Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John grant , Vicar street,change from seating to standing

Options
  • 20-03-2013 9:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭

Booked tickets for john grant at vicar street in may when they were first on sale. Got good tickets on a table not far from front. Today received a text from ticketmaster that gig is now standing only.
    Why have they done this?
    The music he plays is slow,low key and suits a seated arena.
    Would the artist have changed this or the venue?

I don't want to stand so where are the best seats at the back or side?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bos

I have to say I was really surprised (and annoyed, since I had really good seats). It's definitely the kind of music that suits seating. The e-mail said:

"There will be limited unreserved seating as per all standing shows at Vicar Street but you will not be guaranteed a seat, they will be allocated on a first come first served basis."

but I assume that means down the back and at the sides?

Pretty shoddy, if you ask me! I was at Rufus Wainwright's gig at the same venue last year and that changed from standing to 'unreserved seating' downstairs. Do they make these changes a lot for Vicar Street???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I was there for Rodrieguez when they changed it from standing to unreserved seating and it was total mayhem. Probably popular demand meant that they could sell more tickets for this gig. Gets more people in and its less hassle than changing the venue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

marwelie wrote: »
    Probably popular demand meant that they could sell more tickets for this gig. Gets more people in and its less hassle than changing the venue.

This is spot on. I think it's a very cynical move, especially as his music is very much for a "seated" crowd, as the OP stated. Usually in Vicar Street, they change shows from ground floor standing to ground floor tables if the show has failed to sell, but I've never known them to do it the other way round in an effort to get more numbers in. It seems a shame. I'll just stand, as I don't want to watch the show from the unreserved seats at the back and sides, but I'm not happy about it.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 P28c

Like you guy's my experience of John Grant has usually been seated....that is until I saw him play Pale Green Ghosts at Heaven in London...that was all standing and to be honest it wouldn't have worked if it were seated.
    My guess is that John has probably requested standing as it completely suited the show, the band and lighting...it's not just him and a piano anymore !
    Looking forward to Vicar St !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 roller6666

John grant plays a fully seated 3pm 5 may show at the kilkenny roots festival in the 350 seater watergate theatre.tickets from www.kilkennyroots.com

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭ponceprhea

Just got an email from ticketmaster that the gig has reverted to full seating again, excellent!!

Delighted. Thanks for that.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Bet you itll be first come first served for the seats, organised chaos....

Yeah. I'm guessing they'll just treat this as if it was always due to be standing, and now the tables will be just done on a first come, first served basis. But the seats on the side were initially allocated, then technically "unreserved", and could now effectively be allocated again. Hmmm... some people may only be sixty-five percent happy with this.

The text said
    'the john grant event at vicar street has reverted to its original fully seated format. Your tickets are valid for the table number printed on them'

So, it is fully seated with tables. I checked ticketmaster for more tickets today and the best seats left were at the back block so all tables must be booked already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 IntoYourSister

Any idea of stage times for this tonight?

Support act?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭garvm

John Grant 9.20pm / Liza Flume (http://t.co/UBH02rG326) 8.30pm

Almost 85% happy to be going to this gig

• Registered Users Posts: 43 IntoYourSister

garvm wrote: »
    John Grant 9.20pm / Liza Flume (http://t.co/UBH02rG326) 8.30pm

Much obliged!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Incredible gig by John last night but despite having a great seat I think it would have been better standing. His new electro-pop beats the hind legs off the likes of Ellie Goulding et al and he should be playing to a younger crowd.

Incredible gig by John last night but despite having a great seat I think it would have been better standing. His new electro-pop beats the hind legs off the likes of Ellie Goulding et al and he should be playing to a younger crowd.

It was a great gig and an appearance by mrs john grant was very welcome.

There was such a variation in music types that its difficult to choose between seating or standing as the best option. I did enjoy sitting at a table though as most gigs at vicar seem to be standing only.

The place would have been very sparsely filled if it was standing. Better to have him play to a "full"-looking seated audience than to a half-empty floor, which it would have appeared to be.
    My only grievance with the seated arrangement was the fact that I had to endure the relentless parade of bar and toilet-bound patrons. Ridiculous carry-on. Would it kill you to sit still for two hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

I met him after the gig. He said he'll be playing Electric Picnic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

The place would have been very sparsely filled if it was standing. Better to have him play to a "full"-looking seated audience than to a half-empty floor, which it would have appeared to be.
    My only grievance with the seated arrangement was the fact that I had to endure the relentless parade of bar and toilet-bound patrons. Ridiculous carry-on. Would it kill you to sit still for two hours?

Couldn't agree more, the endless barrage of plssers and barflys was a downer. Might not have been so obvious if it was standing.

Also felt that the sound was horrendous at times. Still Mr. Grant's talents shone through to make it a great gig overall.

I met him after the gig. He said he'll be playing Electric Picnic!

Brilliant. He played there 2 years ago but I missed the gig. A friend was raving about it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

ponceprhea wrote: »
    Brilliant. He played there 2 years ago but I missed the gig. A friend was raving about it though.

I saw him that time, actually saw him three times in 2011. :D

He was amazing at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Yeah, cause going to a gig and having a few drinks is so uncouth.

Advertisement