Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James Herbert

Options
  • 20-03-2013 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Just saw on Sky News that James Herbert passed away this morning.

It made me think - a battered second hand copy of Rats was one of the first horror books that I read as a young fella and it also put me onto other great authors such as King and Koontz. I always thought his books were really good reads and I've seen his name recommended on a few threads as well...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

That's sad. I read a lot of his books. He was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I liked the few that I have read.

The Spear
    The Rats

I have The Secret of Crickley Hall on my shelf waiting to be read.

RIP James

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I was heart sorry to hear this, I've enjoyed many of his books. RIP Mr Herbert, a sad loss:(.
    I think these are all the ones I've read...
    Shrine
    The Rats
    Lair
    Domain
    The Magic Cottage
    Haunted
    Fluke
    Fog
    The Dark
    Creed
    The Secret of Crickley Hall
    Ash
    Once
    Others

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭cml387

I wouldn't have thought him a great writer, but he was certainly a guilty pleasure. Combine killer rats and a nuclear war and you have all bases covered, and when reading Domain for the first tme I was sort of dreading turning over the page.

RIP James.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭8mv

I hadn't heard he had died. Didn't read any of his recent books, but I was obsessed for a while in my teens / early 20's. The Rats, The Fog, etc. I really liked Fluke and gave it to my daughter to read as it's unlike most of his other books and has an interesting concept.

As I get older I see more and more of my early life appearing in the obituaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Was really sorry to hear of his passing. The Rats and its follow ups, were like so many others my gateway to horror novels. I hoovered up his, Clive Barker's and King's books as soon as they came out.

His books Others and Fluke are amoung my favorites, but I have a particular soft spot for Others.

Advertisement