Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adventure bikes

• 21-03-2013 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭

Who stocks a lot of them in ireland?

I'm looking into changing the shadow, I'm looking at low cc .ie 600-800cc and I was thinking a XT 660 GS 650 or a DL650 even.

But of all the usual bike shops no one seems to keep a decent stock of them.

1 or 2 in Dublin that have a few but nothing that suit. I'm based in limerick so someone down south would be an advantage.

There are a few Varadero 100's around all right but i would prefer to stay on the lower cc and lighter bike for a while yet.

any ideas?

Forgot to say id be looking to trade in the shadow against one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Are you considering off road at all? If so that prob rules out the WeeStrom. The others should be fairly capable with the right tyres, though the Dakar/Serato version of the F650/G650 would be better again.

Theres rarely any discussion about adventure bikes on here unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

TheFairy wrote: »
    Are you considering off road at all? If so that prob rules out the WeeStrom. The others should be fairly capable with the right tyres, though the Dakar/Serato version of the F650/G650 would be better again.

Theres rarely any discussion about adventure bikes on here unfortunately.

There doesnt seem to be discussion anywhere!!!

I wouldnt rule out off roading. I'd like to have the option of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

There doesnt seem to be discussion anywhere!!!

I wouldnt rule out off roading. I'd like to have the option of it.

I have a xt660z tenere (and an FJR). Love it perfect for Irish roads.

I think bikes irks in Dublin have a new xt in at the minute, hurst in belfast usually have them.

Both a long way from limerick.

650Ginge wrote: »
    I have a xt660z tenere (and an FJR). Love it perfect for Irish roads.

I think bikes irks in Dublin have a new xt in at the minute, hurst in belfast usually have them.

Both a long way from limerick.

Sorry where i dublin?

Did you buy the tenere new? Whats upkeep like on them? I'd be fairly new to motorbike mechanics so for a period id be getting the work done by someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Before I bought the R1100S I was looking for a 1150GS or 1200GS, I'd still love one but tbh the fuel economy on this boxer scares the crap out of me and so I'd avoid a big boxer again.

I had a Honda Dommie (650 thumper) for a few years and it was great, very comfortable and I've often thought of going back to a trailie like the F650 Dakar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Sorry where i dublin?

Did you buy the tenere new? Whats upkeep like on them? I'd be fairly new to motorbike mechanics so for a period id be getting the work done by someone else.

Bike world I meant.

No didnt buy new and never would buy new.

The xt has one cylinder and should be easy and cheap to maintain. I do all my own work, been learning as I go for about 5 years. Regular servicing will be a doddle on the xt.

It has a chain that's the one thing I don't like so much a shaft is so much cleaner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

i had a f650 st for a while last year, great little bike the only mod i did was go up a tooth on the front sprocket to stop it revving its head off at anything over 75mph, great handling when the adventure tyres came off it! oh and the mpg improved slightly as well!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Before I bought the R1100S I was looking for a 1150GS or 1200GS, I'd still love one but tbh the fuel economy on this boxer scares the crap out of me and so I'd avoid a big boxer again.

Off topic I know: You should expect 45mpg or more, depending on your riding of course. What are you getting? There are a few things you could check e.g. CO potentiometer, throttle position sensor voltage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The Weestrom are good bikes, pretty bulletproof engines given fresh oil.
    It all depends on what kind of riding you want to adventure, most bikes will handle light offroading with care, obviously the lighter the better if you have to paddle through sandy/muddy areas.
    But the adv bikes are usually a little taller with more suspension travel.
    I wouldn't look away from the new NC700X Honda they are supposed to be very economical and quite well mannered off road.
    They are also quite cheap new.
    I have a Dominator RD02 which I am loath to part with great bikes, comfortable and pretty economical and most importantly reliable.
    You can buy nice ones for around 1500 now, there is one on done deal that looks straight if a little pricey.
    ADV style bikes aren't popular here,despite the poor roads most people still like sportsbikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I had a Honda Dommie (650 thumper) for a few years and it was great, very comfortable and I've often thought of going back to a trailie like the F650 Dakar.
    Only got my 1150 last week but seems to be getting around 55mpg. Nothing wrong with that.

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the replies lads.

There does seem to be some good deals on donedeal at the moment but i really need to trade in the shadow against something. So i guess its a case of keeping and eye out.

With regards to the lighter the better for the off road stuff... how would a lighter bike fair out on open road in windy conditions then?

I suppose its just finding a balance really. The weestrom might be a nice balance or a transalp. I do love the look of the XT 660 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

The other thing to consider is how tall you are? I've a short leg so some of the adventure bikes I'd love to own seem to be far to tall for me to even consider without lowering, which isnt the way I'd like to go.

I would also love an XT but when I looked at them at the Belfast bike show they seemed far too tall.

Theres a new CB500X, I think thats the model, coming out. While not equipped for offroad it comes with luggage etc so could be an option.

My advice would be to sell your own bike direct and then you can shop around north of the border as well. If we knew your budget we could keep an eye out for you. The other adventure bike forums always have stuff for sale.

With regards to the lighter the better for the off road stuff... how would a lighter bike fair out on open road in windy conditions then?

I suppose its just finding a balance really. The weestrom might be a nice balance or a transalp. I do love the look of the XT 660 though.
    I don't have any problems on the dommie, but then at moderate speeds it isn't really a problem.
    Transalps are great, bit heavy for offroading but super comfortable and very reliable engines, the early ones were the same engine as the Bros and Africa twin sleeved down.
    Have you tried the XT660Z? They are pretty tall bikes.
    Have a look at Chris Scotts site hes been at it a while and has some good tips in his book.
    ADVRider.com has plenty of info but its heavily US-Centric and as such doesn't have much about Transalps or Africa Twins
    XRV.org.uk is pretty much Honda based but being UK based is much more relevant.

I'm a hobbit. 5'8 :)

The CB500X is a cracking looking machine all right and i was looking at it no release date yet though.

Have the shadow for sale on donedeal and the other bike forums. Will just have to wait to sell it i guess.

Depending on what i get for the shadow. id be expecting to have 4.5k to spend.

The CB500X is a cracking looking machine all right and i was looking at it no release date yet though.

Have the shadow for sale on donedeal and the other bike forums. Will just have to wait to sell it i guess.

You won't be too far off the price of a NC700X!
    Get a older 600 Transalp and save for an NC700X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

The CB500X is a cracking looking bike. If I could I would go for the white version. some day, some day:(

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You won't be too far off the price of a NC700X!
    Get a older 600 Transalp and save for an NC700X

Lee honda are quoting them at 8500!!!!

Lads has anyone had a DR650 ? are they a capable machine. i'm forward thinking a bit here but would they be up to the challenge of seeing a bit of europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

kle500 might be worth a look in, or a versys (kle650) if you can find one for sale - quite underrated afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Any 650 is well up to touring europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Africa Twin
    Do It
    Now

Notch000 wrote: »
    Africa Twin
    Do It
    Now

They are well up there on my list. Been keeping an eye garages down this way but nothing in the 600-650 range coming up.

Someone buy my shadow :P

Notch000 wrote: »
    Africa Twin
    Do It
    Now
    Way over priced for what they are.
    Any 600 single will be fine to tour with, not great on motorways but fine of you want to actually see the scenery rather then just blast across it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

New Suzuki V-Strom looks well tasty.

Advertisement