Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

chops018 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just giving my two cents on these exams after having passed all 8 last sitting, and I know some people find it best, but, I hate seeing people spend hours upon hours making notes when the material is already there.

Took me 3 sittings to get them all. Tort and Company were my achilles heel.

Anyway, I would advise for every subject that you cover 90% of the syllabus. Sure, you could just learn off 8 of the most common topics from the grids and go in and get lucky on the day and they all come up. But this will rarely happen. I found out the hard way, so just cover 90% of the syllabus.

Next, I posted this before. I never see a point in anyone going off and making pages upon pages of notes on a topic. Wayy too time consuming. The manuals or nutshells are condensed enough if you ask me. What I used to do was:

-Have my manual there. (tbh I had a good friend who emailed me very detailed notes for each subject, so I mostly use these, but they were very similar to the manuals just a little bit more condensed).
    -Book (if needed as an anchor to refer to in order to clarify something).
    -Nutshell (for some subjects i.e. company and tort as they were my achillies heel and I repeated them).
    - Grids, examiners reports, and as much sample answers I could get my hands on.
    - Night before notes off the City Colleges website (fantastic revision tool).

Anyway, I would familarise myself with the grids. See what could definitively be left out e.g. there is always an odd topic that never comes up, or maybe a topic that comes up once every 10 sittings. Then I would have a look at some examiner reports and questions, see what type of exam it is e.g. are the questions mixed as in do they include 3-4 topics (like Criminal and Contract, whereas Property most questions will be on one topic only), what does the examiner like etc.

Then I would get cracking. I would go through a topic in the manual by reading it once or twice and when I was finished doing this I would scan back through it and take note of important case names and some principles, never going over 2-3 pages with this (basically a quick summary). Then, I would use the grid to root out sample answers for the topic, so maybe have the last 4 or 5 sittings sample answers, I would read through these and highlight the main cases at the end. By doing this you will see how an answer is structured and see that similar kind of questions come up for the topic and what cases are most frequently used, and finally it allows you to spot the issues/topics in the problem straight away. This should only take 2-3 hours to do if you're tackling a topic, as it's mostly reading with some light note taking. Note taking is very time consuming and you're not taking the material fully in.

Closer to the exam (try have 2-3 weeks before the exams to just do pure revision) I would just briefly scan through topics and try drum case names into my head. The way I looked at it was that I've read over this topic numerous times in different fashions - the manual/nutshell, sample answers, examiner reports. And I said to myself that I know what it's about, it's structure, and now I just need to get remembering case names. So in the final couple of weeks I would just be drumming case names into my head. You should always know a topic in the sense that you could describe it to your mum or friend in a few mins over lunch. When I was drumming case names into my head I would jot their names down also, maybe by putting a heading and jot down three cases. The NBN's come in handy here as they have all the main cases under headings with quick points set down for you.

My main point is to not get bogged down in note taking. The manuals etc. are condensed enough. Once you've read a topic don't be afraid to jot down a quick summary, but try not to go over a couple of pages or spend more than 10 mins doing this.

It used to take me about 1 hour to go through a chapter in the manual or my detailed notes (at a slow pace for understanding, sometimes it took less, and this included my quick 2 page summary at the end), then about 10 mins per sample answer. So most of the time if I just used those materials I would be 2 hours at a topic. So a short subject like Property you could cover in a few days. This would mean you would get back to it quicker and if you started three months before the exams and you were doing 4 exams you could easily have gone over each topic 3/4 times (meaning when you go over a topic, you then go over sample answers, so you could be reading the same cases/points a few times in the one sitting of study). Leaving 2 weeks for quick revision then before the exams.

Here is a quick reply on studying the different subjects I posted a while back if you're interested: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89819004&postcount=1879

Thanks for this advice, I do find it interesting but just for anyone else like me writing and re-writing is the only way I learn things off! For me reading and highlighting does not help with retention of material, the only way I will remember case names etc is to break down each chapter into its main points with a list of cases under each point...then memorise that small amount of info!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bertie1986

Any idea when the City Colleges Night Before Notes will be on their website??

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

Bertie1986 wrote: »
    Any idea when the City Colleges Night Before Notes will be on their website??

The last set are still up from April. They don't change much really.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

dandadub wrote: »
    So whats the best option? Attempt lots of past exam papers or learn as much principles, cases, judgements as possible??

To be honest I think just learn as much as u can..maybe look at the exam questions but I can really see no pattern for any topic in the way it's asked. I'm gonna throw in any point I think is relevant to each question and hope it works. Sorry I can't be of anymore help but I'm at a complete loss myself with this exam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Anyone have any sample answers for property, contract, constitutional and equity or any of the above?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 charliebabbitt

In contract for any offer and acceptance (in the sale of a good) which is not in writing, is S.4 of the Sale of Goods Act 1983 applicable to void the contract? It is mentioned in some Griffith sample answers and not other

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Does anyone know wherr I could find / have a concise explanation of the facts in Saloman v Saloman. Im working off the City manual for Company and its laid out in such a confusing way...cannot decipher it! Im fine with the outcome..just not avle to describe the facts of thr case itself.

Thanks.

dashdoll wrote: »
    Does anyone know wherr I could find / have a concise explanation of the facts in Saloman v Saloman. Im working off the City manual for Company and its laid out in such a confusing way...cannot decipher it! Im fine with the outcome..just not avle to describe the facts of thr case itself.

Thanks.
    Nutshells and i googled it. Also had this confusion lol.
    What confuses it is that debenture was sold on and they say the liq viewed it as repayment of a debt to himself. Liq was incorrect as rules by HL. It isn't given slp. Anyway that debenture taking priority is what horrified the creditors but was nothing they could do as the company is sep legal person.
    That may confuse u even more. Jut find one version of the summary online. There are loads and learn that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Thanks.

1) He has a successful leather business and incorporates

2) The company has 20,007 shares....he owns 20,001, wife and 5 kids own the others

3) Payment is made up of 20,000 fully paid up 1 pound shares, 10,000 secured debenture and 8,000 cash

4) Company goes bust and liquidator claims unsecured creditors should be paid in priority to Mr Salomon as incorporation was a sham and you can't owe money to yourself (referring to debenture)

5) Court of Appeal agrees. Business was a sham. Mr Salomon was carrying on the exact same business as before through the agency a company. There was no independence

6) HL over rules and sets down modern cornerstone of company law. Once incorporated, the company becomes a separate legal personality. There are no independence requirements, you must simply comply with company act requirements which he had done (7 subscribers to memorandum each holding at least 1 share-him, wife + 5 kids). Totally irrelevant that after incorporation, the business is exactly the same and ran by the same people.

That's how I have learnt it anyway. Very simple presentation of the facts but they key bits are there and besides, you don't want to waste precious time writing out facts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

Hi all!

Can anyone explain prescription in relation to easements? I think complicated it a bit too much in my head and just do not get it. Is the 2013 act relevant here or is it just the Civil Law Miscellaneous Provisions Act 2011?

Any help, as always, much appreciated!

• Advertisement

Do you guys think it's safe to cut the following topics from property? Or if not, what can I cut??

Tenure
    Freehold Estates
    Hybrid Estates/Fee Farm Grants
    Trusts of Land/Settled Land

I'm covering the other 11 Topics in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saor19

Do you guys think it's safe to cut the following topics from property? Or if not, what can I cut??

Tenure
    Freehold Estates
    Hybrid Estates/Fee Farm Grants
    Trusts of Land/Settled Land

I'm covering the other 11 Topics in full.

It's very unlikely all of those four will be on the paper so you should be fine. They're not popular topics with the examiner. If you're really worried cover one briefly which would mean you'd have five questions.

saor19 wrote: »
    It's very unlikely all of those four will be on the paper so you should be fine. They're not popular topics with the examiner. If you're really worried cover one briefly which would mean you'd have five questions.

I'm actually cutting covenants too, so I might cover Hybrid Estates/Fee Farm Grants just in case.

Freaking at the thought of cutting 5 out of 16 Topics, but having looked at the grids and the fact that they are more of "historical significance" surely it's safe to get rid of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Can anyone tell me what came up in professional negligence for tort in March April 2014 please?

How long are the answers meant to be? For example, in property law, April 2014 Question Eight, I can't see myself being able to say a lot past on land find v below land find and something on the monuments act maybe because the gun is an antique (?). There are only a handful of cases in the manual. Is between 2-3 pages going to be enough as an answer?

Or am I just freaking myself out that knowing everything in the manual on this topic isn't enough?

I'm actually cutting covenants too, so I might cover Hybrid Estates/Fee Farm Grants just in case.

Freaking at the thought of cutting 5 out of 16 Topics, but having looked at the grids and the fact that they are more of "historical significance" surely it's safe to get rid of them...

I think you would be totally fine leaving these out. I was thinking of only covering the following:

Succession
    AP
    Co-Ownership
    Easements
    Family Property
    Finding/Treasure Trove

Wonder if this is cutting it way too fine?

Don't have time to do Mortgages. I have Company on Tues so focusing on that from now so will only have a day and a half to spend on Property....eeek!

I think you would be totally fine leaving these out. I was thinking of only covering the following:

Succession
    AP
    Co-Ownership
    Easements
    Family Property
    Finding/Treasure Trove

Wonder if this is cutting it way too fine?

Don't have time to do Mortgages. I have Company on Tues so focusing on that from now so will only have a day and a half to spend on Property....eeek!

They are definitely the 6 most important topics, and topics the examiner is very keen on (and has a research interest in some).

Best of luck with Company (that's for my next sitting).

I didn't think I'd contribute much but I'm finding this thread so helpful.

How long are the answers meant to be? For example, in property law, April 2014 Question Eight, I can't see myself being able to say a lot past on land find v below land find and something on the monuments act maybe because the gun is an antique (?). There are only a handful of cases in the manual. Is between 2-3 pages going to be enough as an answer?

Or am I just freaking myself out that knowing everything in the manual on this topic isn't enough?

I did that exam and that Q I think my answer was three pages. There are five or 6 Cases armor v delamer,elwes v brig, Parker v ba waverly v borough,chairman national land auth v flack, tamworth ind v ag, hannah v peel bridges v hawkesworth
    I also mentioned the monuments act as the objects found were confiscated it may have been because they were arch items.
    That's pure from recall tho. Hope it helps. Finding was up last two papers so it may not appear again.

Legal125 wrote: »
    I did that exam and that Q I think my answer was three pages. There are five or 6 Cases armor v delamer,elwes v brig, Parker v ba waverly v borough,chairman national land auth v flack, tamworth ind v ag, hannah v peel bridges v hawkesworth
    I also mentioned the monuments act as the objects found were confiscated it may have been because they were arch items.
    That's pure from recall tho. Hope it helps. Finding was up last two papers so it may not appear again.

Thanks. Independent said it was in the top category of things to learn for this year, so I'm doing it!

Succession is melting my head and the Publications Office messed up sending me my acts. Ordered them two weeks ago and still no sign!

Serious question: where do people get sample answers? I can't judge my own!

Thanks. Independent said it was in the top category of things to learn for this year, so I'm doing it!

Succession is melting my head and the Publications Office messed up sending me my acts. Ordered them two weeks ago and still no sign!

Serious question: where do people get sample answers? I can't judge my own!

To be honest, id do topics regardless of what the colleges say. They are just making educated guesses which sometimes are right and sometimes not so right.

You will be fine. Especially with land. It's totally doable. (Grant it no one could convince me of that for my first four and no one can now either for my second four).
    Regular college answers are fine. Don't overthink that. Get as much detail relevant to the Q asked on the page. Answering the Q asked is half of it.

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me whether there is an area to sit/study in the Red Cow Hotel as it looks like I will be dropped there at 7am each morning??

Happy to buy a coffee, etc. but just wondering if the hotel is open to FE1 students or is there a specific area only for the exam hall?

This may be a silly question but I want to ensure I don't lose those 2 valuable cramming hours....

Can anyone tell me whether there is an area to sit/study in the Red Cow Hotel as it looks like I will be dropped there at 7am each morning??

Happy to buy a coffee, etc. but just wondering if the hotel is open to FE1 students or is there a specific area only for the exam hall?

This may be a silly question but I want to ensure I don't lose those 2 valuable cramming hours....

Yeah there are areas in the hotel. Tends to be fe1 students all over the place. U will be able to find somewhere to sit and read no hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Anyone know what time should I leave the city centre to get to red cow .. Just to be safe ?( by taxi) Take a/c Morning traffic etc. Is 8 too late? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Ha wait and you see it, it's like a battle scene in a film with stressed students thrown in every corner of the place!!

But ya the exams are in a big conference room and you can sit outside that, it's away from the main lobby area of the hotel so it's just students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

Anyone know if there is anyway of saving your college online viewing lectures to access if you need to resit. With The cost i have incurred paying for them, i dont want to pay again if HOPEFULLY NOT I do mess up. Mods go easy on me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

S12b wrote: »
    Ha wait and you see it, it's like a battle scene in a film with stressed students thrown in every corner of the place!!

But ya the exams are in a big conference room and you can sit outside that, it's away from the main lobby area of the hotel so it's just students.

Tbh its hell up there! There is a macdonalds down the road where you could sit down with a coffee (i think they open around 7) and you would get twice as much if not more done sitting down there for 2/3 of the time than you would in that lobby! Its distraction central and not ideal. Also, make sure you get a bit of fresh air a bite to est etc in those 2 hours as its a long morning.

Tbh its hell up there! There is a macdonalds down the road where you could sit down with a coffee (i think they open around 7) and you would get twice as much if not more done sitting down there for 2/3 of the time than you would in that lobby! Its distraction central and not ideal. Also, make sure you get a bit of fresh air a bite to est etc in those 2 hours as its a long morning.

Thanks a mil for the heads up. It sounds beyond distracting and those few hours are crucial.

I might pass on the lift and get the Luas from town.

Is 9am ok to get there? And what time should I look to get a Luas (8??)

Don't mean to sound like I need hand holding but want to be sure I'm ok re time etc. (one less thing to worry about)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 add727

Does anyone know what was flagged by any of the prep courses as likely to appear for Equity? I'm covering Undue Influence, Estoppel, Specific Performance, Express, Secret and Constructive Trusts and Trusteeship. Also going to be as familiar as I can be with Injunctions as a back up, really not confident with them! Think that's sufficient?

Wondering is there plenty of parking in the red cow in the morning or is it best to get there early?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

What has been tipped (using the term lightly) by the prep courses for Company??

What was their recommendations regarding the new Act??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement