Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a vote for SF a vote for FF and vice versa ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

As a person who has voted SF in the past I would think this has more to do with vote anyone but government parties, And as SF is the fourth largest party in the state and the only one in a lot of peoples mind to be an alternative to past governments its not that big of a surprise, In my opinion I would not be a bit surprised if SF & FF formed the next government here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

SF transfers will probably determine teh Meath by election. Why wouldn't Byrne ask for a preference, seems fairly common sense to me.

I can't see many SF voters transferring to FF though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

In any election, especially a bye-election, canvassers will seek preference votes from any quarter

SF used to have rather a stalinist approach to voting directions. That would not apply to any recent converts they have made

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Seems strange that Fianna Fail are publicly denouncing Sinn Fein at every opportunity and then turn around and ask for their support.

Here is Willie o Dea asking for the arrest of Gerry Adams only a few months ago.

http://www.firstpost.com/topic/person/gerry-adams-willie-odea-looses-the-head-in-limerick-video-I9B2_j8v288-5694-1.html

Just wondering if Gerry is now onboard with FF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

raymon wrote: »
    Seems strange that Fianna Fail are publicly denouncing Sinn Fein at every opportunity and then turn around and ask for their support.

Here is Willie o Dea asking for the arrest of Gerry Adams only a few months ago.

http://www.firstpost.com/topic/person/gerry-adams-willie-odea-looses-the-head-in-limerick-video-I9B2_j8v288-5694-1.html

Just wondering if Gerry is now onboard with FF

Doubt it, just another example of Sinn Fein putting party politics aside for the public good. I hate FF but if it's a straight choice between strengthening the government or strengthening the opposition I'll take the latter.
    With that said I'm not really comfortable with electoral pacts as a tactic, I'd prefer if SF just ran as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Doubt it, just another example of Sinn Fein putting party politics aside for the public good. I hate FF but if it's a straight choice between strengthening the government or strengthening the opposition I'll take the latter.
    With that said I'm not really comfortable with electoral pacts as a tactic, I'd prefer if SF just ran as normal.

The day any party In Ireland does that would be indeed a great day for this country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I don't get it, it doesn't look like there's any pact or any input from SF at all. It's just a FF candidate asking people to vote him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Its a cute move alright, but stange all the same.
    Shows how strong SF are becoming in a certain sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Thomas Byrne ( Bertie's man in Meath east) has asked for Sinn Fein voters to vote for him.

Is this sanctioned by Gerry and Martin McG ?

Or is it just a sneaky election ploy by Byrne

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fianna-fail-asks-for-sinn-fein-byelection-transfers-29143759.html

Any Sinn Fein voters care to comment ?

Presumably he's trying to capitalise on many republicans deep dislike for FG. However he seems to forget that there also exists a deep dislike for FF.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Not really sure what the big deal is to be honest, it is only natural at this stage of the campaign to start asking people for a preference vote if they have already committed their first preference. It is not only SF preferences FF are after, canvassers will be asking for a preference on the doors no matter what party the person is voting for as their first preference.

For the record, SF canvassers are asking for preferences off FF voters and so are FG. Anyone who has actually been involved in a campaign before will know that this is standard activity in the closing days of an election campaign.

• Advertisement

News just in.

Gerry Adams asks Sinn Fein voters not to vote for FF , or FG or Lab.

Good man Gerry , I don't like you but at least you stick to your guns ( no pun intended)

Thomas Byrne must look a bit silly now

In a statement, Mr Adams this afternoon said anyone voting for Sinn Fein candidate Darren O Rourke should not continue their preferences for Fianna Fail, Fine Gael or Labour.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gerry-adams-tells-sinn-fein-voters-not-to-transfer-to-fianna-fail-29146301.html

Just to provide a source....

Well that answers my OP , thanks everyone.

Note to Fianna Fail :
    To avoid looking like two faced insincere power hungry sleeveens , you should check next time if your members have called for the arrest of the leader of the other party before asking for their support.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

I suspect that there will be an SF/FG coalition before there will be one with Fianna Fail.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Doubt it, just another example of Sinn Fein putting party politics aside for the public good.
    Gerry Adams asks Sinn Fein voters not to vote for FF , or FG or Lab.
    I guess wee Gerry doesn't want any truck with that "public good" business after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

oscarBravo wrote: »

I guess wee Gerry doesn't want any truck with that "public good" business after all.
    It will do the public a lot more good to have another SF TD :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Another good reason not to vote for FF. They really have no shame and will do anything for power. I look forward to the next election when the FF candidate arrives at my door.

It will do the public a lot more good to have another SF TD :)

It may do in your parliament where they will spend the next 5 months or so squabbling over the right to let the unionist people walk down a road or two, but their complete lack of economic and general political nouse is of no use to us here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dani Pacheco

I don't ever really think that a SF FF coalition is viable in the near to midterm future.
    The concept of any SF X coalition scares me no end which makes the fact that it's so unlikely so much more pleasing.
    SF transfers will fly all over the place. None to FG obviously, but also not that many to FF.

I don't ever really think that a SF FF coalition is viable in the near to midterm future.
    The concept of any SF X coalition scares me no end which makes the fact that it's so unlikely so much more pleasing.
    SF transfers will fly all over the place. None to FG obviously, but also not that many to FF.

FF are just being clever bucks here as usual. They are pretending to play ball with SF to get the votes in but they know that entering into government with SF would turn a serious volume of voters away from them. FF voters tend to be middle aged and upwards, the same people who remember the pre-agreement SF.

SF transfers will go to the ULA people and independents who tailor their campaigns to the lower class 'entitled' mindset.

• Advertisement

COYW wrote: »

SF transfers will go to the ULA people and independents who tailor their campaigns to the lower class 'entitled' mindset.

Would you mind explaining what you mean by this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 invincibl3

Nodin wrote: »

Does it really need explaining Nodin? Someone has given us their small-minded prejudice dressed up as an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Its nice to expose such types, so, again, I'll push for an explanation of that statement.

Well, it's pretty obvious really! Those who vote for SF are of the hard left mindset. A core part of that mindset is that the government should provide housing, health and pretty much everything needed in ones life for free. Therefore, I consider these voters to be of the "entitled" mindset. The ULA and the left-wing independents also subscribe to this idea, so I believe the SF transfers will go to these candidates. As for the lower class aspect, everyone knows that SF have struggled to capture the middle and upper classes. The lower classes are their prime voter base.

Also, I need to correct the post I made earlier in relation to the FF candidate. I heard the interview over the weekend. He did not specifically request transfers for SF. He was asked about transfers and said he would be delighted to take transfers from any other party. I stand corrected on that.

Well, it's pretty obvious really! Those who vote for SF are of the hard left mindset. A core part of that mindset is that the government should provide housing, health and pretty much everything needed in ones life for free. Therefore, I consider these voters to be of the "entitled" mindset. .

Thats your assumption, your definitions and your pigeon-holing.
    The ULA and the left-wing independents also subscribe to this idea, so I believe the SF transfers will go to these candidates. As for the lower class aspect, everyone knows that SF have struggled to capture the middle and upper classes. The lower classes are their prime voter base. .

I have to say I'm unfamiliar with the term "lower class". Please, tell me what defines this grouping.

I have to say I'm unfamiliar with the term "lower class". Please, tell me what defines this grouping.

It refers to those in low paid, low skilled jobs and also those who are unemployed.

It refers to those in low paid, low skilled jobs and also those who are unemployed.

Really? Normally those people are referred to as "working class". While some might point out the common use of lower class as having no negative connotations, the tone of your posts would suggest something akin to class snobbery at work here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

"Everyone, Republican or otherwise has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small, no one is too old or too young"
    obviously when Bobby Sands said that famous quote he was refering to something else but you can apply this to your statement also.

and about the unemployed, many of whom are in fact highly skilled but because of the recession and certain sectors of employment collapsing they have found themselves unemployed. This is many cases shows they are a victim of circumstances rather than making a conscious decision to sit on the sofa all day.

If you're bashing Sinn Féin and other left wing parties for standing up for these people and these sectors of our country then there is something seriously wrong with you. Politics isn't just for people who aren't in the "lower class" as you call them, this is democracy and everyone regardless of their perceived social status all only have one vote. This is the type of snobbery that exists in yourself and also someone like FG's chairperson Charlie Flanagan who objected to SF TD's wearing an Easter Lily in the Dáil recently as a mark of respect for those who gave their lives for Irish freedom.
    People with short memories....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Shows how little you know about Adams, he's over 6 feet tall :)
    invincibl3 wrote: »
    Does it really need explaining Nodin? Someone has given us their small-minded prejudice dressed up as an opinion.
    And that's why COYW is a moderator on boards.ie !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Dotsey wrote: »
    If you're bashing Sinn Féin and other left wing parties for standing up for these people and these sectors of our country then there is something seriously wrong with you. Politics isn't just for people who aren't in the "lower class" as you call them, this is democracy and everyone regardless of their perceived social status all only have one vote. This is the type of snobbery that exists in yourself and also someone like FG's chairperson Charlie Flanagan who objected to SF TD's wearing an Easter Lily in the Dáil recently as a mark of respect for those who gave their lives for Irish freedom.
    People with short memories....
    “Before my colleague begins, is it in order for members, particularly Deputy Stanley, to wear emblems of the type that he is now sporting in the chamber? It’s not only himself but his colleague, Deputy Colreavy, too. Some members of this House may find the wearing of such emblems offensive,” said Charlie, requesting a report from the Ceann Comhairle on the long standing rules regarding the wearing of emblems. And furthermore, he asked that the report be laid before the Dáil today. “I object to the wearing of the emblem by Sinn Féin Deputies in the manner which we now see.”

Interesting but typical of our Fine Gael West Brit friends. Flanagan didn't object to FG TD Frank Feighan wearing a poppy to 'honour' the army which carried out very many atrocities in Ireland - http://www.irishtimes.com/news/td-wears-poppy-in-d%C3%A1il-to-honour-dead-1.746966

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 invincibl3

Shows how little you know about Adams, he's over 6 feet tall :)

And that's why COYW is a moderator on boards.ie !!!!

Indeed, no doubt COYW styles himself as 'upper class' and as such dictating to the lower orders on this hallowed website is his birthright. To his credit, at least he is up front and honest about his prejudice's, other mods....not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Interesting that flannigan and stanley are both Laois/Offaly - case of bitchiness if you ask me

“Before my colleague begins, is it in order for members, particularly Deputy Stanley, to wear emblems of the type that he is now sporting in the chamber? It’s not only himself but his colleague, Deputy Colreavy, too. Some members of this House may find the wearing of such emblems offensive,” said Charlie, requesting a report from the Ceann Comhairle on the long standing rules regarding the wearing of emblems. And furthermore, he asked that the report be laid before the Dáil today. “I object to the wearing of the emblem by Sinn Féin Deputies in the manner which we now see.”

Interesting but typical of our Fine Gael West Brit friends. Flanagan didn't object to FG TD Frank Feighan wearing a poppy to 'honour' the army which carried out very many atrocities in Ireland - http://www.irishtimes.com/news/td-wears-poppy-in-d%C3%A1il-to-honour-dead-1.746966

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

nah SF and FF are very different parties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Both SF and FF are transfer toxic, so it makes sense for them to enter into local transfer agreements regardless of the national rhetoric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

He is a gob****e like his bigoted father.

• Advertisement
Advertisement