Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping bag rental

Options
  • 20-03-2013 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if it is possible to rent a quality light weight/ very warm sleeping bag for a multiday event. I have a warm one but its very heavy and so there wouldnt be much point in spending a lot of money as I wouldnt use it again after this one trip.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

A basic sleeping bag will set you back around 25 euro plus. I can't see you being able to rent one for less than that, and I am sure you will use it again.

Just had a look there, they start in argos at 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Not sure about rental. Anyone I know who has not bought their own has borrowed one when they needed a good cold weather bag. When you say very warm I am guessing that is making it an expensive purchase, in the several hundred euro realm? Basecamp are selling off down jackets at the mo, maybe they could give you a good price on a down bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

jeffontour wrote: »
    Not sure about rental. Anyone I know who has not bought their own has borrowed one when they needed a good cold weather bag. When you say very warm I am guessing that is making it an expensive purchase, in the several hundred euro realm? Basecamp are selling off down jackets at the mo, maybe they could give you a good price on a down bag.

Thanks will check them out. The bag that I need is rated around 0-3 degrees and they are hundreds, sadly. My own one would take up half the room in my backpack and wouldn't be able to fit in 6 days of food .

I think the 20 quid ones would not be warm enough, even sleeping in a down jacket as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Thanks will check them out. The bag that I need is rated around 0-3 degrees and they are hundreds, sadly. My own one would take up half the room in my backpack and wouldn't be able to fit in 6 days of food .

I think the 20 quid ones would not be warm enough, even sleeping in a down jacket as well.

Off topic to your original request but somewhat related: it might be worth considering a silk liner combined with a bag. From the small bit of camping I have done I have seen that a liner makes a big difference to the comfort level in an average/cheapo sleeping bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

It sounds like you need a decent one, so text round your mates and see if anyone has one, but assuming this is not a one off trip Id still suggest you take the plunge and get a decent one which is your own. Also look on adverts.ie and ebay. You might get exactly what you want for quite cheap. Just looked there, there is 61 sleeping bags for sale on adverts.ie some of them look like decent ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kite Runner

syklops wrote: »

It sounds like you need a decent one, so text round your mates and see if anyone has one, but assuming this is not a one off trip Id still suggest you take the plunge and get a decent one which is your own. Also look on adverts.ie and ebay. You might get exactly what you want for quite cheap. Just looked there, there is 61 sleeping bags for sale on adverts.ie some of them look like decent ones.
    well the North face shop in kildare outlet had serious quality bags on offer for the 30 euro mark a week ago, rrp over 200, can't go wrong, you could always sell on,

Advertisement