Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First lathe

Options
  • 21-03-2013 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Any turners there? I'm thinking about jumping into the world of turning - I've done an evening class and really enjoyed it.

What are your thoughts on the first lathe? Something second hand (I've heard of a record 24x going for what seems like good money with a few tools and a chuck), or save a bit longer and get a new machine (Jet 1220 or something like that?).

Any thoughts welcomed, and thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Your best bet would be to find the local chapter of the Irish Woodturners Guild, http://www.irishwoodturnersguild.com and talk to the members. It's not just a matter of buying a lathe, you would need to know roughly what you wanted to turn on it. Most importantly you will need to learn how to sharpen the tools correctly and will need a grinder to do this. Turning is a very satisfying hobby if you start out with good information and access to people who can help you. I am a professional woodturner by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Good advice. I have an old Tyme Avon 48 " lathe and its basic but does what I need. Just to be aware lathes are designed for bowl or spindle turning or a mixture of both.The things I'd value are a 'throw' ( bed to spindle distance ) of 250mm at least, variable speed including reversing, a cam lock tool rest and a sliding outboard rest ( instead of bolting a rest on/off ) If you get a chance, a visit to one of the UK woodworking shows is very informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

sfakiaman wrote: »
    Your best bet would be to find the local chapter of the Irish Woodturners Guild, http://www.irishwoodturnersguild.com and talk to the members. It's not just a matter of buying a lathe, you would need to know roughly what you wanted to turn on it. Most importantly you will need to learn how to sharpen the tools correctly and will need a grinder to do this. Turning is a very satisfying hobby if you start out with good information and access to people who can help you. I am a professional woodturner by the way.

Thanks for reply! I think it's likely to be a mix of bowls and spindle turning - I've enjoyed both equally so far and think it's a bit early to have made up my mind about one over the other! In that case while I'd expect the first lathe to have many compromises anyway, smaller work of both types is what I'd have in mind for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Prenderb wrote: »
    Thanks for reply! I think it's likely to be a mix of bowls and spindle turning - I've enjoyed both equally so far and think it's a bit early to have made up my mind about one over the other! In that case while I'd expect the first lathe to have many compromises anyway, smaller work of both types is what I'd have in mind for the time being.

The thing is, you can't turn big bowls on a small lathe. Another thing to look for is a lathe where the headstock has a hollow spindle. Down the line, if you wanted to add a vacuum chuck you would have no problems. A good quality lathe will never lose it's value as woodturning is growing in popularity. Our Chapter has seen a huge increase in membership.

Advertisement