thanks ! I will be thinking of our discussion during the exams, it better come up now ha !!

Me too scared ****less of the uncertainty of the exam Qs in tort. I'm covering everything. I better get 5 Qs I can decipher the topic on and answer

Me too scared ****less of the uncertainty of the exam Qs in tort. I'm covering everything. I better get 5 Qs I can decipher the topic on and answer

you are covering everything?:O fair play!! I wish I could :( just don't think my head would retain that much information!

I am leaving out professional negligence, employer's liability , defamation (prob a stupid idea - but it's huge!!)and damages . I am taking calculated risks, what's the worst that can happen, all 4 came up, so i can still answer 4 questions .. well hopefully! Have not started learning things off yet.. just finishing up my notes at the mo

you are covering everything?:O fair play!! I wish I could :( just don't think my head would retain that much information!

I am leaving out professional negligence, employer's liability , defamation (prob a stupid idea - but it's huge!!)and damages . I am taking calculated risks, what's the worst that can happen, all 4 came up, so i can still answer 4 questions .. well hopefully! Have not started learning things off yet.. just finishing up my notes at the mo

Well it leads to near mental breakdown. Yeah some calculated risks are necessary for sure. Sounds pretty good option ur approach.
    with my first four I covered nearly everything. think these exams u have to do whatever works personally. That's half of it. I'm sure well both be fine. I so hope so!

hi, I am leaving out

privity, Intention to create legal relations, formality, void &Illegal , remedies (not damages but all the equity ones) completely
    reading reading over parties to contract/estoppel (just know what it is)

realistically speaking, there is no way to cover everything! I counted up the cases for offer & Acceptance.. that it's nearly 200 cases alone! better off just do a few important topics and do it well :(

what about you?

Was thinking sale of goods stuff and agency aswell..I've a vague idea of most of the other topics but when it comes to the few days before the exams I know I'll be cutting it down again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

Was thinking sale of goods stuff and agency aswell..I've a vague idea of most of the other topics but when it comes to the few days before the exams I know I'll be cutting it down again :(

Also cutting sale of goods, agency illegality. I think youd be covered without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 HeyTherePlease

vickyplumx wrote: »
    Also cutting sale of goods, agency illegality. I think youd be covered without them.

hey guys,

I wouldn't cut out Sale of Goods, as the examiner was a lecturer in Commercial Law. I would definitely do it WITH PARTICULAR REFERENCE to European Union Directive, it has been asked before as a question, and as was transposed into Irish law in June I wouldn't shoot myself in the foot by leaving it out. It's basically to do with distance selling.

hey guys,

I wouldn't cut out Sale of Goods, as the examiner was a lecturer in Commercial Law. I would definitely do it WITH PARTICULAR REFERENCE to European Union Directive, it has been asked before as a question, and as was transposed into Irish law in June I wouldn't shoot myself in the foot by leaving it out. It's basically to do with distance selling.

Is that the directive that repealed the distance selling and off premises directives? And something about CESL..am I right in saying that's optional for the parties to adopt and not necessarily a regulation that has effect across the board?? Very confused :(

Does anyone know if defamation is usually it's own topic or would it be mixed in with other topics? I am leaving it out .. Not sure if I should look over it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saor19

Does anyone know if defamation is usually it's own topic or would it be mixed in with other topics? I am leaving it out .. Not sure if I should look over it ..

As far as I know its usually on its own and its usually an aspect of defamation law, the question doesn't cover the entire area. Its a big topic to learn but is generally self contained so you should be fine!

saor19 wrote: »
    As far as I know its usually on its own and its usually an aspect of defamation law, the question doesn't cover the entire area. Its a big topic to learn but is generally self contained so you should be fine!

Perfect :) thank you for the quick response ! That means i am leaving it out then and I am finally finish with notes making ! Pheww

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MJW5

Any suggestions on top topics for constitutional?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 HeyTherePlease

MJW5 wrote: »
    Any suggestions on top topics for constitutional?

Hey, for Constitutional I'm doing;

The Oireachtas,
    The Courts,
    The Right to Fair Trial,
    The Family
    Eduacation,
    Equality,
    Sepatation of Powers (Delegated Leg, Socio-Economic Rights, Quasi-Judicial Bodies)
    The President,
    All of the Unemnumerated Rights (About 5/6)
    Right to Life
    Property
    Good Name
    Religion
    The Doctrine of Proportionality
    Constitutional Interpretation

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Anything that can be left out of criminal?

Cannot remember case names!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

How are we feeling about academic commentary? is it crucial?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement