Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking alone at home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ah for fúcks sake...i'm an alcoholic now.

Most saturday nights i drink 1 perhaps 2 cans of bulmers after putting the kids to bed. I stopped drinking about 4 years ago but started back up recently taking the odd can.

Does anyone know where i can get help?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Vandekyrian

mfceiling wrote: »
    Does anyone know where i can get help?

from the local pub if posters here are to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

It's just a load of nonsense made up by those who can't relate to people who don't need a social setting to drink. You have a problem if you become dependent on alcohol - it doesn't matter where you imbibe it or if you are alone or with others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I rarely drink, but if I do, I do it alone

Hell, I do most everything on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as its not adversely affecting your life or relationships and you aren't dependant on it.

It can be a slippery slope for some people though, I know a number of people who gane either give down that road or are headed there, relax woth a few cans or whatever is what they tell themselves but eventually it becomes a far more regular thing,they go top shelf and it starts to affect their lives.

For instance I know one fella who has to have 6 cans of cider every night, and I mean every night, it means that his family has to go without things so that he can have his cans. I know other people who might not do it as regularly, maybe a couple of times a week but they can't stop, they have to get absolutely ****faced, and I mean ****faced.

I wouldn't really do it myself, I do drink on occasion, but really it wouldn't bother me if I never drank again.

• Advertisement

I drink at home a lot and tbh I think it's a bad habit to get into. I drank very, very little all the way through college. Even on my Erasmus year, I'd go crazy on nights out every couple of weeks, but it wouldn't occur to me to buy alcohol to drink at home. I'd be happy with herbal tea, hot chocolate or whatever.

When I started going out with my ex, we got into the habit of buying cans to have in the house and it became more and more frequent. My current boyfriend has always drunk loads, so we'd have at least a glass of wine or a small beer or two most nights and quite a bit more at the weekend. It's even worse here in Spain because booze is dirt cheap. I got a bottle of decent wine in the supermarket for 2 euro, cans are about 35p each...makes it really easy to drink at home. I am trying to cut back because I don't really like where it's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Nothing beat cracking out a few cans and turning on Ellen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

You are never alone (well I is not) all the voices in me head, we have great crack, I do feel sorry for the people with no voices in their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Oranage2 wrote: »

If drink makes you do that it is time to reconcidre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

This thread has inspired me to make myself a Jack and Coke and relax for the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Oranage2 wrote: »

Genuinely lol'd there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Has a history of being depressing, for me so not really anymore.

I only really go into town, to primarily drink if I'm honest and I don't want to ruin that and I might take home a few bottles, but thats it. I am like a drinking hipster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Why does one need to be around other people for their drinking to become acceptable...?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Im having a few beers now.missus and kids in bed...good times..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

right! i need to go to bed, i'm drin kin at ho me since this thread stsarted, don't feel any differ ent, reeeeely i doonn't, greeeat experience dough.....thanks op, whats that on the floor.....oh its ok it's just me !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Super hoop wrote: »
    Im having a few beers now.missus and kids in bed...good times..lol

Likewise, ......and a bit of on-line poker to go with it.

I wanted a beer, but they didn't have the beer I wanted in the shop. So I didn't have a beer. I'd like a beer.

• Site Banned Posts: 194 ✭✭andym1

razorgil wrote: »
    right! i need to go to bed, i'm drin kin at ho me since this thread stsarted, don't feel any differ ent, reeeeely i doonn't, greeeat experience dough.....thanks op, whats that on the floor.....oh its ok it's just me !!!

FuKkITt yer mE BhesT Mate

• Site Banned Posts: 194 ✭✭andym1

I wanted a beer, but they didn't have the beer I wanted in the shop. So I didn't have a beer. I'd like a beer.

Didnt have the beer you wanted ? Was it in a tin ? Did it have beer in it ? What do you want ? Didddywnkn 6% from Eindhoven ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

Drinking alone? Chance would be a fine thing. The sound of a cork popping or a cap snapping off is a people magnet. Feck off, it's my drink..

"Ooohh, wine, can I have some?"

" No, feck off, I'm drinking alone".

"Shut it Dwork boy and fill my glass"

"Jasus".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Mmmmm..... Beeeeeer..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Giruilla wrote: »
    Would you not say people who drink coffee every morning have a dependency on caffeine?

Yep:)

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

its a bunch of stereotyping by the majority as per usual.
    society has been mind washed to believe the social seeking extrovert is a standard that everyone shoud aim for lest they want to be called a unhealthy,un natural weirdo.

if those who have a normal relationship with alcohol prefer drinking in their own company it is their choice to do so and they arent weird or unhealthy by that action; not everyone is stimulated by the same things and the same surroundings.
    let introverts/ introvert mixed people be themselves,society needs to stop trying to force extroversion on people,screw that sht; if people want to choose what other people do then they can pay to have that privilidge of owning someone.
    Would you not say people who drink coffee every morning have a dependency on caffeine?
    that isnt true for everyone,many of us with autism drink,eat and do specific things acording to rigid routine,and it isnt a dependancy on things it self,its the predictibility that routine gives and the anxiety that not having predictibility causes.

andym1 wrote: »
    Didnt have the beer you wanted ? Was it in a tin ? Did it have beer in it ? What do you want ? Didddywnkn 6% from Eindhoven ?

Budweiser. Best beer in the world.

Or is that carlsberg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Used to drink alone a fair bit after I had moved to a new city. Didn't really know anyone around the place so would often grab a few cans or bottles, go home and sit down in front of boards/youtube and stick a few tunes on. Got sick of it though, eventually it became very depressing and unsatisfying. There would be about an hour where you have a good buzz but that would then fade into boredom and dullness. I'll only drink at home now if I have someone over for the evening. These days I'd rather go into a pub alone and chat to people in the smoking area or around the bar rather than drink at home alone. Won't meet any birds in my living room!

The guy who made the remark on the radio probably has his own agenda but his views shouldn't be dismissed entirely. Drinking at home alone is something that should be kept in check, doesn't always lead to dependency of course but alcohol is a powerful drug and should be respected. Regular drinking can be detrimental to the health even if a person isn't a full-blown alcoholic.

Also, the poll seems to contain a loaded question, as if people who don't drink at home have soemthing wrong with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Budweiser. Best beer in the world.

Or is that carlsberg?

Heineken :/

Heineken :/

Meh. They're all cack.

Actually heineken isn't the worst in the world I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm drinking in a wetherspoons in London and I'd feel less lonely drinking at home. English pubs are shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Drinking at home, few games on the xbox and a curry. This is fast becoming my preferred Friday night and one of the many upsides of single life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

Steve O wrote: »
    Drinking at home, few games on the xbox and a curry. This is fast becoming my preferred Friday night and one of the many upsides of single life.
    Alco.:D It's Thursday. When the days blur, you know you have a problem. I thought it was monday, but the missus corrected me.

Advertisement