Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why didnt they listen to me?

• 21-03-2013 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

There is no point being mad at anyone about this. Its done. Now all you can do is see what changes can be made to help your sister get through her leaving cert. She needs to talk to her teachers, and get advice there, as a first move. You say its the work load rather than the fact she took economics, so see if something can be done to help her.

And your sister, while a teenager, is still an individual who should make her own informed choices. Perhaps you and your mother should actually take a step back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Get her grinds? No point whinging about it now. It's a pretty easy subject as well once the work is put and she has a decent teacher.

Like mother like daughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

There are two issues here.

1. You're angry with your Mum, she's made a mistake (a pretty big one). It's a common flaw in parents to over-reach where their kids are concerned and the pressure it places on the kids is enormous. But there's nothing much productive you can do with anger right now. You need to focus on ...

2. Your sister passing her leaving certificate. How many subjects is she doing and at what level? What does she want to do when she leaves school? What kind of points will she need for it?

My daughter is doing 7 subjects, the best 6 subjects are what matters for the "points" requirements. She's a disaster at maths but great with languages, essay type questions, etc.

So we let her drop to Pass Maths and the difference was unbelievable, like a huge weight had been lifted from her shoulders. She was a different person (in terms of school) almost immediately.

Perhaps you can persuade your mother to let your sister drop to Pass Economics to relieve some of the burden. At the very least, you and your sister should sit her down and talk frankly about your sisters prospects at the moment.

Hopefully that will lead to a re-think of the approach ... particularly in the context of what is required and what is achievable in terms of Points.

Well she's chosen it now and it's too late to change. All you can do is try to help her. Lots of people have to do subjects they hate, sometimes due to bad decisions at the beginning of 5th year, and sometimes because they have no choice. I hated Irish and always struggled with it, but sometimes you've just got to do what you hate. Just try your best to help her.

• Advertisement

I cant help but notice that its your sisters choice but did she actually get to make it herself at all?

And when you talk to her now, what does SHE want to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I remember when I was in school, I took biology. I found it very hard and I knew if I sat the exam I would have failed, even at pass level. I didnt want an E on my results, so I didnt bother sitting the exam. It never showed up on the results. I just had the 6 subjects. I think 6 subjects is better than having the stress of another subject you cant handle.

Has she looked at Art & Design courses? AFAIK they are portfolio rather than points based (or at least they used to be)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭JMULL

Well if she is struggling with all subjects she would probably struggle with accounting as well. Accounting is way harder than ecomonics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I can understand why this is driving you mad but unfortunately you can't turn the clock back. When it comes down to it, your sister chose to take your mother's advice. Or was railroaded into it. Whatever.

There's no point in going over old ground here. She chose a subject that didn't suit her and unless she is in a position to drop it, she's stuck with it til the leaving. So all your sister can do now is get grinds or do whatever she thinks will get her through.

When it comes down to it, your sister is the one who needs to learn how to stand up for herself and have a say in her own future. It might mean getting a rubbish leaving for the penny to drop but if that's what it takes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Art is one of the hardest subjects to get high points in regardless of how good you are at the subject because it's too subjective, you can do well in the written portion of the test but the drawing sections are just purely down to whose grading and their subjective view of the work. I did art because I wanted to [and did] go to art school and I found nearly everyone on my college course did not do art for the leaving because it's so badly done at secondary level and has little to no barring on following a carer in art. Most art courses entrance are based almost entirely on portfolio and interview or NCAD has a project it gets students to do as it doesn't trust the leaving cert art exam. It's not a requirement at all to take Art for the leaving in order to get onto an art course, usually they just ask that you pass your leaving and base your entrance for the course on portfolio.

If your sister wants to go follow a career in Art then she should go for it, pass her leaving and get onto a one year portfolio course [I highly rec this over going straight into a 4 year course as it helps people explore the different areas of art and pick the one most suitable for them and their skill set] but she shouldn't take art as a subject because she thinks it's going to be an easy grade to up her over all points.

Honestly, it seems like neither you NOR your mother are thinking about what your sister wants. You have no idea if she would find accounting any easier than economics. The Leaving Cert may be a lost cause because both of you are pushing her into areas she clearly has no interest in.
    She loves art. She done well in art and that's her best subject.

If you want to help her, encourage her to get a portfolio together.

Well I'm sorry to say this but both you and your mother are wrong.

Every meeting I went to in the school, every teacher, university rep, career guidance person, they all gave the same message ... "encourage your child to take the subjects he/she is best at and is interested in". That is the only way to get the "best possible outcome".

The way the leaving cert/entry into college here is structured, it's ALL about the points. The best you can hope for now is to re-organise her priorities to get the most out of what is already a bad situation.

Tell her to focus on the subjects in which she'll get the best grades, get her help in the others and help her to understand that she still has options, whatever the outcome.

The important thing now is to relieve some of the stress your sister seems to be under, otherwise a low points score will be the least of her worries.

• Administrators Posts: 14,227 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

You say your sister is struggling at all subjects and can't wait to just leave school.

This might be just who she is, regardless of whether she picked Accounting or Economics. It's easy to look back at bad decisions made and say, 'we should have done the other'. But you have no way of knowing whether or not she would be any better at Accounting, even with your help. And then you would have your mother on at YOU for forcing her in the wrong direction and saying 'I told you she should have done economics'.

My brother has a fantastic brain. But couldn't stand accounting. In a small country school options were limited.

He tried extra lessons with his teacher but had no interest in it. He knew he only needed 6 subjects so dropped Accounting completely. Went to class, but did something else, and concentrated on his other 6. He went in the day of the exam. Wrote his number on the book, and sat there. Didn't even open the exam paper. He waited the 30 minutes that you have to remain in the room, and then left.

He has an NG beside accounting on his leaving but got good honours in everything else.

Encourage her to get her art portfolio together. Ask her to talk to the school about dropping economics altogether and concentrate on getting the best she can in the other 6.

Just because you picked it up quick and got your degree doesn't mean your sister would find it equally as easy. She's a different person to both you, and your mam. It's time you both stopped arguing over what's best for her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

Just because you are good at accounting doesnt mean your sister would be. Saying how you picked it up easily is great for you but how do you know that would translate for your sister????

That exact reasoning is probably why your mother wanted her to do Economics.

• Advertisement

Yeah, in this scenario both of you are in the wrong. Its her life, she should be able to make her own choices then - yes, you want what is best for her, but what you want and what is best for her are two different things.

If the worst happens, she could do a PLC, which is sometimes a backdoor into college. Often times people would use them as a means to improve their portfolios, whether it be art, film & tv, design or anything else.

Right now you and your mother should take a step back, because the leaving cert is hard enough without two overpowering individuals standing over you.

why didn't they listen to me?
    My sister is in leaving cert and struggling. Mainly because my mother told her to do economics as a subject and said she remembered it all from her school days and could help her. I said don't do it. I done accounting and I have a degree in it. Five years accounting behind me and my mother still insisted she knew more about economics than I did accounting. Now my sister is failing economics and doing badly in everything else because the work load is too much. What can I do I am so mad at my mother

What exactly do you want Sasha?

I thought you were concerned for your sister getting through her leaving cert, but it seems the (in my opinion) secondary problem of finding someone to blame for the position she is in now is more important.

By all means be mad at your mother (and your sister) for not taking your advice, but it would be helpful if you would clarify this as I think it would influence people's responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I don't mean to be rude but I am at a bit of a loss why you posted this thread. As you say yourself your sister wanted to do a Business subject and she picked Economics. Yes, maybe your mother had some influence over this decision but I am sure this was not the only factor. At the end of the day your sister made a decision and we have no way of knowing whether she would have done any better at Acoounting. Just because you didn't have a hard time with it doesn't mean you sister wouldn't. Maybe she didn't feel comfortable getting help from you or feel you would have the patiences with her. She made her choice and she is living with it.

At the end of the day your sister made the final decision, not your mother. Being mad at your mom is achieving nothing and is of no help to your sister.

You could try posting in the Leaving cert forum for suggestion about grinds, websites, revision courses etc and encourage her to do as many past exam questions as possible.

To be honest, and again I don't mean to be rude I don't see why you put up this thread here other than hoping to get people to say you were right and they were wrong.

Quite possibly, its an option. Talk to her teacher.
    Should she focus on her main subjects that will get her the most points and just try scrape a pass in the others?
    No she should focus on the subjects she does best in and enjoys most. Chasing points in a subject she may dislike is soul destroying and probably wont get the best out of her.
    Is it too late to start trying to salvage a subject she seems doomed in?
    Depends if she is motivated enough to try.
    Or maybe just some hope that the mocks don't mean that's what she will get in her real exam. Just a bit of hope really it's worrying.
    They are an indicator, but often marked more harshly than the real exam. Remove stress from the girl. It will not help. Look at all her options, with all possible levels of points gained, from lowest expectations to highest. Let her apply for what she actually wants to do, as the main thing.

And remember this is not the be all and end all, and will not dictate her whole life, regardless of how it may seem.

OK, fair enough, I think that's being addressed well enough here.

I think I've answered most of your the questions already but I will add one more thing ... if this is a panic related to the result of her mock exams I would definitely worry a little less.

Traditionally, mock exams tend to be marked harder than real exams in order to keep the students focused and discourage them from coasting in the months leading up to the real exams.

But again, the best way for her to get the most points is to focus on which subjects she'll do well in and get her a little help with ones she's struggling with.

Here's a handy little points calculator to give you both an idea of what is achievable.

Leaving Cert Points Calculator

You should encourage your mother and your sister to talk to her year head and see if any changes should be made to her classes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

LittleBook wrote: »
    My daughter is doing 7 subjects, the best 6 subjects are what matters for the "points" requirements. She's a disaster at maths but great with languages, essay type questions, etc.

So we let her drop to Pass Maths and the difference was unbelievable, like a huge weight had been lifted from her shoulders. She was a different person (in terms of school) almost immediately.

I don't understand this. What do you mean 'we let her drop to pass..' Surely it should be her decision what level to do. Isnt that what this whole thread is about, parents thinking they know everything and what's best for their teenagers and not sitting them down and discussing strengths and weaknesses in various subjects.

My wife is a secondary school teacher and she constantly sees arrogant and ignorant parents insisting their precious daughter does higher level when they are clearly not capable of even getting a pass mark in it let alone a top grade.

A lot if teenagers are struggling because their patents are putting so much pressure on them to do higher level subjects that thru chose for them and not what the child wanted to do themselves.

I chose all my own subjects and decided if I wanted to do pass or honors (as it was then). I got Good grades in them all.

CJC999 wrote: »
    I don't understand this. What do you mean 'we let her drop to pass..'

It was a figure of speech. If you bother to read my other posts on the subject you will see that my daughter is perfectly in control of her studies and has my complete support.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,227 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

OP, I don't think that just because she is already doing a couple of ordinary level subjects should be a reason to persevere with honours in a subject that she is struggling so badly in.

What does she want to do after school? What courses is she looking at, or interested in? What points does she need?

There seems to be more of an emphasis from you on her 'getting a good leaving' than on what she actually wants to eventually do.

If she continues at higher level in a subject that she is really struggling in, she won't 'get a good leaving', whereas dropping to Ordinary Level, may give her that breathing space.

What do her teachers think?

You (and your mam) have to accept that your sister has different strengths than you. Work with what she has, and what she knows is obtainable for her, and see where that leads her.

If she wants grinds, etc well and good. If she is doing them just to please others, it's not so good (and a waste of money!)

Get her to figure out what it is she eventually wants, and work back from there.

In a couple of years her leaving results will be almost irrelevant anyway! A good Leaving Cert is a good stepping stone, and a good basis for people who are academic to move onto the next phase of their lives. But a 'not so good' Leaving isn't the end of the world. There's more than one way to skin a cat, and all that...

Advertisement