Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerstown Dump.

Options
  • 21-03-2013 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I went out to Powerstown dump yesterday and Ill be honest I got a big fright with what the charge to dump some rubbish.
    I had a car trailer got my ticket dumped of my rubbish and back to the weigh bridge and was asked for €120.00,could not believe the cost.
    I am not surprised that people are dumping on the side of roads and in our rivers at the prices the are charging.
    Its €120.00 a ton.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i normally find I can dump two months worth of rubbish for the standard 20 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Cobs wrote: »
    I went out to Powerstown dump yesterday and Ill be honest I got a big fright with what the charge to dump some rubbish.
    I had a car trailer got my ticket dumped of my rubbish and back to the weigh bridge and was asked for €120.00,could not believe the cost.
    I am not surprised that people are dumping on the side of roads and in our rivers at the prices the are charging.
    Its €120.00 a ton.

Did you make any sort of effort to find out the the charges beforehand?
    Any time I've been there (even a few weeks ago), there was always a big sign at the entrance to the weighbridge clearly stating the fees, and I think there's another one before that at the main entrance to the dump which also lists opening times.

Current rates are €170/tonne for commercial waste, €20/120kg for domestic (€166/tonne)

http://www.carlow.ie/ENVIRONMENT/Pages/waste-facilities.aspx

Was it all really waste, could you have recycled any of it for €2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I rang looking for the litter warden earlier only to be told he is out sick indefinitely. Along with this the council have still not moved on the travellers parked on the unopened road past the Éire Óg club, yet they can charge €166/tonne for a bit of rubbish which they won't even collect and then provide no services in the town.

In fairness, Powerstown is relatively cheap when you compare it against equivalent landfill sites in surrounding counties.

Gallows Hill, Athy = €223/tonne :eek:
    Dunmore, Kilkenny = €175/tonne
    Kyletalesha, Portlaois = €185/tonne (you need to register for a keyfob from the CoCo and put credit on it)
    (No info for co. wickla)

slimjimmc wrote: »
    In fairness, Powerstown is relatively cheap when you compare it against equivalent landfill sites in surrounding counties.

Gallows Hill, Athy = €223/tonne
    http://www.repak.ie/recycling_facility_detail.php?id=2621"
    €4.50 for car and trailer / van / 4×4.

• Advertisement

thats excellent - covers domestic waste too

though later on they say "Charges: The Centre operates a “Pay by Weight” system"

foggy_lad wrote: »
    http://www.repak.ie/recycling_facility_detail.php?id=2621"
    €4.50 for car and trailer / van / 4×4.

Read the rest of the link. :)
    Those are prices for recycling (which is €2/car at Powerstown), not for disposal of waste which is what the thread is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Bit off topic , but does anyone know of anyone or anywhere that takes scrap metal ?

Rather not have to put it in the landfill and the recycling centre doesnt, or so they informed me .

Cheers in advance

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Read the rest of the link. :)
    Those are prices for recycling (which is €2/car at Powerstown), not for disposal of waste which is what the thread is about.

domestic waste is listed under the 4.50 charge. though further on down it says it charges by weight like everywhere else so its a bit confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

Owryan wrote: »
    Bit off topic , but does anyone know of anyone or anywhere that takes scrap metal ?

Rather not have to put it in the landfill and the recycling centre doesnt, or so they informed me .

Cheers in advance

There are a crowd in Mountmellic called Wards, they would collect it from you
    Flynns out on the Tullow Road near Kernanstown also have a scrap yard.

Scrap is making good money at the moment so if you have some weight it should be worth a few bob

maccored wrote: »
    domestic waste is listed under the 4.50 charge. though further on down it says it charges by weight like everywhere else so its a bit confusing.

My take on it is that for normal householders they charge for a car or trailer but for businesses or companies/commercial users they charge by the tonne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

The landfill in Athy charges for entry by vehicle and the weight by tonne or part of, so its an entrance fee plus the weight of your rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Cobs

Molly's just outside Bunclody will buy all scrap metal and give you a good price.
    Bring it to Flynn's and the wont give anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

anybody know if dump is open tomorrow?

racso1975 wrote: »
    anybody know if dump is open tomorrow?

It closed.

See "Powerstown Easter Opening Hours 2013 (pdf 30kb)" on the Latest News section of Carlow Co. Co website.
    Powerstown Landfill and Recycling Centres
    Easter Opening Hours
    Powerstown Landfill and Recycling Centre and Kernanstown Bring Centre
    will be closed on Good Friday 29th March and Easter Saturday 30th March
    For more information please contact the Environment Section on 059
    9136231 or the Landfill Weighbridge 9172406.

Advertisement