Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Nothing like the Fe1's to make u question your decisions in life! Seriously these exams are torture :(

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

dashdoll wrote: »
    Does anyone have any thoughts on what aspect of directors might be examined in Company? Getting a bit desperate!

Plan on covering the following:
    SLP
    Ultra Vires
    Ostensible Authority
    Share Transfer
    Minority Shareholder Protection
    Corp Borrowing
    Distribution of Assets
    Restriction of Directors
    Directors Duties

Think I will leave out liquidation.

Any thoughts on this?

I'm doing the same bar Ultra Vires leaving that out. There is no way everything can be covered. So hard to even do a but of guess work on what will come up due to the extra paper last time. City reckon March paper simple so that was the extra one. I hope SLP, authority, restriction, duties and borrowings come up...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Shan89

Hi,
    Has anybody stayed in any other hotels close by bar the Red Cow itself and the ibis.. Or are there any close by? Left it late booking and the prices have gone up so much since the last sitting?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RUBYKSU

Anyone know what questions on succession came up in the last property paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Can anyone explain the JD Brian Motors (Belgard Motors) case and it's significance for the exam.....it's not in my manual??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭5mcdonag

Shan89 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Has anybody stayed in any other hotels close by bar the Red Cow itself and the ibis.. Or are there any close by? Left it late booking and the prices have gone up so much since the last sitting?

Thanks

You could try bewleys newlands cross. green isle. fitzpatrick hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭5mcdonag

Any tips for what review courses are saying may come up in contract? Trying to narrow it down as been unable to study until now due to illness. Tia

S12b wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the JD Brian Motors (Belgard Motors) case and it's significance for the exam.....it's not in my manual??

Where did you hear of it not in mine either and manual is 2013. Its relevant to distribution of assets on winding up with in liquidation.
    http://www.williamfry.ie/publication-article/priority_of_crystallised_floating_charges_%E2%80%93_the_belgard_motors_case.aspx

Good summary above.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

RUBYKSU wrote: »
    Anyone know what questions on succession came up in the last property paper?
    2 part problem
    Failure of gift in a will and separately a problem on whether a will valid or not.

Another 2 part on 117 and s59 approp of prop

That's from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

dinemo6 wrote: »
    Anybody who has stayed in the Red Cow before know how strict they are about check out time??

Will you have to check out before the exam or can you do it at half 12 no?

Must ring them to check but wanted to see what others did with previous sittings....

No problems at all. Mention it to them on check in, they're well used to it with people staying for the exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

No problems at all. Mention it to them on check in, they're well used to it with people staying for the exams.

That's great, thanks!

Didn't fancy a €30 late check out charge!?!

Will be so much handier checking out after the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

First exam (Company) on Tues and feeling totally swamped. The more I read the less I remember and the more worried I get.

I haven't even sat one yet and am wondering how anyone gets through 8.

Not remember cases 10 minutes after I read them and getting caselaw mixed into the wrong topics...nightmare

It's my first set so desperate to pass three.....never felt so unprepared for exams!

First exam (Company) on Tues and feeling totally swamped. The more I read the less I remember and the more worried I get.

Not remember cases 10 minutes after I read them and getting caselaw mixed into the wrong topics...nightmare

Persevere. I know how it feels I'm the same. But on the day you will be surprised what comes back to you. I have all the topics I'm covering for company read once nothing learned as of yet. Brain fried now and leaving it for today. You have two whole days that's a lot of time in which it will come together for you. Do you have sample answers? They help to get rid of the excess cases you might be trying to remember and though possible you will find that you simply will not have the time to write every casr even if you know them. I found that to my detriment last time and ran out of time big time.

I gave up after criminal last sitting did nothing for equity in the two days in between i just read in the car on the way up and lo& behold I got fifty on the button and transpires I passed property and criminal also. So dispite how Tuesday goes stick at it as you never know how they can go. Last march was my first sitting of these exams. I'm thirty and finished my masters six years ago and hadn't done subjects in ten years. I didn't pay from prep course either so it is possible. Pm me if you want company stuff and I'll send it

It's my first set so desperate to pass three.....never felt so unprepared for exams!

If it helps,You are not alone with any of it....:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dowistrepla

King Ian wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity am I correct in saying that the Tort paper for April 2014 went as follow:

1) Res ipsa loquiter essay
    2) trespass to land problem (kind of a weber v simpson scenario)
    3) vicarious liability
    4) general negligence problem - duet, standard, causation etc (question about a wild dolphin!)
    5) essay on survival of actions on death
    6) nuisance problem
    7) breach of statutory duty
    8) problem on nervous shock

Am I correct?

I'm guessing you've seen the actual paper. They're the right topics anyway according to my grid. Anyone know what the vicarious liability Q was about?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eveline14

Does anyone know what topics are tipped for tort by the prep courses? Trying to cover far too much at the moment and starting to freak out.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Midlecat wrote: »

Persevere. I know how it feels I'm the same. But on the day you will be surprised what comes back to you. I have all the topics I'm covering for company read once nothing learned as of yet. Brain fried now and leaving it for today. You have two whole days that's a lot of time in which it will come together for you. Do you have sample answers? They help to get rid of the excess cases you might be trying to remember and though possible you will find that you simply will not have the time to write every casr even if you know them. I found that to my detriment last time and ran out of time big time.

I gave up after criminal last sitting did nothing for equity in the two days in between i just read in the car on the way up and lo& behold I got fifty on the button and transpires I passed property and criminal also. So dispite how Tuesday goes stick at it as you never know how they can go. Last march was my first sitting of these exams. I'm thirty and finished my masters six years ago and hadn't done subjects in ten years. I didn't pay from prep course either so it is possible. Pm me if you want company stuff and I'll send it

Thanks so much for the reply and the vote of confidence! Im never this nutty...these exams are getting the better of me bigtime!

Have sample answers too..just need to get everything into my head which is proving v troublesome!

That's a v inspiring story about your exam results too so will try keep it in mind for the next few days! :-)

Good luck with the study!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JCx

From my understanding of it, it refers to the preferential payments in winding up. Preferential debts take priority over floating charges... However, in this case, the bank gave notice of crystallisation prior to the wind up, therefore arguing that they should be paid out before the preferential creditors.

It follows the reasoning in Stein v Saywell nevertheless.

....... I think ðŸ˜

This is also more relevant re company borrowings and crystallisation of floating charges. Examiner made reference to it in march 13 q6 which asked about circumstances in which f/c crystalises. My manual has a paragraph on this topic only. So in belgard the judge held that priority afforded to pref creds by virtue of s 285(7) subsists even where charge crystalises prior to liquidation. So there was no was the charge could rank ahead of preferential creditors.

This is also more relevant re company borrowings and crystallisation of floating charges. Examiner made reference to it in march 13 q6 which asked about circumstances in which f/c crystalises. My manual has a paragraph on this topic only. So in belgard the judge held that priority afforded to pref creds by virtue of s 285(7) subsists even where charge crystalises prior to liquidation. So there was no was the charge could rank ahead of preferential creditors.

Additionally the service alone of conversion notice was not sufficient to fix the charge in circumstances where the company was still free to deal with the asset subsequently ie the main characteristic of fixed charge not present. So the supplementary judgement diverges from English case law. This is relevant re the giving of notice by the debenture holder - re wogans Drogheda Ltd re bright life Ltd etc

• Advertisement

Additionally the service alone of conversion notice was not sufficient to fix the charge in circumstances where the company was still free to deal with the asset subsequently ie the main characteristic of fixed charge not present. So the supplementary judgement diverges from English case law. This is relevant re the giving of notice by the debenture holder - re wogans Drogheda Ltd re bright life Ltd etc

Final point re this was the consideration of judge on validity of express/automatic crystallisation ie no rule of law which precludes this.

I hope this helps just working through it myself. Strange that the manuals and sample answers do not refer to it when examiner called it 'leading authority on automatic crystallisation. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Final point re this was the consideration of judge on validity of express/automatic crystallisation ie no rule of law which precludes this.

I hope this helps just working through it myself. Strange that the manuals and sample answers do not refer to it when examiner called it 'leading authority on automatic crystallisation. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

That's perfect, I'll go over all of that after tort tomorrow.....thanks very much!!

Judge says Nothing legally which precludes them but equally said nothing can change nature of floating charge ie it won't rank ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭laurenburne

Hey anyone know what question on directors came up last year? would be much appreciated.....how are people feeling about examinership, liquidation, winding up or reckless and fraudulent trading?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭makemecrazy

Can anyone shed light as to what real benefit there is to bringing in the succession act or sales of goods act into the exams? I haven't looked at them yet and don't see how beneficial they really could be!? any insight would be really appreciated. there seems to be so much to learn off for say The Residential Tenancies Act 2004 in comparison...

Can anyone shed light as to what real benefit there is to bringing in the succession act or sales of goods act into the exams? I haven't looked at them yet and don't see how beneficial they really could be!? any insight would be really appreciated. there seems to be so much to learn off for say The Residential Tenancies Act 2004 in comparison...

U could prob be ok without sale of goods.
    But succession outlines rules on testate and Intestacy ie the divisions of property
    I found it handy even if u learn if off u can be surprised if you panic and wonder if a person should be getting a Half or a third on death. If you feel comfortable learning the stuff off then obv there is no need for legislation for any exam. I used it for piece of mind. Anything that reduces stress helps.

Legal125 wrote: »
    U could prob be ok without sale of goods.
    But succession outlines rules on testate and Intestacy ie the divisions of property
    I found it handy even if u learn if off u can be surprised if you panic and wonder if a person should be getting a Half or a third on death. If you feel comfortable learning the stuff off then obv there is no need for legislation for any exam. I used it for piece of mind. Anything that reduces egress helps.

Totally agree with this. For instance if something comes up that u have not prepared like part of a question it can be really handy for getting something down at least. I've to hand on company legislation Tuesday morning and need it big time so hope they will get it to me

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

For anyone who has sat these before,

I was just wondering, for cases is it preferable to underline the name of the case / write in red pen ?

Also, is it better if your answer is divided into headlined sections, and if so, how specific should the divisions be?

In other words... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Best of luck to all doing Tort tomorrow !

Can't believe it's time already ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Can anyone please clarify :

Lindsay v mid western Health board
    Did res ipsa loquitor apply in this case ? And is it ' Lindsay or Lyndsay the correct spelling?

My notes says the doctrine applied , city night before notes said it didn't apply...

Someone please help :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement