Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing flats and what are you wearing ?

Options
  • 21-03-2013 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to start a thread on this as so many choices on the market now.

I am currently wearing the Mizuno Universe (104 grams) and as you can see very light but responsive for such a light show.

Other favourites are the Adidas Haggio(wide in the toe box especially for an adidas show)

I am still looking for a flat for a half marathon later int he summer that is a little heavier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

The only flats I have any experience with are the Adidas Adizero's Adios 2's. I find they quite good for most distances, although I find them a little stiff and can rub when you go up to a longer distance. My brother bought a pair of Saucony grid type a5's (off you I think) and I've tried them once and really like them so think I will go with a pair of them next. Also have a pair of Kinvara's that I use for some longer sessions and speedwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Just wanted to start a thread on this as so many choices on the market now.

I am currently wearing the Mizuno Universe (104 grams) and as you can see very light but responsive for such a light show.

Other favourites are the Adidas Haggio(wide in the toe box especially for an adidas show)

I am still looking for a flat for a half marathon later int he summer that is a little heavier.

Crikey that's light; I race in the Nike Lunaracers, which weigh about 170g, because they have a surprising amount of cushioning for such a light shoe; I think they are pretty much ideal for a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I thought I was going light with the Asics Hyperspeed, they're 198 grams. I've only worn them in a couple of races, but I'm very pleased with them. They feel very responsive, but never felt any pain or discomfort with them. I didn't do any gait analysis, just bought them. I'll probably use them for up to 10k.

I'm still using Mizuno Elixir for half marathon, marathon and the majority of my training. It's 270g, but an excellent shoe, plenty of cushioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Newbie Question :

Guys I am using Mizuno Musha's for all training and racing. These weigh 220 grams. Is it preferable to use a heavier/more cushioning shoe for my day to day training?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Still using the Adi Pro 4's (180gms actual sz10) up to 5 mls, but they are due an upgrade, find them a bit too narrow to go longer.
    Using the ST5's for longer, but these feel a little too elevated after transitioning alot of training runs to the Inov-8 X-255 (9mm), X-233 (6mm) and TR-245 (3mm), but I won't change before the marathon.
    Open to suggestions on changing both, so will keep an eye on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

statss wrote: »
    Newbie Question :

Guys I am using Mizuno Musha's for all training and racing. These weigh 220 grams. Is it preferable to use a heavier/more cushioning shoe for my day to day training?

Not necessarily, maybe a more durable shoe. But if you're getting decent life from them I wouldn't change.

OT I've just gone from using the Mizuno Elixir as a racer to the Saucony Fastwitch and I love it. Relatively light, fast and with a bit of cushioning and only 4mm drop. Definitely helped with a recent half marathon PB :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Not necessarily, maybe a more durable shoe. But if you're getting decent life from them I wouldn't change.

Cool, thanks. Love the shoe but a hole has appeared in the toe netting after 300 miles so I wouldn't exactly call them durable so may look at the Elixir next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Have one pair of racing flats (Asics Piranha Sp3) which I've just started wearing regularly in the past two months for intervals and track sessions.

I'd sometimes cover up to 11-12 miles in them between warm-up, session and cool-down. Not sure how durable they'd be but worth looking at.

They weigh 138g and they feel FAST - can't believe you can go so much lighter!!

Will definitely check out the Mizuno Universe. Might use them for track stuff.

Edit: turns out there's an SP4, which weighs 120g.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Saucony Type A5 for me, and I'll be buying a new pair of the same in the next two months. However I don't run marathons, I have run two halfs in them, but mostly 10&5ks. Fast, light, and very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Interesting thread, as I think I've yet to find my ideal marathon shoe. Ran with the Kinvara3 in Dublin, and will probably do the same for London in 5 weeks time. I have a pair of Mushas, but I never really got on with them, and would only consider them for 5k-10 miles.

BTH: What are the Saucony Type A5 like? If you've worn Kinvaras, how would they compare in terms of cushioning/fit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

BTH: What are the Saucony Type A5 like? If you've worn Kinvaras, how would they compare in terms of cushioning/fit?

There'd be a good bit less cushioning, and they feel noticeable lighter. I'm on my third pair of Kinvara so I've worn them the odd time :rolleyes: :D. A5s definitely hurt the calves quite a bit the first time I raced in them last year, and again this week as I hadn't run hard in 6 months. But I wore them all last summer and loved them. They do still have a bit of cushioning to them that your feet aren't completely destroyed, and I don't wear socks with them so I'd have noticed if they were too firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Still using the Adi Pro 4's (180gms actual sz10) up to 5 mls, but they are due an upgrade, find them a bit too narrow to go longer.
    Using the ST5's for longer, but these feel a little too elevated after transitioning alot of training runs to the Inov-8 X-255 (9mm), X-233 (6mm) and TR-245 (3mm), but I won't change before the marathon.
    Open to suggestions on changing both, so will keep an eye on this thread.

You've a similar lineup to me, except I just have inov8 alone. I use the 233 for races up to half marathon, 255 for weekend long runs, and also have the trailroc 245s.

Will be getting the new road-x-treme 178 when Sean gets them in AKW. they're 3mm drop & will use them for track sessions, then 5 & 8 k races. Probably move to them for 10k too.

They have a 138, zero drop in the new range, might consider them in 6-9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Crikey that's light; I race in the Nike Lunaracers, which weigh about 170g, because they have a surprising amount of cushioning for such a light shoe; I think they are pretty much ideal for a marathon.
    Could mean 3 or 4 places in a 10 mile race :D

I wear asics ds racers which are 225 grams. looks like I will be going lighter next time :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'd run all day every day in Nike Lunarracers if I could. By far in a way my favourite racers and training shoes but I always feel I am wasting them by using them in standard long or easy runs. Have also used Kinvaras, Mushas and Green Silence in the past but have gone off them all as I prefer the bounciness of the Lunarlon on Tarmac.

So having spotted them in Lifestyles a few weeks ago, i recently ordered a few pairs of Nike Lunarspeeds. They are a really lovely hybrid shoe, a light trainer or long distance racer (230gm).
    Loving the feel of them I have to say, nice and roomy in the forefoot too. One of the downpoints of the Lunarracers are a bit tight so I am prone to the odd blister in them but the Lunarspeeds are blister free so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

The most I have ventured with racing flats was the Asics Hyperspeed which are just under 200grams - they are light but I dont think they are as responsive as I would like.

Anyone know what responsive/cushioned, bouncy feeling racing flats are out there?

nellocono wrote: »
    Anyone know what responsive/cushioned, bouncy feeling racing flats are out there?

Lunarracers are very responsive/bouncy/cushioned and weigh about 180gms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Have you moved onto the current versions? I just want to see if the sizing is the same as previously before I get the lads in AK to order me in a new pair.

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Have you moved onto the current versions? I just want to see if the sizing is the same as previously before I get the lads in AK to order me in a new pair.

I bought my latest pair about a year ago, I use them sparingly and only have about 250 miles on them. If I remember correctly they are version 3, which is pretty much the same as version 1 as far as I understand; version 2 was different but badly received (I never wore them so can't say) so they more or less went back to the original.

Btw, I have even used Lunaracers in a 50 mile race and was very happy with them.
    rom wrote: »
    Could mean 3 or 4 places in a 10 mile race :D:

Sure, just keep rubbing it in you cheeky little so and so ... :mad: :rolleyes: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I bought my latest pair about a year ago, I use them sparingly and only have about 250 miles on them. If I remember correctly they are version 3, which is pretty much the same as version 1 as far as I understand; version 2 was different but badly received (I never wore them so can't say) so they more or less went back to the original.

Btw, I have even used Lunaracers in a 50 mile race and was very happy with them.

They are my marathon shoe now but I've also been using them for most training runs so have been going through them quickly... If you're keeping them for races, what are you training in?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do the lunaracers not cut into your achilles? I wanted to wear mine in Mallow but I need to bandage myself up before putting them on. Even to walk in! :(

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    They are my marathon shoe now but I've also been using them for most training runs so have been going through them quickly... If you're keeping them for races, what are you training in?

Brooks Green Silence and Saucony Kinvara at the moment, though I'm not picky. I've used plenty of lightweight trainers in the last couple of years (e.g. Nike Lunar Elite, Adidas Ace) and was happy with almost all of them.

Do the lunaracers not cut into your achilles? I wanted to wear mine in Mallow but I need to bandage myself up before putting them on. Even to walk in! :(

I've heard that complaint about the lunaracers from quite a few people, but I never had any trouble whatsoever. I guess the only way to find out is to try them out.

Sometimes they cut for the first week or so. If you stand on the heel a few times to 'break them in' then they don't do any damage at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nah mine are about 3 years old and probably have a good 350 miles plus on them. I usually just wear compeed but wore them for three miles last sat without it and they cut into me. Yee must have fatty ankles to protect ya! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

Signed up to the forum just to say...Lunaracers. By far my favourite shoe, just bought the newest release and again are perfect, 1 race - 1pb so far! Exact same feel/fit as the last release but are noticeably lighter if thats possible. Great shoe for speed, tempo, race (long and short distance) basically everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

menoscemo wrote: »
    Lunarracers are very responsive/bouncy/cushioned and weigh about 180gms

What is a "responsive" running shoe? Seriously? :confused:
    Adjective
    Reacting quickly and positively.
    Responding readily and with interest or enthusiasm

I have seen the description used before (usually with racing flats) but did not associate it with bouncy/cushioned.

I have a pair of Brooks T5's that I got in an end-of-line sale. They weigh-in at about 170g, not much cushioning but they respond quickly and positively when I move them :P. Used for races up to 10K and more recently tempo runs.

dna_leri wrote: »
    If you point 'em left, they go left. If you point 'em right, they go right. If you point them left very quickly, they turn left very quickly. Definitely worth an extra few quid. :)

dna_leri wrote: »

I was just quoting the adjectives the previous poster used. Given that he used responsive in conjunction with boucy/cushioned I assume he meant that they have some 'give' to them. I have always found asics and brooks to be a little 'dull' and stiff on impact with the ground. With the Lunarracers even on hard concrete it still feels like you are running on a soft surface and the shoes are not at all stiff. If that's not what responsive means in a dictionary then meh...

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

Has anyone had any problems changing from a support shoe such as asics 2160 to a racing flat.I am interested in a lighter shoe but just wondering can I do without the support. Have done a fair few marathons and looking for any help I can get in reducing my times.

• Advertisement

plumber77 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any problems changing from a support shoe such as asics 2160 to a racing flat.I am interested in a lighter shoe but just wondering can I do without the support. Have done a fair few marathons and looking for any help I can get in reducing my times.
    Some runners (Meno, RQ and TFBubendorfer spring to mind) can run all day, every day in a racing shoe, but for most of the rest of us, racing shoes are a racing accessory. So not really something you change over to, but rather something you get used to.

Advertisement