Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Resident Requires UK credit check for Mortgage application

• 21-03-2013 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I am applying for a mortgage and have a problem, because I have a saving account in Northern Ireland (which is registered to a ROI address) the bank in question requires that I get a UK credit check.

This is where I have a problem, I have tried to find how to get one done but all the sites seem to require a UK address (which I don't have - I haven't lived in the UK) I have tried to contact a couple of them however it is impossible to get to speak to anyone.

Any advice on how to get the credit check report would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

thinkydink wrote: »
    I am applying for a mortgage and have a problem, because I have a saving account in Northern Ireland (which is registered to a ROI address) the bank in question requires that I get a UK credit check.

This is where I have a problem, I have tried to find how to get one done but all the sites seem to require a UK address (which I don't have - I haven't lived in the UK) I have tried to contact a couple of them however it is impossible to get to speak to anyone.

Any advice on how to get the credit check report would be much appreciated.

Can the UK bank where you hold your savings a-c not run one? Try Experian.ie or else go back to your lender and argue the point.. ( sounds like an AIB mtg application?)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thinkydink

sounds like an AIB mtg application?

yeah that is who it is.

I called experian Ireland as suggested and they say that as I don't have any addresses in the UK and the account is registered to a ROI address then they cant do a credit check as the check is based on name/address(es) - they suggested calling ICB to get their view - but they only have an automated line (cant talk to anyone).

Time to argue the line with AIB I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

thinkydink wrote: »
    yeah that is who it is.

I called experian Ireland as suggested and they say that as I don't have any addresses in the UK and the account is registered to a ROI address then they cant do a credit check as the check is based on name/address(es) - they suggested calling ICB to get their view - but they only have an automated line (cant talk to anyone).

Time to argue the line with AIB I guess.

You could ask your Bank in the North to provide a letter stating that you have no credit facilities with them and because you don't have a UK address it's not possible to run a credit check. That should help in your discussion with AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thinkydink

Hi

Just to further update this thread

I have been in contact with Experian Ireland as previously stated in an earlier post and they said that, as I don't have any addresses in the UK and the account is registered to a ROI address, then they cant do a credit check, as the check is based on name/address(es).

Then I called my bank in the north, as suggested to get there point of view, they said the same thing as Experian that without an address they cant do a check. They also said (which I thought was nice) that - "Your bank should know this - it would be part of their daily work".

Anyway, the bank in the North have since sent me a letter stating that you cant do a check without an address and that my account with them is registered to a southern address, then further to this that I'm a good client with a good record with them.

But by googling around and by conversations that I have had, this does seem to be a AIB issue - yes a credit check maybe in order but not in all cases as it would seem.

So as a side note to this - this may not be the case for all, it does appear that if you have had an address in the past few years then they may be able to perform the check based on that, but this isn't the case for me but may be for others reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 briginw

Sorry to resurrect an old post but am facing the same problem... Mine is that I am currently living in Ireland, and have done for a number of years, am applying for a mortgage and need to get a foreign credit report as I live in the UK for a few years. All the obvious sites I've tried need to be give my current contact details and address as UK which they're not.
    I'm sure there are countless people in the same situation so hope someone can point me in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭cocoa123

Me too. Just wondering if credit check is the procedure that bank itself supposed to do? Called to Experian.ie. They said experan do not do this for private customers, business only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Matts1980

Hi, just wondering did you ever get any follow up with this issue? I have the same issue where I'm trying to get a Irish mortgage (AIB) and they asked for a UK credit report but I don't have a current UK address?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Matts1980

Hi, just wondering did you ever get any follow up with this issue? I have the same issue where I'm trying to get a Irish mortgage (AIB) and they asked for a UK credit report but I don't have a current UK address?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement