Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James Herbert has died :(

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wow, great author. I remember The Rats, very good book.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I only remember reading The Rats too when I was way too young to read it!

RIP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

May he RIP.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I read a good few of his books when I was younger. "Fluke" was an entertaining piece with an amusing premise, "Sepulchre" was quite creepy but his real works for me were the rats trilogy of "The Rats"/"Lair"/"Domain" (well four books if you throw in the graphic novel). They were a great descent into an apocalyptic world of rats, never afraid to take a dark route. He had a fondness for spending pages building up a new character in a chapter only to have them savagely killed by the end...

An enjoyable talent and Britain's closest answer to Stephen King.
    RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

RIP, I might give The Rats a read next, I thought I'd read some of his books but none of them are ringing a bell.
    Edit: I have Once, but don't remember reading it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Domain was my favourite of his, haven't read anything since '48 I think. Mind you he looks none too healthy in the pics in the BBC article :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Loved the Rats trilogy, I didnt think a lot of his other books were quite as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I read a lot of his early stuff can't really remember them. I have a feeling the Fog was one of my favourites. T'was different from the one they made into a movie. Rats was one of the first horror books I read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

My faves were:

The Rats, The Spear, Fluke, Moon, The Magic Cottage

I do remember at school we used to call him "James Pervert" because of the abundance of sex in his novels :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PADRAGON

He was one of my favourites as a teen
    i remember a sequence in the rats
    when the mutant rats
    streamed into london zoo in their thousands,how the different animals
    coped.The battles were amazing.Especially the silverback.
    To this day it remains vivid to me.
    Also Creed was hilarious.
    Id forgotten how funny a writer he was.

sorry i mustnt have done the spoiler properly
    mod please feel free to correct

• Advertisement
Advertisement