Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unusual pet names

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

My grandmother has a dog called coleen, when the dog is in heat, all the dogs from the neighborhood start showing up to do the deed. I think its hilarious as my grandmother knows the names of each of these dogs, but she assigns their owners surname to them, so I'll often hear about her complaining about how sandy montgomery and benji murphy were in the garden all night bothering the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

My goldfish is called Cuchulainn and he is huge, same like my Guinea pig Fionn. The other one is Grisu and not half the size.
    Oh and the sister of my dog is called Noodles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Know a guy who called his dog Deefer. Deefer Dog.

Is your friend's name Glen Hansard ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

My two sausage dogs are called Kusco and Barney. Maybe not the funniest names, but suits them perfectly! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

My grandmother has a dog called coleen, when the dog is in heat, all the dogs from the neighborhood start showing up to do the deed. I think its hilarious as my grandmother knows the names of each of these dogs, but she assigns their owners surname to them, so I'll often hear about her complaining about how sandy montgomery and benji murphy were in the garden all night bothering the dog.

HAHAAHAHAHA thats gas!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

HANK for the big dog. just short of the betting slips and blue overalls.

Trigger for the little one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

We'd a cat called "Puddy". (As in, "I tot I taw a puddy tat.")

We now have one called "Black Cat".

And another one called "Gobsh*te", because we couldn't think of a name, and he's a really stupid cat.

EDIT: Oh, we also had a Tomcat named Suzie for a few years, because we named him before we checked what sex he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jon_459

Cousin of mine in London had a bulldog called John - 'ello John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

spankysue wrote: »
    One of my friends had a cat called Kevin, just always thought it was an odd name for a cat, it belongs more to a 45 year old man.
    My friend had a dog called Keith. I always remember going to his house one day and his mother was outside the house screaming over at a green area after the dog, desperately shouting out "KEITH! KEITH!" and some passing woman stopping with a stunned concerned look on her face looking over at the green too, presumably thinking she was looking for a lost child, since there was nobody on the green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

My sister's neighbour has a cat called Fintan. Fintan's also a girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

My friend wanted a new big TV, his girlfriend wanted a puppy.
    She got her puppy, so he named him widescreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

My last dog was called Ernesto Watson but Ernie for short. Had previous dogs called Oscar, Byron, Rasta, Buffy, Cleo, Sandy and Cuddles down the years.

Had a cat called Wacko growing up coz he was a mad fecker. Then had 2 kittens that sadly died called Salem and Sabrina.

We had a rabbit called Mr T too.

A friend of mine used to have a goldfish called Fluff.

I used to have a pony as a child called Cassie. She lived on my grannies farm and one of my grannies friends was also called Cassie. One day while visiting my grannies house, my dad came running into the kitchen saying "Cassie is in the living room" we ran in panicking only to find it was my grannies mate not the pony. How we chortled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Friends neighbours dog was named The ultimate warrior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Ashen-Shugar - Golden Retriever known as Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jules_G

I have a lurcher called Lionel
    Springers called Sid and Stan
    Pointer called Duke (naff name but was already named when we got him)

My sister has 2 hens called Britney and Whitney, or Brit and Whit for short! She also has a little jack russel called Peter - he was already named at the rescue centre he came from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I had fish called Kelly, Michelle and Beyonce (this was back in the day...!) but Beyonce went belly up, so I changed the remaining two to Sharon and Ozzy because they were black and orange goldfish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

A friend of mine had a pup they got from a guy whos surname was Keville. Being imaginative they named the dog Keville. That worked well until the guy came to visit the family :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

l heard of a fella who had 2 cats...called them Sarah & John! :L:L:L

oh and l use to have 2 gold fish...Tommy & Gina ....named after Bon Jovi's Living on a prayer! "Tommy use to work on the dock.....Gina dreams of running away..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

"Hate"

This is my pet, Hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

5 one week old kittens., 'The All Blacks' for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

Dog called Herpes because he wont heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

My mother called our cat Moonshadow because of the Cat Stevens song play when we got her. We just call her Shadow though.

My dad, however, calls the cat Mrs. Ryan or Mary if she's narky. Which is all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Know a guy who called his dog Deefer. Deefer Dog.

Do you know me?? My dog's name is Deefor (except I use 'or' instead of 'er'). It's fun explaining it to kids.
    A for Apple, B for Bog, C for Cat and Deefor Dog!! :D

The funniest one I remember is Data in Star Trek calling his cat Spot. Legendary.

OOoh, I almost forgot, we had a dog when we were kids that my mum named Lirpa. We got him in April, so mum turned April around to Lirpa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I had a cat called The Bom Diggity. Sneaky little fúcker he was too, he'd appear out of nowhere and disappear as fast.

A car drove over him once and not a scratch except for the car as yer man swerved then hit a wall taking a wing off his car. The Bom Diggity casually up and disapeared like nothing happened leaving the driver scratching his head looking for someone or something to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

My sister's neighbour has a cat called Fintan. Fintan's also a girl.

My Nanny has a cat called Lily. Lily turned out to be a boy. My sister and I call her Lily Savage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Some liverpool players had a race horse they called "Somehorse" they did it so they could hear a race commentator say " somehorse is coming up on the outside "or words to that effect,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Some liverpool players had a race horse they called "Somehorse" they did it so they could hear a race commentator say " somehorse is coming up on the outside "or words to that effect,,

A friend of mine once said that if he ever bought a race horse he'd call it 'whoever wins' so he could go into a bookies and put 20quid on 'whoever wins'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

My dogs registered name is Squire Jack which isn't too bad but we call him Duke because my nephew wanted to name him after his teddy so he would have 2 Dukes.

We also had a Jack Russell called Penny and another Labrador called Ben. Penny got her name because she didn't cost us a Penny and Ben was named after the Michael Jackson song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My cousin had a hamster called Zippy Lightbulb when she was a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Had a goldfish that was given to me because he eat all my mam's fish and he grew 4-5 times the normal size and I called him jaws! He was hand tame

Had a hamster called jingles he was a nut job always makin noise never slowed down and would eat anyone who put there had in except mine! He bullied my cats who used to sit watching him he bit there paws and tails course they never learned from this kept goin back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We currently have 4 cats.
    The oldest one I got when I was still living on my own... I was good friends with a colleague at work who had just split up with her BF at the time. One morning going to work I told her about a dream I had that night that we were renting a house together, and had a cat called "Rakete" (German for "rocket").
    We did the sums, found we could save money sharing a place, found a place and got the cat from the animal shelter.
    And named her Rakete, obviously.

The other ones we have are strays that showed up at the back door one after the other. A black and white fellow we named Sylvester, a ginger called Puss in Boots or Boots for short, and the youngest, a little black cat we named Banshee because she sat at the back door screaming one day.

I also once knew a hamster called Rambo and a cat named Adolf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I've two guinea pigs called Mauricio Shogun Rua and Fabricio Werdum. Fabricio is a bit bigger and Mauricio is a bit more aggressive. I've hamsters called Ronda and Royce as well but I can't tell them apart so they usually just get called "hello, you".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Growing up I played on a sports team with a guy who called his dog "Disease"......his nickname was "Muck Eye"......

Also as a child/teen a neighbour had a Dalmatian he imaginatively named "Spot".

My own two Westies are named Butters (from South Park) and Suki so you can see where my boards username comes from. I was going to call him "Awesomo" (also from South Park) but Butters suits him much better. His pedigree name is Aughnasilla Pride, but his dad's name is Burneze the Performer of Royal County Down or something like that! Suki is a rescue, but we were tempted to call her "Luna", short for lunatic - which would have actually been very appropriate.

Also had foster Westies we called Foo Foo, Bainne, Furio, Coco and Chuy.

A friend called her cat "Britney Spears" and never says just "Britney", it's always "Britney Spears".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My grans cat is called Spooky Arthur.

I have a pet called Phoenix, Phoe for short (pronounced fee). Nice little girly name for a cat or something. Nope, Phoe is a male staffordshire. It suits him though, he's a sweetie and deserves a soft name like that.

My other dog is called Harley, we couldn't decide on his name and were visiting a friend who gave us a little dog hat with "Harley Davidson" written on it. So it stuck.

Growing up we had a black lurcher called Bimbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I knew a guy that had a black lab and called him Worf because he was black and head of security. Co-incidentally, when he'd run off and you'd have to call after him you'd end up speaking Dog; Worf! Worf! Worrrf!!!

My friends neighbour has a Great Dane called Hamlet, and when my friend was getting a new puppy I begged her to keep the Shakespeare theme going because her mam's maiden name was Montague but she wouldn't. Devastated!!

A cat we used to have - Thelittlemanfrommexico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

i had a fish called wanda:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

My boys since they were young nickednamed our dog things like Bum and Fo. The youngest when he first went on FB put up a status - 'I love Bum'. He's lucky I saw it and deleted it before any of his friends copped it. :D:D

• Advertisement

Our local vet is called J. Russell. I always thought it was Jack Russell and would have a quiet chuckle everytime I seen his name. Only recently I found out his name was John :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

There was a dog on my road when we were young called 'HereBoy' by all the local kids , its owner used called it Sam , eventually its owner called it 'HereBoy'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Our cats are called Colin, Margaret and Donal. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

I had two terrapins that I called Headbanger and Clotheshanger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I had a mate with a dog called Deefer

as in Deefer dog......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I had a mate with a dog called Deefer

as in Deefer dog......

I like that song too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I like when pets have people names. My dogs name is Doug. Nothing too unusual or funny about that though.
    But I used to know a guy who had a budgie called Derek. I thought that was hilarious at the time.

Swear to God, I once had a budgie called Derek. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

ken wrote: »
    Our cats name is Lucyfur.

Aww!! I think....

My cat's name is Mouse. My mouse is called Marcus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I had a cat called Mogadon. It's a medicine to treat insomnia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Had 2 kittens called Kathleen and Christopher...

Lovely little things, both ran away...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

I have a dog named tipsy and a female cat named fabio

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement