Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

saor19 wrote: »
    You have time! Set manageable targets and be really strict with yourself. Even if you can't get into study now, when the exams start, the adrenaline should kick in. You've a nice gap between exams, use it!

You've done 8 chapters in EU, thats good progress imo and if it was me I'd never go in and not attempt the paper. The EU examiner is rooting for you to pass. Even if you want to focus on the other three, do try and answer your 5 questions. It will help with exam technique and timing for the others anyway even if you struggle with content.

Property is a shorter course and you are nearly guaranteed two questions on succession so start there. Don't cover everything, questions are generally self contained.

Look at past exam papers and reports and if you can't sit and learn then do questions. You'll be surprised at how much you retain.
    Best of luck.

omg when you put it like that thanks a mill . I will try my best ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

Anyone have a simple explanation of re duckwari case in company law re s29 companies acts. I've read the case (confised me massively) and I know it applied to the uk equivalent of 29 but anyone any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 livelovelaugh

King Ian wrote: »
    Separately, on Property: where do people stand on Landlord & Tenant, and Licences (bare, contractual, estoppel) & rights of residence ?

Any of it omit-able?

I'm not doing property this time around but I do know that the examiner lectures in landlord and tenant law so I would imagine it may be likely to appear. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I'm not doing property this time around but I do know that the examiner lectures in landlord and tenant law so I would imagine it may be likely to appear. Good luck!

Not covering this...huge area. Hopefully other shorter topics I can cover to avoid this.

dashdoll wrote: »
    Not covering this...huge area. Hopefully other shorter topics I can cover to avoid this.

Yeah I did it last sitting and did outline sketch only, u should be fine. I covered family prop, easements, mortgages coownership, finding, equity's darling, licences and prop est, succession and AP and I was totally covered.
    Just make sure for coownership and easements if u do it that u have case law. The manuals don't have much by way of cases in them. I supplemented just 3/4 cases. she outlines them in one of her recent reports and she has criticised people for not using case law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 charliebabbitt

Shan89 wrote: »
    Hi,
    For company law if you don't have McCann and Courtney's book of acts I see you can bring in just the Companies Acts.. Where do you get these and how much are they to buy?

Thanks

You order them over the phone from Government Publications Office and they arrive by post. This is a price list I received by email;

I/175 - Sale of Goods Act, 1893 - €2.73
    ACT/80/16 - Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980 - €5.08
    ACT/63/33 - Companies Act, 1963 - €19.05
    ACT/90/3B - Companies Act, 1990 (Bilingual Version) - €41.65
    ACT/09/20 - Companies (Amendment) Act, 2009 - €2.54
    ACT/09/45 - COMPANIES (MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS) ACT, 2009 - €3.05
    ACT/12/22 - COMPANIES (AMENDMENT) ACT, 2012 - €0.76

Payments for publications can be made: over the phone (01 647 6834)
    using Visa, Visa Debit, Laser or Mastercard or; by cheque or postal
    order, payable to Government Publications, 52 St.Stephen's Green, Dublin 2.

Items will be delivered by post when payment is received. Postage is
    free of charge.

You order them over the phone from Government Publications Office and they arrive by post. This is a price list I received by email;

I/175 - Sale of Goods Act, 1893 - €2.73
    ACT/80/16 - Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980 - €5.08
    ACT/63/33 - Companies Act, 1963 - €19.05
    ACT/90/3B - Companies Act, 1990 (Bilingual Version) - €41.65
    ACT/09/20 - Companies (Amendment) Act, 2009 - €2.54
    ACT/09/45 - COMPANIES (MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS) ACT, 2009 - €3.05
    ACT/12/22 - COMPANIES (AMENDMENT) ACT, 2012 - €0.76

Payments for publications can be made: over the phone (01 647 6834)
    using Visa, Visa Debit, Laser or Mastercard or; by cheque or postal
    order, payable to Government Publications, 52 St.Stephen's Green, Dublin 2.

Items will be delivered by post when payment is received. Postage is
    free of charge.

U can buy the book for 80 nearly works out the same and less hassle.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea on how much tabbing/highlighting is ok for the exam? Not sure where to start!

I've had the Companies Act book on my bookshelf for the past month so I guess I better get familiar with it before next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saor19

dashdoll wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any idea on how much tabbing/highlighting is ok for the exam? Not sure where to start!

I've had the Companies Act book on my bookshelf for the past month so I guess I better get familiar with it before next week!

You can tab and highlight as much as you want! You can use different colours etc just no writing at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 charliebabbitt

Legal125 wrote: »
    U can buy the book for 80 nearly works out the same and less hassle.

The bilingual version is not needed so it works out at about €26 instead of €80

• Advertisement

The bilingual version is not needed so it works out at about €26 instead of €80

My bad! Whatever works!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 71fe1

Getting worried about criminal... Anyone know what the examiner is like? Easy to pass??

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

71fe1 wrote: »
    Getting worried about criminal... Anyone know what the examiner is like? Easy to pass??

He's a very fair marker from my experience. The key with criminal is know a little about as much as u can because you will get marks for even picking out the various points in a question and if u can write a line or two and have a case for each point u make then u should pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Dear god, the fear would want to kick in soon.

Dear god, the fear would want to kick in soon.

Opposite. This happened me last four as well. Can't eat, start crying if anyone talks to me. And imagine the worst case scenario outcome. Aaaaaaaahhhhhj

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Actually been staring at my notes on misrepresentation ( a pretty short topic for contract ) for four hours now and nothing has gone in ... I actually feel my brain has gone dumb or something! Nothing seem to be going in ....and I don't have time to waste, still have so much to learn ... :( stressed :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bertie1986

LawCQ91 wrote: »
    Actually been staring at my notes on misrepresentation ( a pretty short topic for contract ) for four hours now and nothing has gone in ... I actually feel my brain has gone dumb or something! Nothing seem to be going in ....and I don't have time to waste, still have so much to learn ... :( stressed :(:(

Keep the chin up!

I know the feeling! I've been doing contract all day but feels like a waste of time.

I'm hoping people are right in saying that the adrenalin the day(s) before makes learning off easier???

I have a decent understanding of topics but know NONE of the case names yet.

Is it normal to cram case names the night before??

This is my first set so am curious as to what other people think...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I have basically nothing. This is gonna be a super fun week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Anyone have a simple explanation of re duckwari case in company law re s29 companies acts. I've read the case (confised me massively) and I know it applied to the uk equivalent of 29 but anyone any help?

It basically looks at what constitutes a non cash asset for the purposes of s.29.....the transfer of land is the classic example but this case concerned a transfer of contractual rights to land.

Defendant company is controlled by director of plaintiff company. Defendant enters into a contract to buy land with a 3rd party. Upon completion, defendant assigns its rights under the contract to the plaintiff.

Question for court, did the assignment of a contractual right to land constitute the transfer of a non cash asset? Yes it did, notwithstanding the fact that no asset had actually been transferred, just the rights to it.

Worth remembering (as you pointed out) this was a UK case dealing with the English equivalent but it would be highly persuasive authority (certainly in the wonderful land of the FE1 exams anyway) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Hi all,

Just giving my two cents on these exams after having passed all 8 last sitting, and I know some people find it best, but, I hate seeing people spend hours upon hours making notes when the material is already there.

Took me 3 sittings to get them all. Tort and Company were my achilles heel.

Anyway, I would advise for every subject that you cover 90% of the syllabus. Sure, you could just learn off 8 of the most common topics from the grids and go in and get lucky on the day and they all come up. But this will rarely happen. I found out the hard way, so just cover 90% of the syllabus.

Next, I posted this before. I never see a point in anyone going off and making pages upon pages of notes on a topic. Wayy too time consuming. The manuals or nutshells are condensed enough if you ask me. What I used to do was:

-Have my manual there. (tbh I had a good friend who emailed me very detailed notes for each subject, so I mostly use these, but they were very similar to the manuals just a little bit more condensed).
    -Book (if needed as an anchor to refer to in order to clarify something).
    -Nutshell (for some subjects i.e. company and tort as they were my achillies heel and I repeated them).
    - Grids, examiners reports, and as much sample answers I could get my hands on.
    - Night before notes off the City Colleges website (fantastic revision tool).

Anyway, I would familarise myself with the grids. See what could definitively be left out e.g. there is always an odd topic that never comes up, or maybe a topic that comes up once every 10 sittings. Then I would have a look at some examiner reports and questions, see what type of exam it is e.g. are the questions mixed as in do they include 3-4 topics (like Criminal and Contract, whereas Property most questions will be on one topic only), what does the examiner like etc.

Then I would get cracking. I would go through a topic in the manual by reading it once or twice and when I was finished doing this I would scan back through it and take note of important case names and some principles, never going over 2-3 pages with this (basically a quick summary). Then, I would use the grid to root out sample answers for the topic, so maybe have the last 4 or 5 sittings sample answers, I would read through these and highlight the main cases at the end. By doing this you will see how an answer is structured and see that similar kind of questions come up for the topic and what cases are most frequently used, and finally it allows you to spot the issues/topics in the problem straight away. This should only take 2-3 hours to do if you're tackling a topic, as it's mostly reading with some light note taking. Note taking is very time consuming and you're not taking the material fully in.

Closer to the exam (try have 2-3 weeks before the exams to just do pure revision) I would just briefly scan through topics and try drum case names into my head. The way I looked at it was that I've read over this topic numerous times in different fashions - the manual/nutshell, sample answers, examiner reports. And I said to myself that I know what it's about, it's structure, and now I just need to get remembering case names. So in the final couple of weeks I would just be drumming case names into my head. You should always know a topic in the sense that you could describe it to your mum or friend in a few mins over lunch. When I was drumming case names into my head I would jot their names down also, maybe by putting a heading and jot down three cases. The NBN's come in handy here as they have all the main cases under headings with quick points set down for you.

My main point is to not get bogged down in note taking. The manuals etc. are condensed enough. Once you've read a topic don't be afraid to jot down a quick summary, but try not to go over a couple of pages or spend more than 10 mins doing this.

It used to take me about 1 hour to go through a chapter in the manual or my detailed notes (at a slow pace for understanding, sometimes it took less, and this included my quick 2 page summary at the end), then about 10 mins per sample answer. So most of the time if I just used those materials I would be 2 hours at a topic. So a short subject like Property you could cover in a few days. This would mean you would get back to it quicker and if you started three months before the exams and you were doing 4 exams you could easily have gone over each topic 3/4 times (meaning when you go over a topic, you then go over sample answers, so you could be reading the same cases/points a few times in the one sitting of study). Leaving 2 weeks for quick revision then before the exams.

Here is a quick reply on studying the different subjects I posted a while back if you're interested: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89819004&postcount=1879

• Advertisement

Bertie1986 wrote: »
    Keep the chin up!

I know the feeling! I've been doing contract all day but feels like a waste of time.

I'm hoping people are right in saying that the adrenalin the day(s) before makes learning off easier???

I have a decent understanding of topics but know NONE of the case names yet.

Is it normal to cram case names the night before??

This is my first set so am curious as to what other people think...

I'm in the same boat, pretty much just reading material. Won't be able to remember case names if I learn them now (which I don't seem to be able to do anyway!)

There is gonna be serious cramming done on the days between exams by me anyway!

Can anyone clarify this for me please.

If agreement is under mutual mistake, if an objective bystander can conclude thatthere is an actual offer & acceptance, then the contract is enforceable( does it mean it's voidable?? As in the other party can choose to recind the agreement if they want? Or does it mean it's legally enforceable and they can sue for damages?)

I think I am getting alittle confused between void and voidable in relation to mistake.

Can anyone tell me what happens if a contract is void and what happens if a contract is voidable ?

Thank you

Can anyone clarify this for me please.

If agreement is under mutual mistake, if an objective bystander can conclude thatthere is an actual offer & acceptance, then the contract is enforceable( does it mean it's voidable?? As in the other party can choose to recind the agreement if they want? Or does it mean it's legally enforceable and they can sue for damages?)

I think I am getting alittle confused between void and voidable in relation to mistake.

Can anyone tell me what happens if a contract is void and what happens if a contract is voidable ?

Thank you

If objective bystander would say. Contract is on x terms, it is on y terms or no contract at all. Imagine u were given facts and u draw conclusion.
    Eg case of the pub where the guy was never told of the 500 extra read for sale clearly the objective bystander would. conclude it was reas that the contract on those terms ie the buyers and not the vendors or
    In some cases if they are at cross purposes it's clear no contract was agreed on either terms

Void an voidable into play under unilateral mistake
    Void no contract and therefore the property Returns to the original person ie bona fide purchaser gets stung
    Voidable then bfp can keep as can elect to keep or rescind contract.
    If that makes sense.

If objective bystander would say. Contract is on x terms, it is on y terms or no contract at all. Imagine u were given facts and u draw conclusion.
    Eg case of the pub where the guy was never told of the 500 extra read for sale clearly the objective bystander would. conclude it was reas that the contract on those terms ie the buyers and not the vendors or
    In some cases if they are at cross purposes it's clear no contract was agreed on either terms

Void an voidable into play under unilateral mistake
    Void no contract and therefore the property Returns to the original person ie bona fide purchaser gets stung
    Voidable then bfp can keep as can elect to keep or rescind contract.
    If that makes sense.

Thanks for the quick reply ,so in the case of mutual mistake,

Objective bystander decided:

no contract was formed = void , then what happens? ( apart from return whatever was paid) what other remedies are available?

if a contract was concluded and deemed to be enforceable.. It means it's voidable. So one party can still repudiate the contract which makes a void .. But how/ when would equity come into play? what are the remedies?

I can't actually get my head around this at all :( it just does not seem to make logical sense at all ..

Thanks for the quick reply ,so in the case of mutual mistake,

Objective bystander decided:

no contract was formed = void , then what happens? ( apart from return whatever was paid) what other remedies are available?

if a contract was concluded and deemed to be enforceable.. It means it's voidable. So one party can still repudiate the contract which makes a void .. But how/ when would equity come into play? what are the remedies?

I can't actually get my head around this at all :( it just does not seem to make logical sense at all ..

U are confusing different areas.
    If object bystander would say the contract was not formed on either terms. There is no contract. Essentially the court will say no contract. So if u have no contract there are no remedies.

If he says ie the obj bystander ie the court it was concluded on x terms or on y terms then they will enforce it in that manner.

U are confusing different areas.
    If object bystander would say the contract was not formed on either terms. There is no contract. Essentially the court will say no contract. So if u have no contract there are no remedies.

If he says ie the obj bystander ie the court it was concluded on x terms or on y terms then they will enforce it in that manner.

Yesss! Ahhhh !!! Now I get you !! Thank you so so much !!! I was so wound up haha! so annoyed ! I couldn't even figure out what i didnt understand ..

Yesss! Ahhhh !!! Now I get you !! Thank you so so much !!! I was so wound up haha! so annoyed ! I couldn't even figure out what i didnt understand ..

No worries. Fe1brain kicks in

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marie92

Anyone have any advice on which areas of the criminal course I could leave out? I've done very little for it and I'm nearly thinking about leaving it at this stage and concentrating on my other 3. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

Yeah the questions are all over the place! It's hard to even pick out the points he wants u to make! I find that in some questions u could raise about 5 arts from the const!

So whats the best option? Attempt lots of past exam papers or learn as much principles, cases, judgements as possible??

• Advertisement

dandadub wrote: »
    So whats the best option? Attempt lots of past exam papers or learn as much principles, cases, judgements as possible??

Learn. And also constitutional is more about his Qs have red herrings. So u really need to think what his he actually asking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement