If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Hi-Fi system questions - mostly Marantz

Options
  • 20-03-2013 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi..... first post in this section.

After much posturing, I'm considering my first high-end home hi-fi.

I've more or less settled on the following based on reviews and online research......

Marantz CD6004       CD Player
    Marantz ST6003       Tuner

Marantz PM6004       Amplifier
                                  or
    Marantz PM5004       Amplifier

KEF Q300                   Speakers
                                  or
    Monitor Audio RX1    Speakers  

1: is the amplifier necessary or is it overkill?
    2: the system is going into a room  11 ft x 12 ft
    3: Is it necessary or desirable to have the speakers on stands or on shelves for best results?

Any suggestions advice or recommendations regarding other peripherals, cables etc. appreciated. I'm inexperienced with this level of hi-fi.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Tippman,

Thanks for getting in touch, and apologies about the delay in getting back to you.

The amp is necessary, it's the heart of the system really.  All your sources will connect into it.

Marantz HiFi equipment is excellent so you're on the right path there.  I'd recommend the PM6004, CD6004, ST6003 and the Monitor Audio RX1s.  That would be a fantastic system right there. 

The 5004 is a good amp but a bit more basic.  With the CD6004 and the speakers you're looking at the 6004 is the way to go :)

On the speakers I'd go with the RX1s over the Kef's anyday.  Completely different sound in my opinion.  We've had the RX1s set up with that exact system in store and I couldn't fault it in anyway.  For the speakers I'd suggest stands if possible.

In regards to speaker cable you've got plenty of options.  With such a good system I wouldn't cut any corners.  I'll include pricing for decent speaker cable too.  Same idea with interconnectes between the amp, cd and tuner.  Again I'll include info below.

So what we can offer is:

Marantz PM6004
    Marantz CD6004
    Marantz ST6003
    Monitor Audio RX1 (standard finish)
    Delivery

£1,066.85

Or

£1,166.85 for the gloss finish in the RX1s

For speaker cable I'd look at the Chord Carnival cable priced at £5.99 per meter.  Check the link below for more info:

http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/mini-hi-fi-system-deals/pah01656 

For interconnects check out the Cambridge Audio 300 1ph - 1ph priced at £19.95.  Marantz include very basic phono cables with their equipment, it would be enough to get you started.  Well worth upgrading though.  Check the link below for more info:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/hi-fi-interconnects/cambridge-audio/aud300-1m/camb-aud300-1m

Hope the info above has helped.

Let me know what you think.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Thanks Chris.

That sounds pretty good alright.  I'll have a think about that set-up for a day or two.

John.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

tippman1 wrote: »
    Thanks Chris.

That sounds pretty good alright.  I'll have a think about that set-up for a day or two.

John.
    No worries Tippman1.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.