Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adblock plus and youtube problem

Options
  • 21-03-2013 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Hi,

don't know if this is the right place, but hopefully a mod will move it to the right place if not.

I use firefox and until yesterday, adblock plus was working perfectly for youtube - none of those annoying ads before the video.

When I got home i turned on my laptop, went to youtube and noticed that something had changed - the screen had resized itself (control and - fixed that), and now it says youtube jp (I live in Japan at the moment), not in the url, but on the site page itself.

Once I tried to play a video, nothing happened. So after thinking about it, I disabled adblockplus, then reloaded the page, and the video played, with the accompanying ad. Before doing this, I think I inadvertenly adjusted some filter (firefox filter? adblockplus filter? youtube filter?) which might be part of, or all of, the problem.

So it's either videos with ads, or nothing at the moment. I've uninstalled adblockplus and reinstalled it (it's termed 'remove' by firefox).

Can anybody help me out?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

osarusan wrote: »
    Hi,

don't know if this is the right place, but hopefully a mod will move it to the right place if not.

I use firefox and until yesterday, adblock plus was working perfectly for youtube - none of those annoying ads before the video.

When I got home i turned on my laptop, went to youtube and noticed that something had changed - the screen had resized itself (control and - fixed that), and now it says youtube jp (I live in Japan at the moment), not in the url, but on the site page itself.

Once I tried to play a video, nothing happened. So after thinking about it, I disabled adblockplus, then reloaded the page, and the video played, with the accompanying ad. Before doing this, I think I inadvertenly adjusted some filter (firefox filter? adblockplus filter? youtube filter?) which might be part of, or all of, the problem.

So it's either videos with ads, or nothing at the moment. I've uninstalled adblockplus and reinstalled it (it's termed 'remove' by firefox).

Can anybody help me out?

Try manually updating the filter sets in abp. Look under "Custom filters" and see if you inadvertantly created one accidentally

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I read somewhere only 2 days ago that Google had purposely broken abdlock on Youtube

I have abp and it's fine on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I read somewhere only 2 days ago that Google had purposely broken abdlock on Youtube

I think you're getting mixed up with Google Play?

Play Store kicked ADP (And all other ad blocking software) from Google Play Store.
    Buy ADP have relaunched a new version available now. Buthas to be side-installed. (i.e. Not from Google Play.)

OP,
    Have you tried to uninstall it and reinstall it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Allyall wrote: »
    I think you're getting mixed up with Google Play?

Play Store kicked ADP (And all other ad blocking software) from Google Play Store.
    Buy ADP have relaunched a new version available now. Buthas to be side-installed. (i.e. Not from Google Play.)

Nope, read it somewhere relating to the Firefox plugin. I'll go through my history and see can I dig it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Could be adblock itself, maybe you got the update that allows some non-intrusive ads, you can uncheck it in the filter settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Could be adblock itself, maybe you got the update that allows some non-intrusive ads, you can uncheck it in the filter settings.
    Think that only allows stuff on Reddit for now, only word ads, no vids, flash. Seemingly adblock approached them looking for a third of whatever profits they make on ads to allow Reddit on a whitelist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

yoyo wrote: »
    Try manually updating the filter sets in abp. Look under "Custom filters" and see if you inadvertantly created one accidentally

Nick

I've messed arouns with this a couple of times, but with no success
    Allyall wrote: »
    Have you tried to uninstall it and reinstall it?

Quite a few times.
    BopNiblets wrote: »

I turned that setting off, but to no avail.

Basically, if adblockplus is enabled, there is just black where the video would play. When I disable it, i get the videos and ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Oh holy crap!! seems to be fixed. Some of that messing around must have helped. I've a sneaking feeling it was this:

Seemd like under 'custom filters', 'exception rules' and 'adblocking rules' were activated - I deactivated them.....does this sound like it could have been the reason?

Anyhow, thanks all - you have no idea how annoying japanese youtube ads are.

Advertisement