Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200 Watt Incandescent Bulbs?

Options
  • 20-03-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭

I do not think it was a good idea to withdraw from sale the traditional 200watt Incandescent Light Bulb.

Imagine an elderly person living alone, using the smallest room in the house, the kitchen maybe to keep warm in winter. A 200 watt incandescent bulb would produce an enormous amount of heat. Maybe some of the more scientific members here could say.

Of course the bulb would need to be fitted into a brass fitting, with the correct spec cable and then maybe plugged into a wall socket.

This is just a thought in this fuel poverty age, it may prevent people dieing of hypothermia.

P.S. Too many one size fits all laws from the EU. How can you make a law that takes no account of geographical location, for instance the same energy laws for Finland and the Canary Islands etc.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Not a very convincing argument to be honest.

It is best to use an electric heater for electric heat, not a 200 watt light bulb mounted above head height.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

im sure you can order them online. I have a 200w bulb in one of the sheds. Rarely used, so not worth switching to an "up warmer" or LED bulb.

EU ban is bad, a tax would have been a better idea than a complete ban. As long as the light is not recessed into the ceiling it's doing good to heat the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Try this calculator to determine the amount of heat required to heat average 27M3 room to just 18 degrees centigrade, assuming the 200 Watt bulb was about 3% efficient (being generous) that leaves about 194Watts of heat emitted. It would take a long time for it to have any beneficial effect in the room !

Ken

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Xenophile wrote: »
    I do not think it was a good idea to withdraw from sale the traditional 200watt Incandescent Light Bulb.

Imagine an elderly person living alone, using the smallest room in the house, the kitchen maybe to keep warm in winter. A 200 watt incandescent bulb would produce an enormous amount of heat. Maybe some of the more scientific members here could say.

Of course the bulb would need to be fitted into a brass fitting, with the correct spec cable and then maybe plugged into a wall socket.

This is just a thought in this fuel poverty age, it may prevent people dieing of hypothermia.

P.S. Too many one size fits all laws from the EU. How can you make a law that takes no account of geographical location, for instance the same energy laws for Finland and the Canary Islands etc.

Plenty of grants available and free schemes for an elderly person to get a house insulated to a higher spec and made cosier for them.

Also the fuel allowence scheme too.......(if its still actually going and not chopped up by FG/Labour)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

ZENER wrote: »
    Try this calculator to determine the amount of heat required to heat average 27M3 room to just 18 degrees centigrade, assuming the 200 Watt bulb was about 3% efficient (being generous) that leaves about 194Watts of heat emitted. It would take a long time for it to have any beneficial effect in the room !

Ken
    paddy147 wrote: »
    Plenty of grants available and free schemes for an elderly person to get a house insulated to a higher spec and made cosier for them.

Also the fuel allowence scheme too.......(if its still actually going and not chopped up by FG/Labour)

Firstly, I was not referring to an average size room. I had in mind a kitchen of about 15sq. meters, containing a stove and a television (which also generate a certain amount of heat)

A poster suggested an electric heater, probably the most expensive form of heating you can have. As regards grants for insulation etc, it is very hard for elderly people to change the habits of a lifetime, especially lonely people living on their own and have not the motivation because of ill health etc.

All through this winter I have been hearing stories in particular of old people living alone who freely admit that they cannot afford to heat their homes and go to department stores to try and keep warm.

I am sure that many young people on this site know of, or can call to mind grand parents or neigbours living in extreme fuel poverty.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Xenophile wrote: »
    I had in mind a kitchen of about 15sq. meters, containing a stove and a television (which also generate a certain amount of heat)

Think hard about this.
    If a room contains:
    1) A TV
    2) A 200 watt lamp
    3) A stove

Out of the 3 options above which is the best to heat a room with?

A poster suggested an electric heater, probably the most expensive form of heating you can have.

The heat generated per watt by an electric heater does not cost more than the heat generated from an electric lamp.
    The heater would have a higher rating so would not need to be on as much to generate the same amount of heat.
    I am sure that many young people on this site know of, or can call to mind grand parents or neigbours living in extreme fuel poverty.

Agreed, and on that positive note I think it is time to close this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement