Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best software for making videos??

• 20-03-2013 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi people,

After looking at videos on youtube of people doing their own music covers, I have noticed some people use different software for improving their voice. Some people take out white noise or tune their voice.
    What can you recommend as the best software? or what way do most people do it. It just sounds like it was done in a recording studio and not just sitting in front of a mic.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Moved from Singing and Vocals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

Sony vegas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

+1 vegas simply rules

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭crossy

Cheers guys.
    Just wondering is there anything you can recommend for a Mac also. I have access to both. I heard Logic Pro is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭auti

What question are you asking here? What is the best video editing software or what is the best audio editing software? The answer to both questions is nebulous - there is no 'best' (although people will argue 'till they're blue in the face that one software package beats all others).

The two people who recommended Sony Vegas have recommended top notch video editing suite that has limited (although useful) audio editing capabilities. Logic Pro on the other hand is an advanced Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) that offers no holds barred audio editing but no video editing functionality. If you are looking for video editing software for mac then Final Cut Pro is a good place to start but again, you will be back to having limited audio editing.

"It sounds like it was done in a recording studio and not just sitting in front of a mic." - I hate to point out the obvious but studios are simply rooms with mics :D The point is that you need to know what you are doing with the mic that will make all the difference.

If you want to record a video of yourself playing the guitar or some other instrument and singing and you want to get really good sounding audio then you will need to invest in an audio interface for your computer as well as a few half decent mics. You need to learn how to set them up correctly to capture the best quality sound (loads of help on youtube) and then record your video and audio simultaniously. Edit the audio in a DAW like Logic Pro, import it back into your video editor and there you go.

If you want to retune your vocal then Antares or Melodine are good but this will only work well if you have recorded your vocal without other instrumentation. The caveat when using autotune software is that sometimes it can take much longer to fiddle about with the software to achieve the perfect sounding take than it would be just to rerecord the song!!

When all is said and done though, to get a nice sounding recording, you will need a decent microphone set up in a nice sounding room. If you getting a load of white noise and you are singing out of tune then there is something fundamentally wrong with with your recording and you will be better off adjusting your microphone level and resinging the song.

• Advertisement

auti wrote: »
    What question are you asking here? What is the best video editing software or what is the best audio editing software? The answer to both questions is nebulous - there is no 'best' (although people will argue 'till they're blue in the face that one software package beats all others).

The two people who recommended Sony Vegas have recommended top notch video editing suite that has limited (although useful) audio editing capabilities. Logic Pro on the other hand is an advanced Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) that offers no holds barred audio editing but no video editing functionality. If you are looking for video editing software for mac then Final Cut Pro is a good place to start but again, you will be back to having limited audio editing.

"It sounds like it was done in a recording studio and not just sitting in front of a mic." - I hate to point out the obvious but studios are simply rooms with mics :D The point is that you need to know what you are doing with the mic that will make all the difference.

If you want to record a video of yourself playing the guitar or some other instrument and singing and you want to get really good sounding audio then you will need to invest in an audio interface for your computer as well as a few half decent mics. You need to learn how to set them up correctly to capture the best quality sound (loads of help on youtube) and then record your video and audio simultaniously. Edit the audio in a DAW like Logic Pro, import it back into your video editor and there you go.

If you want to retune your vocal then Antares or Melodine are good but this will only work well if you have recorded your vocal without other instrumentation. The caveat when using autotune software is that sometimes it can take much longer to fiddle about with the software to achieve the perfect sounding take than it would be just to rerecord the song!!

When all is said and done though, to get a nice sounding recording, you will need a decent microphone set up in a nice sounding room. If you getting a load of white noise and you are singing out of tune then there is something fundamentally wrong with with your recording and you will be better off adjusting your microphone level and resinging the song.

Hey thanks for your answer. Really helps.
    Basically I want to know if I am starting this I want to pick the best software from the start and not have to change to something half way.
    I have a sound room already with good sennheiser microphones. I have only used this stuff for my own personal use and want to share a bit of my music.
    I have a mac and windows system in the room. I also have a audio interface which gives my the option to add effects. Record guitar. At bass and drums. Its a Boss system. All my equipment is up to scratch. Just wondering now the best way to do it as I already have Logic Pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭auti

Right, if you have microphones, an audio interface and Logic Pro then you have pretty much all need right there (depending on how many inputs the interface has and how suited the mics are for the job). There are lots of good options for DAW software out there, not much between them all really, but Logic Pro would widely be considered among the better programms. Since you already have Logic then just stick with it and don't bother agonising further over the question :)

What exact interface are you using (Boss... what?)? What exact mics have you got (Sennheiser... what?)? What exactly will you be recording? How many instruments will you be recording at the same time?

auti wrote: »
    Right, if you have microphones, an audio interface and Logic Pro then you have pretty much all need right there (depending on how many inputs the interface has and how suited the mics are for the job). There are lots of good options for DAW software out there, not much between them all really, but Logic Pro would widely be considered among the better programms. Since you already have Logic then just stick with it and don't bother agonising further over the question :)

What exact interface are you using (Boss... what?)? What exact mics have you got (Sennheiser... what?)? What exactly will you be recording? How many instruments will you be recording at the same time?

I have a Boss BR 600. It has 2 mic inputs, 2 guitar inputs, Voice & Guitar Effects & Records 8 tracks on the one song. You can also record over and edit on it. The Microphones are Sennheiser E935. Decent enough like

Advertisement