Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

vickyplumx wrote: »
    How are we feeling about academic commentary? is it crucial?

Wouldnt say its an absolute prerequisite - but it would help obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

vickyplumx wrote: »
    How are we feeling about academic commentary? is it crucial?

To get a passing grade, 100% not crucial. To excel, 100% crucial......just like any other law exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bertie1986

Hi guys,

Does anyone who has been to Independent/City Colleges, etc. (or indeed anybody else) know what Injunction(s) are tipped?

Huge area - trying desperately to cut it down...

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

Bertie1986 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Does anyone who has been to Independent/City Colleges, etc. (or indeed anybody else) know what Injunction(s) are tipped?

Huge area - trying desperately to cut it down...

Thanks!

the trick is with injs - She asks The Qs in a similar format for each type of inj. I learned the topics to the way she asked the questions, ie quia timet is usually a prob, the mand int one came up last time came up before, and she spells out in the older reports what's she's looking for in the answer.
    But sometimes albeit rare injunctions can be two Qs so u never know with her.

Generally with equity she repeats Qs so it's the one paper where past papers are very indicative of the style of Q.

Thanks a mil Legal125.

I approached my notes/answers in the same way, e.g. QT usually a problem, Mandatory Injunctions usually an essay/note, Mareva an essay/problem, Anton Piller usually an essay on the draconian nature, etc.

My question was more whether the lecturers have tipped any particular one as a potential runner in this sitting?

I have all the notes, academic commentary, etc. but am struggling time wise to learn everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

City haven't tipped anything in particular.Said that a qs on APO is due as it hasnt appeared in years but that doesnt make it any more likely to appear for us I guess! 😟 I'll pretty much have to learn it in the few days off in between exams Id say!
    Bertie1986 wrote: »
    Thanks a mil Legal125.

I approached my notes/answers in the same way, e.g. QT usually a problem, Mandatory Injunctions usually an essay/note, Mareva an essay/problem, Anton Piller usually an essay on the draconian nature, etc.

My question was more whether the lecturers have tipped any particular one as a potential runner in this sitting?

I have all the notes, academic commentary, etc. but am struggling time wise to learn everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Just wondering if anyone has any advice re property.

Did the examiner change as the paper seems to have gotten trickier and less predictable since 2013...only 1.5 qs on Succession in the last few sittings.

Looking like I'll have to try cover another topic.

Already doing Succession, AP, Easements, Family Home, Finding.

Which is easier out of Co-ownership and Mortgages bearing in mind that Iv never covered either.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 71fe1

Probably coownership, but I'd do both if you have the time..

dashdoll wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice re property.

Did the examiner change as the paper seems to have gotten trickier and less predictable since 2013...only 1.5 qs on Succession in the last few sittings.

Looking like I'll have to try cover another topic.

Already doing Succession, AP, Easements, Family Home, Finding.

Which is easier out of Co-ownership and Mortgages bearing in mind that Iv never covered either.

Thanks.
    Yes the examiner changed.
    before paper predictable completely.
    Still very very doable paper though. Mortgages is topical. Coownership is fine. Just learn the rules. Both are ok to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TMJK

Does anyone have a copy of Contract April 2014 paper, or could even list the topics that came up?? Stressing! Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 HeyTherePlease

Dylan Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

Hi All

Can anyone tell me what Q2 on the March 2014 Tort paper relates to? It seems to be occupiers liability, but then Q5 is a full question on occupiers liability so Im not sure what Q2 is!

Any help, much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saor19

MissM89 wrote: »
    Hi All

Can anyone tell me what Q2 on the March 2014 Tort paper relates to? It seems to be occupiers liability, but then Q5 is a full question on occupiers liability so Im not sure what Q2 is!

Any help, much appreciated!!

The examiner's report says it was a a general negligence problem question.

saor19 wrote: »
    The examiner's report says it was a a general negligence problem question.

Also the Q says advise of the 'cause' of tort.
    Previously his exam report for a diff sitting stated on a problem q with the same final line that this meant he wanted an answer on causation.
    This time the same line at end he said it meant he wanted gen neg principles I'm assuming this was with a focus on causation
    He contradicted himself which annoys me. As he also gave out that people previously used gen principles when it stated cause yet this time gen principles was ok for him. Given it's the intern examiner that writes report he may have got it wrong.
    Mindless rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

Not mindless at all, the reports are shocking and provide about one line on each question, which basically says to figure it out yourself!! He contradicts himself a lot, in some questions saying that certain elements, which seem irrelevant, should be included then in others saying that irrelevant aspects of the tort should be left out! Its impossible to know what he is looking for!!

I can see why you could apply causation to this particular problem - but occupiers liability must also come into it given that it was on his property no?

Also Saor19 thank you! Can either of you explain what exactly is meant by general negligence principles, and whether this is separate to a question based on the duty/standard of care?

As you can tell, I am not enjoying tort...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saor19

No probs, half the battle with this exam is identifying what the questions are about!

I agree with Legal125 , I think you would have to go through all the elements of general neg but spend most time and focus on causation.

MissM89 wrote: »
    Not mindless at all, the reports are shocking and provide about one line on each question, which basically says to figure it out yourself!! He contradicts himself a lot, in some questions saying that certain elements, which seem irrelevant, should be included then in others saying that irrelevant aspects of the tort should be left out! Its impossible to know what he is looking for!!

I can see why you could apply causation to this particular problem - but occupiers liability must also come into it given that it was on his property no?

Also Saor19 thank you! Can either of you explain what exactly is meant by general negligence principles, and whether this is separate to a question based on the duty/standard of care?

As you can tell, I am not enjoying tort...

U could mention occupiers prob yeah but to be honest I would focus on last line of his Q as that usually is indicative of what he wants. Albeit that changes from report to report.
    Gen neg principles is like you go through neg. duty of care, standard, causation and damages.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

I'm still at the writing notes with a week to go. For company if I cover;

Separate legal personality
    Corporate authority
    Directors duties
    Restriction
    Minority protection
    Corporate borrowings
    Liquidation
    Realisation of assets
    And maybe share transfer

Am I covered have notes done on three only so far

• Registered Users Posts: 11 HeyTherePlease

i pity you.

Midlecat wrote: »
    I'm still at the writing notes with a week to go. For company if I cover;

Separate legal personality
    Corporate authority
    Directors duties
    Restriction
    Minority protection
    Corporate borrowings
    Liquidation
    Realisation of assets
    And maybe share transfer

Am I covered have notes done on three only so far

I'd say do all of those including share transfer and you should be covered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Can someone please tell me what they are focussing on under resulting trusts?It's pretty big and I don't think covering everything in that chapter is necessary.

I'm focusing mostly on joint accounts and proving the presumption of advancement, plus a note on Quistclose Trusts. It comes up in so many different ways though, so I may learn bullet points on cohabitees, etc.

Overwhelmed to say the least! Still reading notes but not learning off the case names in any subject yet - is anyone else leaving that until the day(s) before the exam?? It' my first sitting so I'm a little in the dark...

What topics are people doing/leaving out of Equity as a whole?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

What is everyone focusing on for contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

May be a silly question but does anyone know what their policy would be on using lended copies (from a library) of the companies acts, so long as they are unanottated etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 livelovelaugh

LawCQ91 wrote: »
    What is everyone focusing on for contract?

I would love some guidance on this too, please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dietcokeg

Hi Guys,

can anyone help me out with this question - I live quite far from Dublin and want to know is it possible to bring Courtney's book to be checked on the day of the exam at an early hour or does it have to be the day before the exam?

It would take a few hours to go to Dublin and back and doesn't seem practical at all - can anyone help?

thanks a mill

dietcokeg wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

can anyone help me out with this question - I live quite far from Dublin and want to know is it possible to bring Courtney's book to be checked on the day of the exam at an early hour or does it have to be the day before the exam?

It would take a few hours to go to Dublin and back and doesn't seem practical at all - can anyone help?

thanks a mill

When you say Courtney's book, I assume you mean the Companies Act?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dietcokeg

Yes, the Companies Acts. sorry i should have elaborated there.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Hi Guys,

thanks a mill

As far as I know if you hand it on the day, you get it late like after half way through the exams ( just ring the law society and check though,I am not 100% sure) . Also you don't need to go in yourself, if any of your friend is going up for tort anyway, get them to bring it in.. Or get a family member to drop in if possible ..

• Advertisement

Yes, the Companies Acts. sorry i should have elaborated there.

You might not get it until a bit the way through the exam. They try get it to you but they have to go through it to make sure no writing on it. And if lots of people only bring it on the morning. May add to the wait. I think they are fairly good at getting it to people though.
    Just going on what I've read here though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement