Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helloween & Gamma Ray

• 21-03-2013 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Anyone heading over to see Helloween & Gamma Ray in London next month?

Would have love to go to PPM in Belgium a few days earlier, but had no one to go with & didn't really fancy going to a festival on my lonesome, so opted for the gig in London instead, seeing as I'll be seeing Queensryche in Dublin anyway a few days later.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

Not heading to London but would love to see 'em here. Little demand for power metal in Ireland it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Yeah unfortunately not much interest here at all. I saw them play together in London a few years ago - Gamma Ray blew Helloween off the stage, so really looking forward to this gig. Just a pity it's a midweek gig, as it'll be a very brief trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

yknaa wrote: »
    Little demand for power metal in Ireland it seems.

This is true. There is a dearth of Power Metal bands coming to Ireland. If you take DME for example who bring over plenty Black/Death/Thrash bands but when did the last Power Metal band perform in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 CELBRIDGE HOOP

I'm also heading over to London for this.Queensryche on Monday,Helloween on Tuesday,West Ham V Man Utd on Wednesday and back to Dublin for Queensryche on Friday.Can't wait for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Is Kai Hansen still performing a few songs on stage with Helloween, I wonder?

I loved the old Helloween stuff, 'Walls of Jericho' for example is still the best Power Metal album from Germany, imo :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I'm heading over to it, Sonata Arctica are also playing in London the day after so I'm making a little trip out of it. Then back in time for Queensryche on Friday of course!
    Passenger wrote: »
    This is true. There is a dearth of Power Metal bands coming to Ireland. If you take DME for example who bring over plenty Black/Death/Thrash bands but when did the last Power Metal band perform in Ireland?

Sabaton in November were probably the last power metal act to hit Ireland, thoroughly enjoyed that show and it was packed (a lot of Poles at it, they're mad for Sabaton). I've asked on DME's page and it seems there isn't much demand, but at the same time I asked if there was any possibility we'd get Nightwish over again and I was told the same thing, even though they packed Vicar Street in 2008. Another band I had to see in London because they didn't come back here.

I'm heading over to it, Sonata Arctica are also playing in London the day after so I'm making a little trip out of it. Then back in time for Queensryche on Friday of course!

Nice plan, man. Sounds like a fun couple of days. I rarely meet people around Dublin who are big into Power Metal anyway. People seem to gravitate toward Black/Death/Thrash in Ireland as I mentioned so that's fair enough that DME said that there isn't much demand.

How much would that trip cost (Flights/Gig Tickets, etc.) if you don't mind me asking, Twilightning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Passenger wrote: »
    Nice plan, man. Sounds like a fun couple of days. I rarely meet people around Dublin who are big into Power Metal anyway. People seem to gravitate toward Black/Death/Thrash in Ireland as I mentioned so that's fair enough that DME said that there isn't much demand.

How much would that trip cost (Flights/Gig Tickets, etc.) if you don't mind me asking, Twilightning?

Trip costs very little.

I snagged flights to London Gatwick the day of the show and a return on the Thursday for €44 with all taxes and charges thrown in. Sonata ticket will cost around €25, Helloween around €30-35, accommodation is free because I'll be crashing with a friend who's living in London, who will also be heading to the Sonata show with me. Just have to factor in food/tube/getting pissed and you have the makings of a great little trip to London for less than €150 overall, back in time for Queensryche. :D

Trip costs very little.

I snagged flights to London Gatwick the day of the show and a return on the Thursday for €44 with all taxes and charges thrown in. Sonata ticket will cost around €25, Helloween around €30-35, accommodation is free because I'll be crashing with a friend who's living in London, who will also be heading to the Sonata show with me. Just have to factor in food/tube/getting pissed and you have the makings of a great little trip to London for less than €150 overall, back in time for Queensryche. :D

That's pretty good. There might be a future Power Metal excursion on the cards. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Yeah I got my flights for €38 to Stansted, standsted express to my brothers apartment €28 & ticket for Helloween £30.

Would have gone to Queensryche on the Monday had they not been supposed to play here on the Friday:( Now I have to wait til October & pray that doesn't also get cancelled. I see the whole Uk & Ireland tour is postponed until October, what will you do now on the Monday? Glad I didn't book for 2 nights now.

Didn't realise that Sonata Arctica were playing the day after, but with a 17 month old at home, gone are the days of going away on my own to gigs for a few days. If it was a weekend, I would have brought her & either my mam or partner with me so they could mind her while I was gone, but there's no way she'd stay with my brother & his partner as she rarely sees them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement