Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi In Balbriggan

Options
  • 21-03-2013 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi, I currently have a phone line and broadband and its not a bad service.
    I'm looking to get rid of the phone line part as its never used.
    Does anyone here have just broadband with no line rental charges?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭DJMG92

kaisersoze wrote: »
    Hi, I currently have a phone line and broadband and its not a bad service.
    I'm looking to get rid of the phone line part as its never used.
    Does anyone here have just broadband with no line rental charges?
    Thanks.

Depending on the part of Balbriggan you live in you could get UPC or imagine wimax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Not worth getting UPC without the phone as it actually works out more expensive on most packages, cos they charge you an extra fee for NOT having the phone :rolleyes:

We have UPC and are very happy with it, we really don't need the phone and almost never even use the 100 free minutes, but it is cheaper to have it than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

Dont think UPC have cabled our area yet, so I might try imagine. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Dont think UPC have cabled our area yet, so I might try imagine. Thanks.

Go to the broadband forum and look up Imagine. choc full of horror stories.
    Having said that, I have it since launch two summers ago. Had a nightmare getting it in, launch was delayed, wasnt informed etc. But I do not have a single bad word to say about it. Think there have been 2 days with no coverage. Phoned the helpline and it was a station down, maintenance on way type thing. I dont use the phone, but the broadband is very stable. I attend college lectures online, mostly in the evening, and never have a problem with connection/buffering. I also would be quite a heavy user. Laptop, 2 iphones and an ipad in the house. Sky go/netflix, and a good bit of media file downloading and have never once had a cap breach.
    I can only say good things about them.

When it was installed I was told the transmitter was at millfield. I live near the gaurds so am reasonably close. I also have the window box, not the mounted chimney one, fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

TBH I would be inclined to wait for UPC to come to your area (if it is in the reasonable future). I perservered for 6 mths with a dongle until it was available and there is no comparision with my fibre optic service and my sister who has eircom or my neighbour who has imagine. The speed and quality is just far far better and hardly ever have any issues with the connection dropping. We originally signed up for the 50mgs but could only get 26 so pay a few quid less. Even at 26 (and actually when I have checked it, it is usually around the 28-30 mark) it is far superior.

• Advertisement

Little Ted wrote: »
    TBH I would be inclined to wait for UPC to come to your area (if it is in the reasonable future). I perservered for 6 mths with a dongle until it was available and there is no comparision with my fibre optic service and my sister who has eircom or my neighbour who has imagine. The speed and quality is just far far better and hardly ever have any issues with the connection dropping. We originally signed up for the 50mgs but could only get 26 so pay a few quid less. Even at 26 (and actually when I have checked it, it is usually around the 28-30 mark) it is far superior.

As much as i rate Imagine, i would be gone in a flash to upc, but i have been on to upc several times and there are NO short to medium term plans to expand in Balbriggan. Problem with planning permission, one of their agents told me. You would be left waiting.

Jim, I presume you mean hate and not rate? lol
    Jimdagym wrote: »
    As much as i rate Imagine, i would be gone in a flash to upc, but i have been on to upc several times and there are NO short to medium term plans to expand in Balbriggan. Problem with planning permission, one of their agents told me. You would be left waiting.

Jim, I presume you mean hate and not rate? lol

Not at all. Love them. But would jump for the higher speeds of UPC.

Put a query in to UPC. Nothing going to happen this year! Stuck with Eircom for now.

Advertisement