Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats a good value laptop to dual run Linux on?

Options
  • 20-03-2013 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Most important criteria are:
    - something light
    - good battery life
    - less than Euro 400
    - can dual boot as a linux machine

decent size hard drive would be good. Ive seen chromebooks but i cant install anything on them.

There are cheap laptops in PC World like Advent but they look a bit flaky. Any decent recommendations?

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

If you can live with it, the chromebooks represent good value IMO. You can install ubuntu on most / all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

Thanks for the answer. They only have 16Gb HD though, or am i totally misunderstanding? Could i develop software on a chromebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

There is one with a 320G hdd alright.

I'm seriously considering a chromebook myself to run linux on and I would be developing on it, even with only 16G of SSD space. The OS will only take up 2 ish, leaving 14 for other stuff. I know this to be plenty for me because I have a VM that I'm using at the moment and it has < 4G of disk space in use - now having said that, it is a really minimalist install. I put on ubuntu server, added LXDE (a really small window manager), IntellJ, Play Framework, various development bits and bobs (git etc) and Chromium. If you wanted an office suite, media players etc on top of that, well it'll all add up fairly quickly.

You'd need to be comfortable enough with Linux to go with a setup like that though IMO. If you're not at that comfort level I'd be looking at ~400 euro HP laptops, but I'd know I was taking the battery life hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

Wow, ill have to look for that, i see the Acer has 320 HD.

Advertisement