Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outstanding Rent

Options
  • 21-03-2013 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey all

I just had a quick query - i am leaving a commercial property (end of lease) and there is rent outstanding from my part.

As it happens i took over the lease along with fixtures and fittings from previous tenant. I am considering asking the landlord to offset the outstanding rent against the value of fixtures and fittings which include timber floors, carpet, lighting, plumbing fixtures, water pump, heat extractors etc. Their value is worth more than the outstanding rent.

Has anyone else had this experience? Does it purely come down to good will of landlord.

If i cant reach compromise i am thinking of removing all fittings etc myself.

Any views would be great

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

I suppose as long as the previous tenant didn't have the same idea, and already offset outstanding rent in the same way, it sounds to me like a reasonable offer. I believe it would be down to the good will of the landlord, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

eoinola wrote: »
    Does it purely come down to good will of landlord.

I would have thought so, yes. I cant speak for the commercial side of lettings but with residential letting the landlord would be under no obligation to accept anything in lieu of unpaid rent.

Depending on how much rent is outstanding the landlord may consider this a worthwhile arrangement, especially if the fittings increase the value/desirability of the property, so it would be worth at least proposing it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jocelynel

in my experience 'if you don't ask...you don't get'
    have you a good relationship with LL...get him around to inspect the fittings and try to come to an arrangement, well may suit him. depends if he needs the cash aswell. i tried to negotiate with the council about 2 years ago, but they wouldn't even consider it so i took everything and sold it all on gumtree and ended up doing better albeit a bit of hassle!
    good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭eoinola

cheers - it will definitely come down to good will, he has been good so far but when it comes to money your best friend can seem like a stranger.

If we cant reach an agreement i will have to pay him small monthly amount in installments as I don't have the cash to pay outstanding rent.

Might be fun taking everything out to sell!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭eoinola

sorry for another question - would it be common for a commercial landlord to have a key to the property - i imagine they would.

• Advertisement
Advertisement