Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert importance

Options
  • 20-03-2013 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Do employers check your leaving cert if you have your degree ? My career guidance teacher stated as long as you have the degrees they dont care is this true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

No one Cares about the Leaving Cert.. what they want is Bachelors degree or Bachelors (Hons)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Cork24 wrote: »
    No one Cares about the Leaving Cert...
    That really isn't true. For example, if your degree doesn't have any mathematical content, then your LC counts for a lot if you got an honour in Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

It depends. If the job/career is in a regulated industry like healthcare then it's the degree that matters (though when filling in application forms I have been asked for leaving and junior cert results!). If its something more businessy etc than having studied economics/accounting/business at leaving cert would be an advantage. And then if you apply for a job and your CV is the only one that doesn't mention the leaving cert it could draw the interviewers attention to it.

I would assume the point your teacher is making is that it is not so important that it should consume or have a negative impact on your life. It's not worth getting overly stressed/anxious about to the point where you can't sleep etc. There are always alternative routes to every qualification and you can repeat it as many times as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Teacher in my school said he got employed and it wasnt till the 2nd year that the VEC asked for a copy of his degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭macsauce

That wasn't good advice at all. It can matter, a lot. Many companies have minimum CAO points requirements on top of a 2.1 degree. Most online applications require your leaving cert points and will filter out the ones that dont meet the requirement. There's also no point in lying on them as you'll have to supply them before signing the contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

It's all relative to your career path and what modules you may have studied which correlate appropriately, but in general, a good LC is a valuable asset regardless of what degree you may have. Having a good LC demonstrates an early maturity and early appreciation of strong work ethic, which is very attractive to a HRM.

However, having a bad LC is not the end of the world either. If your grades in college are good enough they will offset a relatively poor LC, hence, you'll deter attention from it (i.e. Achieving a 2.1 Degree or better). So if you have a strong LC milk it for what its worth, if not make sure you get the finger out in college and work hard to make up for it.

Advertisement