Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 ireland iphone blacklist

• 21-03-2013 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

After a few calls to 3(THREE) and popping in their shop a few times for NO SERVICE i find out i just bought a ..Blacklisted Iphone 4s off a very good lad:mad:all a shock since it was in the box and almost unused:rolleyes:
    since all is done and dusted now and the moaning time passed,can t get the money back anyway i have tried to look for options from which factory unlocking by IMEI is excluded for 3 i see.Is it possible that after a normal unlock they can be used abroad?at least opens an option..
    Do anybody else have other ideeas or i ve just bought an almost brand new Ipod instead off an iphone?:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

3 will un-blacklist. Though only from the original owner if it was on their network. Worth asking the seller?

If not. Look for your money back. Very easy if you bought through paypal, you can open a dispute if the seller is being awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 luchi13

i would ask the seller but he is unavailable...can t get in touch with him like usual...i ve done the stupid thing of paying him in cash after i met him...i wish i was more cautios now and pay through paypal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Normal unlock, imei unlock?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this, all iPhone unlocks are requested from the network and the unlock comes through apples server/iTunes
    There are some companies which seem to be able to request this unlock without having to go through the network, the unlock will not go through if the phone was blacklisted and I've only ever seen them do O2 or Vodafone.

A gevey sim could be an option baseband/firmware dependent

If a phone is blacklisted it is technically stolen, it was blacklisted because it wasn't paid for, either insurance or unpaid contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

If you agree to buy a phone and have handed over the cash, the first call you must make is to your own network to get the imei assigned to your account. that way it makes it more difficult (if not impossible, though some disagree) for the previous owner to blacklist it after the fact.

if he's already blacklisted before the sale then the phone wont work anyway, and you wont be buying it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

if he's already blacklisted before the sale then the phone wont work anyway, and you wont be buying it!
    I believe it takes around 15minutes for the network to recognise its blacklisted status so it'll work for those 15 minutes(Open to correction on that)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

The phone cannot and will not be removed from the blacklist by your network. Chinese shops remove the blacklist for roughly 50 or 60 quid. Otherwise you could sell it for 150 odd online. (Being honest about the blacklist, obviously.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

Prodigious wrote: »
    Chinese shops ...

Pretty sure that's illegal though. The blacklist is there for a very good reason that protects all phone users.

“Roll it back”

Yes, it is illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

The phone cannot and will not be removed from the blacklist by your network. Chinese shops remove the blacklist for roughly 50 or 60 quid. Otherwise you could sell it for 150 odd online. (Being honest about the blacklist, obviously.)

Just curious. How does the removal method work? Does it somehow make just the phone itself work (like an unlock) or do they somehow access the blacklist and actually fully remove the IMEI from the list?

AFAIK, they take the chip containing IMEI from a broken iPhone and replace the one in the blacklisted iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

AFAIK, they take the chip containing IMEI from a broken iPhone and replace the one in the blacklisted iPhone.
    I doubt there is anything as complicated as that. Surely it's as simple as removing the IMEI from the blacklisted register

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

If you agree to buy a phone and have handed over the cash, the first call you must make is to your own network to get the imei assigned to your account. that way it makes it more difficult (if not impossible, though some disagree) for the previous owner to blacklist it after the fact.

^ This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

If its blacklisted it wont work here, but it will work in other countries so pop it on ebay and sell for normal price.

guil wrote: »
    I doubt there is anything as complicated as that. Surely it's as simple as removing the IMEI from the blacklisted register

No, how would they have access to the blacklist?

For phones like Samsung Galaxy S2/3 the IMEI of the phone is just changed.

No, how would they have access to the blacklist?

For phones like Samsung Galaxy S2/3 the IMEI of the phone is just changed.
    Are you sure about them changing the imei? Years ago I lost a phone I had with and rang up to get it blacklisted and at the time I had to give them a password. If I found the phone they said to ring back up with the password and they would remove it from the blacklist so it must be possible

Phone companies might, but not the small shops. When insurance is claimed on a phone, it can never be removed from the blacklist.

Phone companies might, but not the small shops. When insurance is claimed on a phone, it can never be removed from the blacklist.
    Ah I thought you meant doing it legally. I think the imei has to be changed before its blacklisted or it won't work properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

the first call you must make is to your own network to get the imei assigned to your account. that way it makes it more difficult (if not impossible, though some disagree) for the previous owner to blacklist it after the fact.

Three won't do this under any circumstances. The IMEI will always be associated with the person who took out the contract originally. And only they can block/unblock it.

I understand O2 can do it though. But that's irrelevant in this case as it was a three handset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

just went through the same, my missus bought an iPhone 4 about a year and a half ago , worked perfect up until last weekend then all of a sudden it had No Service!! she rang 3 today they said it had been blacklisted! Didnt think it would happen after that long!! Not sure what to do now :mad: the iPhone is still in as new condition. What options does she have? i take it its these 3

-Gervy SIM
    Will the Gervy SIM work on it?

-Chinese shop IMEI change
    Most illegal route, but its an option?

-Sell abroad on eBay (honestly of course)
    Whats the going rate for a blacklisted Iphone 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

projectgtr wrote: »
    just went through the same, my missus bought an iPhone 4 about a year and a half ago , worked perfect up until last weekend then all of a sudden it had No Service!! she rang 3 today they said it had been blacklisted! Didnt think it would happen after that long!! Not sure what to do now :mad: the iPhone is still in as new condition. What options does she have? i take it its these 3

-Gervy SIM
    Will the Gervy SIM work on it?

-Chinese shop IMEI change
    Most illegal route, but its an option?

-Sell abroad on eBay (honestly of course)
    Whats the going rate for a blacklisted Iphone 4?

Just change network?

• Advertisement

Just change network?

the phone is locked to 3, now if this was an Android id have it Unlocked and sorted in minutes but im no good with apple products, is there a decent unlock available to network unlock the iphone 4? AFAIK 3 dont share their database with other carriers so if i can unlock it it can be used.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

projectgtr wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas?

Coild request from 3 why the phone was blacklisted...
    It might have been a mistake... Someone typed in an imei wrong.

If it was an unpaid for phone - well then its threes property and you could ask if there is some arangment you could make with them maybe?
    If its insurance fraud maybe there is someway you can prevent the insurance paying out?

If its stolen/fenced property, bad luck, maybe time to hand it in...

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

just a question, if the phone was actually stolen its possible it was black listed before the seller had there hands on it and in actual fact maybe they just duped you?

ozmo wrote: »
    Coild request from 3 why the phone was blacklisted...
    It might have been a mistake... Someone typed in an imei wrong.

If it was an unpaid for phone - well then its threes property and you could ask if there is some arangment you could make with them maybe?
    If its insurance fraud maybe there is someway you can prevent the insurance paying out?

If its stolen/fenced property, bad luck, maybe time to hand it in...
    3 will not divulge any info to any person other than the contract holder, i doubt it was stolen or an insurance job as i was bought over a year and a half ago, normally under both situations the phone would be blacklisted quite quickly, which leads me to think they stopped paying their bill.

So the only options i can see are to get it sorted in a chinese shop (new imei) , use a gervy SIM and use it on another network or sell it on ebay as blacklisted.

Either way 3 lose out as my girlfriend wants nothing to do with them now
    Larsso30 wrote: »
    just a question, if the phone was actually stolen its possible it was black listed before the seller had there hands on it and in actual fact maybe they just duped you?

Are you asking me? if so like i said above i doubt this was as the blacklist happened over a year and a half later.

Advertisement