Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with the new parkway shopping centre?

• 21-03-2013 1:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Last I heard an investor from the Middle East had bought it and the retail park beside it, where currys, home base etc. are. But I have heard nothing since, any news on the place?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Speculation no doubt. Bought it, renewed the planning permission and is sitting on it till the value goes up and then flip it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Was there not some problems with getting planning permission renewed?

Can clearly remember Cllr Jimmy Long publically opposing the project on the local radio and through the local papers. Lots of talk about how it would damage the city centre. Thankfully since then all the other city centre projects that cllr Jimmy Long and a few of his political colleagues spoke of as being almost sure things have all happened and given lots of new jobs to the city......oh wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Kess73 wrote: »
    Was there not some problems with getting planning permission renewed?

Can clearly remember Cllr Jimmy Long publically opposing the project on the local radio and through the local papers. Lots of talk about how it would damage the city centre. Thankfully since then all the other city centre projects that cllr Jimmy Long and a few of his political colleagues spoke of as being almost sure things have all happened and given lots of new jobs to the city......oh wait.

I just did a bit of digging around and found the most recent article I could about it.

http://m.limerickleader.ie/news/business/local-business/developer-of-limerick-s-parkway-valley-seeks-to-widen-access-roads-1-3964548

According to this planning was given for another five years. I don't really care what they do with it as long as they do something, even if that is to knock it to the ground, the bloody thing is such an eyesore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I just did a bit of digging around and found the most recent article I could about it.

http://m.limerickleader.ie/news/business/local-business/developer-of-limerick-s-parkway-valley-seeks-to-widen-access-roads-1-3964548

According to this planning was given for another five years. I don't really care what they do with it as long as they do something, even if that is to knock it to the ground, the bloody thing is such an eyesore.

Good to hear that a local councillor, cllr Scully in this case, hopes that the venture would be a commercial failure if it every starts, and that the city has twice as many shops as it needs. Guess every closure within the city limits must be seen as a good thing by him as it would be reducing the number that he thinks is already too high. :rolleyes:

I would love to hear what his suggestions are to improve the city centre, given he is in a position to have some influence in what direction the city goes in, if half the current number of shops is what all he thinks should be in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Given the amount of empty units in existing shopping centres/retail parks I cannot see this development getting off the ground anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Chances are, given that the concrete "towers" have remained open to the elements for the past number of years, the whole place will have to be knocked before anything can be done to it.

Advertisement