Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JCx

LawCQ91 wrote: »
    Best of luck to all doing Tort tomorrow !

Can't believe it's time already ...

I have no idea where the time has gone and don't feel like I've prepared enough!

May they all fly by!! Stressed out of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭laurenburne

For company in relation to directors.... section 31...loans, quasi loans and other transactions...Is anyone else finding this really hard to remember...maybe im getting to bogged down in it???

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

Can anyone please clarify :

Lindsay v mid western Health board
    Did res ipsa loquitor apply in this case ? And is it ' Lindsay or Lyndsay the correct spelling?

My notes says the doctrine applied , city night before notes said it didn't apply...

Someone please help :(

Don't worry about spelling. They did raise res ipsa but they said that as they could show they had used all reas care the def had rebutted the inference and basically they didn't apply the hanrahan extra criteria and also the fact that the ultimate causal fault wasn't est'd didn't matter as they had shown they used all reas care.
    Sory that may not make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Does anyone know in an ord neg question when do you apply the affirmative duty like re publicans as opposed to ord duty of care? This is baffling me

Does anyone know in an ord neg question when do you apply the affirmative duty like re publicans as opposed to ord duty of care? This is baffling me

U are confusing flanigan case. My understanding is.
    Law by its approach has defined Certain categories owe duty of care ie manufacturers to consumers, publicans have been held to do so - reas std of care owed. Hall v kennedy. Safety of the premises. Ie if X is always violent and u let him stay without security and he injured someone. Neg may be est compare vs Wallace v flynn

That std does not include a general duty of people owing care to intoxicated people. Under no duty to act if someone decided to take a drink and injured self or others after this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Glinda!

Not so much as one eye closed all night. Please Mr.Friel have 5 recognisable questions on the paper!! At this stage I may not recognise my own name :-(

Glinda! wrote: »
    Not so much as one eye closed all night. Please Mr.Friel have 5 recognisable questions on the paper!! At this stage I may not recognise my own name :-(

I'm with you!! I always miss the plain bare faced negligence Q. Well I'm never sure with those prob Qs particularly.

I hope he reels in his nastiness

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

Best of luck to everyone doing Tort today!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Midlecat wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone doing Tort today!

Yes, good luck all! Leaving now to drive to Dublin with a suitcase full of books and the prospect of an all nighter ahead to try learn the company law course in a day...lovely!

dashdoll wrote: »
    Yes, good luck all! Leaving now to drive to Dublin with a suitcase full of books and the prospect of an all nighter ahead to try learn the company law course in a day...lovely!

Lol me too. Whole course to do nothing at all gone in to my head. I'd say all nighter for me too before getting bus at five in morning. Regretting not booking in to hotel now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Bertie1986

Best of luck to everyone doing tort today!

As unprepared as I feel I just want to get started (and finished).

I won't make it to the Red Cow before Property on Thursday so will be handing in my legislation on Thursday morning. Do they definitely hand them out in the first hour? Anxious as succession is 1.5/2 whole questions and don't want to be finished 3 questions and waiting for the Act...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

For anyone who has sat these before,

I was just wondering, for cases is it preferable to underline the name of the case / write in red pen ?

Also, is it better if your answer is divided into headlined sections, and if so, how specific should the divisions be?

In other words... :confused:

That sounds like a waste of precious time to me. They know the cases involved, they'll find 'em!

As for your question on sections, I'm approaching the answers like I did my undergrad exams. Use the ILAC method (Issue, Law, Application, Conclusion). I would never have sectioned off an answer in college, but maybe you could. I feel like it would interrupt the flow of the answer, though, which is often meant to read like advice to a client..

Maybe someone more experienced will tell me I'm completely wrong, though!

That sounds like a waste of precious time to me. They know the cases involved, they'll find 'em!

As for your question on sections, I'm approaching the answers like I did my undergrad exams. Use the ILAC method (Issue, Law, Application, Conclusion). I would never have sectioned off an answer in college, but maybe you could. I feed like it would interrupt the flow of the answer, though, which is often meant to read like advice to a client..

Maybe someone more experienced will tell me I'm completely wrong, though!

I'm the same and never use headings however property examiner every year requests highlighting and headings which I did for some questions and not for others in that exam but I only went back at end to do this. Def will not get more marks for highlighting than finishing a question so I suggest doing this at the very end. I remember I was writing like a maniac and beside me was a girl v relaxed highlighting and switching pens every few seconds if they want all that carry on they may make it a five hour exam

Are we allowed to tab legislation or just highlight/underline?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bertie1986

Are we allowed to tab legislation or just highlight/underline?

You can tab it too. Basically, anything except writing.

Are you dropping it in the morning of the exam or before?

Can anyone tell me when last q on section 160 CCA 1990 came up? Covering restriction 150 - might chance leaving 160 if scope...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

King Ian wrote: »
    Someone sent me pics of the tort paper this morning and I know post mortems are pointless but it seems to have been

1) straightforward essay on occupiers liability
    2) straightforward problem on passing off
    3) essay on survival of actions on death (identical repeat of the April paper!)
    4) straightforward problem on trespass against the person with a sport/soccer theme
    5) a curious looking problem on general negligence and control of children. Anyone have any thoughts?
    6) semi-decent problem on causation and remoteness but with a lot of irrelevant padding at the start?
    7) essay on limitation periods
    8) I honestly have no clue what this one is about. Deceit and trespass to goods?

Apparently it was vicarious liability :( I had started in on vicarious and had a page written and got thought I got it wrong and crossed it off then started on general negligence :( so upset !! So I won't get a mark for it .. It's my 5th question :(

Does anyone one if I am say very close to passing - would the examiner or if I appeal the external examiner would checked out my crossed off work?
    :(

Apparently it was vicarious liability :( I had started in on vicarious and had a page written and got thought I got it wrong and crossed it off then started on general negligence :( so upset !! So I won't get a mark for it .. It's my 5th question :(

Does anyone one if I am say very close to passing - would the examiner or if I appeal the external examiner would checked out my crossed off work?
    :(

My friend had this and got dragged up on recheck though he failed all four was brought up in two exams by a good bit think criminal and property cant recall amd not just by a %, so well worth a try. Its possible pass with four they may not look at crossed out section though as it goes to root of identifying the issue. I'd say head up and move on to next one. :)

I need to get off here now and work.

My friend had this and got dragged up on recheck though he failed all four was brought up in two exams by a good bit think criminal and property cant recall amd not just by a %, so well worth a try. Its possible pass with four they may not look at crossed out section though as it goes to root of identifying the issue. I'd say head up and move on to next one. :)

I need to get off here now and work.

I really hope so :( I had two good questions , 2 ok questions and messed up the last one .. Can't believe I doubted myself .. I am just hoping given that it's my last question and I made an honest mistake :( and whatever I wrote the the crossed off section would defo get me a few marks , if I was close maybe there will check my crossed off work and pass me :(

Thanks for the reply! Gonna try and not get too wound up

Bertie1986 wrote: »
    You can tab it too. Basically, anything except writing.

Are you dropping it in the morning of the exam or before?

I'm gonna drop it up tomorrow morning, I think. Don't think I could face an hour wait for it on Thursday!

I've basically highlighted every section mentioned in the manual. :P

• Advertisement

I really hope so :( I had two good questions , 2 ok questions and messed up the last one .. Can't believe I doubted myself .. I am just hoping given that it's my last question and I made an honest mistake :( and whatever I wrote the the crossed off section would defo get me a few marks , if I was close maybe there will check my crossed off work and pass me :(

Thanks for the reply! Gonna try and not get too wound up

Yea just put it behind you now. Most people leave worst q til last anyway and due to time constraints etc last question almost always c**p at least you didn't do it as your first question and spend ages at it. Good luck in next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Someone sent me pics of the tort paper this morning and I know post mortems are pointless but it seems to have been

1) straightforward essay on occupiers liability
    2) straightforward problem on passing off
    3) essay on survival of actions on death (identical repeat of the April paper!)
    4) straightforward problem on trespass against the person with a sport/soccer theme
    5) a curious looking problem on general negligence and control of children. Anyone have any thoughts?
    6) semi-decent problem on causation and remoteness but with a lot of irrelevant padding at the start?
    7) essay on limitation periods
    8) I honestly have no clue what this one is about. Deceit and trespass to goods?

Q 8 is vicarious liability...I hope

Yea just put it behind you now. Most people leave worst q til last anyway and due to time constraints etc last question almost always c**p at least you didn't do it as your first question and spend ages at it. Good luck in next one!

Thank you so much :) that's really nice of you for the comforting message , best of luck tomorrow for company

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭5mcdonag

Any tips on what review courses think may come up in contract aside from offer acceptance and consideration?

5mcdonag wrote: »
    Any tips on what review courses think may come up in contract aside from offer acceptance and consideration?

Independent said top ones to definitely learn: offer, acceptance, consideration, consumer protection terms, mistake, misrepresentation, discharge, remedies.

Also important and should really learn: exclusion clauses, undue influence, privity of contract and capacity.

It's a lot!!

I very, very much doubt that. Where was the VL connection? Seems to me like general negligence with an element of control over children (eg Curley v Mannion) - albeit very very threadbare.

I can't see how you could stretch it to vicarious liability because other than Moynihan v Moynihan you'd literally have nothing to say

Maybe I'm wrong!

And agreed - most peoples last question is total rubbish. If you have 4 relatively solid answers and the 5th one sketch then you should be fine

Stop confusing and scaring people.
    Q8 was vicarious liability and u are confusing it with Q 5 which was the child case and more akin to negligence

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Was there maby people sitting the exam today?

Stopped by the red cow to hand in my Companies Act but the exam was on so didnt see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭5mcdonag

Independent said top ones to definitely learn: offer, acceptance, consideration, consumer protection terms, mistake, misrepresentation, discharge, remedies.

Also important and should really learn: exclusion clauses, undue influence, privity of contract and capacity.

It's a lot!!

Thank you so much. Even worse for me as I am only revising now! Fingers crossed my memory kicks in fairly rapid!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

I very, very much doubt that. Where was the VL connection? Seems to me like general negligence with an element of control over children (eg Curley v Mannion) - albeit very very threadbare.

I can't see how you could stretch it to vicarious liability because other than Moynihan v Moynihan you'd literally have nothing to say

Maybe I'm wrong!

And agreed - most peoples last question is total rubbish. If you have 4 relatively solid answers and the 5th one sketch then you should be fine

Where was the VL connection?!? The question specifically mentioned advising the shop as to their negligence for their employee's actions (i.e. vicarious liability) :confused:

So sickened I chose not to do passing off, looked like a steady enough question on it!

• Advertisement

Where was the VL connection?!? The question specifically mentioned advising the shop as to their negligence for their employee's actions (i.e. vicarious liability) :confused:

So sickened I chose not to do passing off, looked like a steady enough question on it!

King Ian is muddling Q8 and Q5.
    Q8 was vl well as far as I can gather.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement