Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Ethernet port? Fix Options?

Options
  • 21-03-2013 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

I have a desktop with a broken ethernet port. What are options to fix?

Can I replace it with a USB ethernet adapter? If so can anyone recommend one that will work with windows 7?

Do I have any other options? can I replace the ethernet port itself without needing to deal with drivers for a usb adapter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If it's a desktop you would be better off with a pci network card if you have a slot free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    If it's a desktop you would be better off with a pci network card if you have a slot free

It is a desktop. Can you or someone recommend one that will work with minimium fuss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Open the case, see if you have a free PCI slot.
    Buy a PCI Ethernet controller (any will do, really).
    Fit the card into the slot.
    Start the computer
    Insert the (mini) CD and install the driver.

Walk in the park...

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

It' a walk in the park for people who are used to doing it but there are a few notes of caution for newbie. Firstly there are two types of adaptor, in some of the newer computers it is a mini pci adaptor or it could be a normal size so check which one before you buy, always earth yourself before going inside machine. touching metal radiator beforehand usually does the trick. Always make sure the mains plug is off and even when off, just turn the power button on to drain and residual current left inside, then follow guide here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG7R_D1Uxrk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Before opening case, turn off power, REMOVE pc power plug from esb socket.
    touch a water tap, and the pc metal case ,to get rid of static electricity.
    Before putting in a new case.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1805385/art/trendnet/tu2-et-10010-100-mbps-usb.html#srcid=867

Quote;
    After hours of research and a bit of luck, I can confirm that the following works on Windows 7 64-bit...

TRENDNET TU2-ET 10010/100 MBPS USB TO ETHERNET ADAPTER
    ... or anything with the AX88772 chip (as there is a Windows 7 64-bit Driver).

end quote.

Actually this one from peats,parnell st. is the same price as an ethernet card,

Compatible operating systems: Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7
    Mac OS X 10.x:
    Networking features: Fast Ethernet
    Connector(s): USB 2.0, RJ-45

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?id=30717&type=product

Compatible with windows 7.
    You,ll probably have to install driver from cdrom,
    win7, 32,
    or 64bit driver,
    Depending on is it win7 32bit,or 64bit os ,you have installed on your pc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    I have a desktop with a broken ethernet port. What are options to fix?

Can I replace it with a USB ethernet adapter? If so can anyone recommend one that will work with windows 7?

Do I have any other options? can I replace the ethernet port itself without needing to deal with drivers for a usb adapter?

step 1 boot to bios and disable onboard lan

step 2 install pci network card

step 3 install drivers for that new network card

Advertisement