Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

CRM1 wrote: »
    I did this question on this basis also. Disposition of assets after petition of winding up has occurred. Fraudulent preferential payments - re Fredericks inns. I thought it was a nice paper. I was expecting one like Aprils but all in all not too bad. I got four hopefully okay questions and a dodgey 5 th on the above. Here's hoping I've done enough. onto the next one!!

I'm trying to just put exam behind me and look to Thursday but I can't stop all the stuff I should have written popping into my head and then the stuff I made a balls of! Hopefully 3 good and 2 ok questions will scrap me by

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

Bayley1 wrote: »
    CRM1 wrote: »
    I did this question on this basis also. Disposition of assets after petition of winding up has occurred. Fraudulent preferential payments - re Fredericks inns. I thought it was a nice paper. I was expecting one like Aprils but all in all not too bad. I got four hopefully okay questions and a dodgey 5 th on the above. Here's hoping I've done enough. onto the next one!!

I'm trying to just put exam behind me and look to Thursday but I can't stop all the stuff I should have written popping into my head and then the stuff I made a balls of! Hopefully 3 good and 2 ok questions will scrap me by

Oh yeah do. I have a ritual of throwing everything away once exam is done. Your focus is ruined for the next one otherwise. Happened me with the first fe 1 I took - tort thought I had miserably failed it and couldn't stop thinking about it. Took ages to move on. I had failed it but by 6 marks. My point is you can't gage so next time you do find yourself thinking of today's one tell yourself that in doing so it's eating into marks for your next exam. That's what I learnt the hard way, but hopefully my last sitting. Draining exams!!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Could anyone advise if Donatia Mortis Causa is relevant as part of Succession? Is it ever examined?

Also, Im a bit confused on prescription limits in easements. I have notes referring to the Civil Law Bill 2011. Presume this is enacted by now and alllows for old prescriptive laws to be used until 2021? Confused!

Would really appreciate any input on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

So burnt out after the last two did virtually nothing today for property! need a big day tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bertie1986

EASEMENTS

I know this is a popular topic with the examiner, but I really can't get in to the acquisition/creation of easements.

I will only be doing this question if completely stuck - do you think it's enough to learn the characteristics of an easement and a few of the recognised easements e.g. Right of way, right to light,etc?

At least then you could probably answer two thirds of a problem question??

Has acquisition/creation of easements ever come up on its own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

What is the bare minimum needed for contract?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Hi,
    Just wondering what the story is with a witness to a will being under 18. Is this allowed? Mentioned in April examiners reports as reference to "young people" Thanks

Hi I had the exact same query when I sat property in April. I emailed my lecturer and she said witnesses should be over 18 but there doesn't appear to be any clear authority for this so just state it and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saor19

Just looking at contract papers here and my brain is numb!

In March 2012, Q8 was to discuss the relationship between consideration and undue influence. Where's the nexus?! I apologise in advance for what's likely to be a ridiculous question! If someone could give me a few lines about it, I would be really grateful!

Hope you're all powering on!

My notes say:
    In a situation where there is an allegation of undue influence then the court will look at the adequacy of consideration because there is an allegation of unfairness and/or mala fides. (because the court will usually only look at sufficiency of consideration not adequacy?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 charliebabbitt

AFAIK, yes, you can, as long as there's no lapse. I believe a lapse would need to be six months of the property being vacant.

Hi, what is the basis for the 6 months? S.18 of Statute of Limitations just says once possession is abandoned for any length of time. Thanks

Hi, what is the basis for the 6 months? S.18 of Statute of Limitations just says once possession is abandoned for any length of time. Thanks

It's in my notes. The property lecturer at Independent made the comment that a day wouldn't count, it'd need to be a more extended period of discontinuance - six months - when we did an exam question where there was one day gap.

It's called "tacking". There needs to be some non-hostile nexus between the two squatters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

Any thoughts/tips for Property?! I am just longing to have this exam over at this stage!!

MissM89 wrote: »
    Any thoughts/tips for Property?! I am just longing to have this exam over at this stage!!

I feel exactly the same. It's my first one and I just want to get started (regardless of how much/little I know)

For Property I'm focusing mainly on:

Succession
    Finding
    Family Property
    Adverse Possession
    Licences and Rights of Residence
    Co-Ownership
    Easements

Do people think that's enough??

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

Bertie1986 wrote: »
    I feel exactly the same. It's my first one and I just want to get started (regardless of how much/little I know)

Succession
    Finding
    Family Property
    Adverse Possession
    Co-Ownership
    Easements

I'm doing
    succession
    Finding
    Adverse possession
    Co-ownership
    Licences (estoppel and rights of res)
    Mortgages
    Family property
    Covenants

Surely that covers things? Easements is a good one. Just couldn't get into it though .

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

Bertie1986 wrote: »

Succession
    Finding
    Family Property
    Adverse Possession
    Co-Ownership
    Easements

Im literally doing the very same list as you - it was a toss up between easements and covenants but I just cannot understand covenants at all! I think that is enough, especially if the usual 2 questions on succession come up but then again you never know! I am just worried that they might throw something random into half a question that I might not have covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

Im literally doing the very same list as you - it was a toss up between easements and covenants but I just cannot understand covenants at all! I think that is enough, especially if the usual 2 questions on succession come up but then again you never know! I am just worried that they might throw something random into half a question that I might not have covered!

Equity's darling and the use it can be as part of an option Q. Throw that on il and you'd have to be covered. Only way land has changed is that she has but compulsory a and b part questions which might be different parts of the course so that is the only way one can get caught but still with all those u should be fine. If you looked at her last three papers they are indicative of the newer format.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

If I recall from my exam commorientes was part a question for succession with the 2011 act provisions regarding tinc v jt and how ppty is held on death at same time. If that makes sense its just from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭laurenburne

For easements does anyone know do we still have to talk about the presciption act 1832 or has it being completely overtaken by the 2009 act? theres not much info on the right to light or a view yet it comes up a good bit in the past pears.... very annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

I'm doing the same too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭5mcdonag

dashdoll wrote: »
    Could anyone advise if Donatia Mortis Causa is relevant as part of Succession? Is it ever examined?

Also, Im a bit confused on prescription limits in easements.

1. Yes and yes, although couldn't tell you when. It's a death bed gift and can effect the will. Small topic with only a few cases - very easy to quickly learn just in case. Sen v Headley. mills v shield. sugden v lord st leonard

2. Not doing easements so can't help there!

Midlecat wrote: »
    If I recall from my exam commorientes was part a question for succession with the 2011 act provisions regarding tinc v jt and how ppty is held on death at same time. If that makes sense its just from memory

Pretty sure was tested in 2010 but just one of the a.b.c.d. topics to choose from.

• Advertisement

Offer acceptance consideration

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

5mcdonag wrote: »
    Offer acceptance consideration
    Please don't do that. You know what the other user was asking for. You are also incorrect - there are a few other elements required to create a contract.

In any event, people are mid-exams and I'd imagine pretty stressed. It would be best to keep smartarsery to a minimum at the moment, non?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Disaster. Ended up getting the train from Galway at 7:30 this morning so I would be at the Red Cow before 12:30 to hand up the Succession Act. The possibility did occur to me (only on the train on the way up) that it may not be possible to hand up legislation on non-exam days. However, I thought the Law Society would be more accommodating. I know you don't need to hand it up in person but I don't see the people I know that live in Dublin that regularly (naturally enough as they live in Dublin) so that isn't that convenient. I imagine there is a good proportion of people doing these exams from outside Dublin. Surely they could just have had one person there for three hours this morning to accommodate us. If you are unable to get a friend to hand it in and your first exam is the day after a non-exam day it basically means that you have to travel up to Dublin a few days before the exam for the sole purpose of handing in the legislation.

Does anyone who has handed legislation in on the morning of an exam know how long I am likely to be waiting in the exam for it? Am I right in saying that 9am is the earliest I can hand it in at tomorrow? Also are you allowed to write on the tabs? I have double tabbed everything (one with writing, one without) so if they do remove them I have something marked. I have just written the relevant areas of the law that the articles on any given page apply to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Redo91 wrote: »
    Also are you allowed to write on the tabs? I have double tabbed everything (one with writing, one without) so if they do remove them I have something marked. I have just written the relevant areas of the law that the articles on any given page apply to.

No, the only thing you can write on it is your exam number.

Other than that all you can do is highlight or underline.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Redo91 wrote: »
    Disaster. Ended up getting the train from Galway at 7:30 this morning so I would be at the Red Cow before 12:30 to hand up the Succession Act. The possibility did occur to me (only on the train on the way up) that it may not be possible to hand up legislation on non-exam days. However, I thought the Law Society would be more accommodating. I know you don't need to hand it up in person but I don't see the people I know that live in Dublin that regularly (naturally enough as they live in Dublin) so that isn't that convenient. I imagine there is a good proportion of people doing these exams from outside Dublin. Surely they could just have had one person there for three hours this morning to accommodate us. If you are unable to get a friend to hand it in and your first exam is the day after a non-exam day it basically means that you have to travel up to Dublin a few days before the exam for the sole purpose of handing in the legislation.

Does anyone who has handed legislation in on the morning of an exam know how long I am likely to be waiting in the exam for it? Am I right in saying that 9am is the earliest I can hand it in at tomorrow? Also are you allowed to write on the tabs? I have double tabbed everything (one with writing, one without) so if they do remove them I have something marked. I have just written the relevant areas of the law that the articles on any given page apply to.

seriously don't worry, I handed in my companies act book yesterday morning at 9ish and had it by 10 and and that's a large book. 're writing, no writing allowed even just chapter name on the tab I had to take that off yesterday.

5mcdonag wrote: »
    Pretty sure was tested in 2010 but just one of the a.b.c.d. topics to choose from.

Yea just saying in the march 2014 paper I did q4 part a was commorientes type problem which was a bit unusual for succession and actually not in my manual either. It related to re Kennedy and to the civil law miscellaneous act 2008 sorry I said 2011in my above comment.

Just flagging it as my manual hadn't anything on the above and I only picked it up at the time from looking at past papers.

Can't say what the bare minimum is as some of the problem questions mix area. What I am going to try do is as follows;

Offer acceptance consideration ITCR
    Privity
    Consumer
    Mistake
    Misrep
    Discharge
    Remedies
    Undue influence
    Contractual terms

V ambitious for a day and a half lol

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Urgh.. I just want to cry ..
    Spent the whole day yesterday just learning damages and discharge ! A whole day!! and I can't remember half of the cases today.. Still have all the other topics to go through for contract! So overwhelmed :'(

Midlecat wrote: »
    Can't say what the bare minimum is as some of the problem questions mix area. What I am going to try do is as follows;

Offer acceptance consideration ITCR
    Privity
    Consumer
    Mistake
    Misrep
    Discharge
    Remedies
    Undue influence
    Contractual terms

V ambitious for a day and a half lol

Yeah, try a half since I have property tomorrow. Thinking contract is going to be more of a ghost exam..

• Advertisement

Yeah, try a half since I have property tomorrow. Thinking contract is going to be more of a ghost exam..

I'm the same - property tomorrow. No doubt that will be draining and I'm looking at an all nighter for contract.

I've read the contract topics a hundred times but my mind is blank.

Maybe once property is out of the way it will be easier to focus!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement