Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind turbine Ballybrit

Options
  • 20-03-2013 9:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Only noticed recently a wind turbine has been erected and is functioning on the Ballybrit industrial estate. It is located on the left as you head outbound on the N6 after the petrol station. It looks rather pleasant and complements its surroundings.
    When was it erected and who owns it?

Are there any other wind turbines within the city boundary excepting the docks area?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I'm a big fan of wind turbines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

It's been there for a good few months - it's powering Supermac's headquarters.

Probably installed to offset excessive carbon emissions from all those curry-cheese chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

dilallio wrote: »
    It's been there for a good few months - it's powering Supermac's headquarters.

Probably installed to offset excessive carbon emissions from all those curry-cheese chips.

I thought it was to blow away the emissions of all those curry/cheese chips

Probably need a bigger turbine though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

I'm a big fan of wind turbines.

The sheer size is mind Blowing

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's another on the way to Claregalway. Don't know who owns it though, maybe C&F Green Energy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

biko wrote: »
    There's another on the way to Claregalway. Don't know who owns it though, maybe C&F Green Energy?

That's in the grounds of a private residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    It looks rather pleasant and complements its surroundings.

I agreed with you when I saw it first, and think it looks just fine in the industrial estate.

But a while ago I was going down Castlepark, and was surprised by just how large/imposing it looks on the horizon: not sure if view-shafts are part of the planning process here, but if they are I'm surprised it got permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

But a while ago I was going down Castlepark, and was surprised by just how large/imposing it looks on the horizon: not sure if view-shafts are part of the planning process here, but if they are I'm surprised it got permission.

"Loss of visual amenity" is the one that is usually tried in such cases, but beside the stands in the racecourse that thing is tiny - the stands can be seen from Oranmore, the turbine is not anywhere near as noticeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

They are built by C&F Green Energy here in Galway (near to Athenry). I know because my father designed them. There's another one on the left as you go from Carnmore cross to Oranmore, on a farm. Personally, I think the one at the Supermacs depot looks great, and in my opinion it adds some relief to an otherwise, fairly bleak, industrial environment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm surprised that it is a Supermacs venture, I assume there exists a tax relief or grant for a company doing this?
    I like it, it's one of the better structures to appear in Galway in the past decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I think they're great to see in an urban environment - seriously what "visual amenity" would they be impeding in most locations in Galway city? Personally I don't consider a view of rooftops/buildings a "visual amenity"...

antoobrien wrote: »
    "Loss of visual amenity" is the one that is usually tried in such cases, but beside the stands in the racecourse that thing is tiny - the stands can be seen from Oranmore, the turbine is not anywhere near as noticeable.

Have you driven northwards along Castlepark since it went up?

Like I said, I only saw the problem when I actually drove along that road and saw the effect of surprisingly large-looking blades totally dominating the skyline. From everywhere else, it looks fine, IMHO.

Like I said, I only saw the problem when I actually drove along that road and saw the effect of surprisingly large-looking blades totally dominating the skyline. From everywhere else, it looks fine, IMHO.

Yeah, took notice of it the first time. It doesn't catch my eye now at all unless I'm on the DC under it.

Is this the skyline view you're talking about? https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.287968,-9.004393&spn=0.006337,0.016512&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.287968,-9.004393&panoid=B7II082QrESTODj8sn5Sbg&cbp=12,353.96,,0,0

Seriously, if a wind turbine sticking up behind/over that commercial premises skyline view is a problem its a wonder anything ever gets built in this country. Talk about mountains and molehills!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I like it. It makes me want Supermacs... and endorse renewable sources of energy.

Win - Win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

There is one in GMIT as well

Zzippy wrote: »
    Is this the skyline view you're talking about? https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.287968,-9.004393&spn=0.006337,0.016512&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.287968,-9.004393&panoid=B7II082QrESTODj8sn5Sbg&cbp=12,353.96,,0,0

Seriously, if a wind turbine sticking up behind/over that commercial premises skyline view is a problem its a wonder anything ever gets built in this country. Talk about mountains and molehills!

No.

More like this one.
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.28666,-9.002781&spn=0.000013,0.006727&t=h&layer=c&cbll=53.28661,-9.002722&panoid=gYLkhwaEsqPu2PG7DCx7Gw&cbp=12,335.83,,0,-3.28&z=17

From here, you just get the sails sticking up over the horizon, and cannot see the pole that they're mounted on. Visually quite intrusive.

No.

More like this one.
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.28666,-9.002781&spn=0.000013,0.006727&t=h&layer=c&cbll=53.28661,-9.002722&panoid=gYLkhwaEsqPu2PG7DCx7Gw&cbp=12,335.83,,0,-3.28&z=17

From here, you just get the sails sticking up over the horizon, and cannot see the pole that they're mounted on. Visually quite intrusive.

Seriously? I mean, seriously??? :confused:

Turns out that Supermacs don't have permission for the structure..Go figure.
    They've applied for planning retention in the name of Atlantic Enterprises Ltd http://gis.galwaycity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=1368

Supermacs have also applied to retain a bored water well at the same site. Is that where they get the Supermacs water from?
    http://gis.galwaycity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=1390

So now you know how to do it, you just stick a wind turbine in the back garden and apply for retention afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Supermacs have also applied to retain a bored water well at the same site.

I'm sorry but this is all I could think of when I read this...

waterwell1copy.jpg

Apologies for crudeness of work. It is Easter and there are eggs to eat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It wouldn't surprise me if the locals complained just for the sake of complaining. In 20 years time if they decided it was redundant and wanted to take it down again you'd probably have the very same people complaining that it's part of the skyline now and it can't be taken down like that nonsense with the Chimney stacks in Dublin.

Irish people should be forced to wallow in their own muck for 5 years and then see if how many objections they have to modern services being erected. There seems to be a new sign put up saying no to something every time I pass through Tuam.

So now you know how to do it, you just stick a wind turbine in the back garden and apply for retention afterwards.
    Retention permision for wind turbine granted

Retention permision for wind turbine granted

And the listless well?

And the listless well?
    Pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'm pro Wind turbines myself but I'm not sure about that decision. It does seem out of character in the particular location.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'm pro Wind turbines myself but I'm not sure about that decision. It does seem out of character in the particular location.
    I think its great, they can fill every town and cities industrial zones in the country with them as far as Im concerned, especially when they're building them in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

I'm anti wind turbines generally. They are probably one of the biggest scams there is, not nearly as energy efficient as they were supposed to be and a blight on the countryside. They're a blind alley in energy production.

On the other hand the I'm fine with the Supermac turbine. It's in an industrial estate beside a main road across from another industrial estate. The place is a visual mess. The turbine looks fine there. Nobody lives near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

folbotcar wrote: »
    I'm anti wind turbines generally. They are probably one of the biggest scams there is, not nearly as energy efficient as they were supposed to be and a blight on the countryside. They're a blind alley in energy production.

On the other hand the I'm fine with the Supermac turbine. It's in an industrial estate beside a main road across from another industrial estate. The place is a visual mess. The turbine looks fine there. Nobody lives near it.

I think you need to look again, it's about 100m from a streets full of houses in Castle Park.

ratracer wrote: »
    I think you need to look again, it's about 100m from a streets full of houses in Castle Park.

and it looks like it's less than 5m higher than the surrounding buildings

Lots of guff for something that is not nearly as visually obtrusive as say the Derrybrien windfarm, whose turbines can be seen from the prom on a clear day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

antoobrien wrote: »
    and it looks like it's less than 5m higher than the surrounding buildings

Lots of guff for something that is not nearly as visually obtrusive as say the Derrybrien windfarm, whose turbines can be seen from the prom on a clear day.

I'm not sure I'm taking the context of 'lots of guff' correctly, but if it's in relation to my post, which you've quoted, I responded to a post that said the Supermacs turbine is in the middle of an industrial estate and not near where anyone lives, which is wrong, unless the residents of Castle Park don't count. That is all, a simple correction to a post. I didn't claim any rights or wrongs of the location, planning issues ar any other 'guff'.

Advertisement