Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CB radio in limerick

• 21-03-2013 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

just wondering if cb is still active around the area,i was on in the early 80s when there were plenty of people on but has modern social network like skype facebook etc taken over. if you were on in the 80s where were you based and what was your nickname..73s

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

I was on from the 70's it got very messy later and I sold out ,

I have the ticket now not really active, the friendship and comradely of early cb is missing, not helped by (as you state) various online systems

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bandit7388

jomoloney wrote: »
    I was on from the 70's it got very messy later and I sold out ,

I have the ticket now not really active, the friendship and comradely of early cb is missing, not helped by (as you state) various online systems
    agree on the messy bit,was on again early 2000s and it was worse,seemed like every scumbag in the town was on and not very enjoyable at all,,i read somewhere maybe on boards that someone is trying to get it back up and running and maybe form a club,he said that ch19 was open each night and wanted people to call in to guage the interest, i have a receiver but heard nothing.

I remember some of the names people used back in the 80s iron duke corbally.
    irn bru in a flat in town. big mol south hill. green man moyross. yellow pearl.
    silver fox taxi driver. buck rodgers carew park. moonshine garryowen. silver surfer garryowen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

had a couple cb's in my time, one in my first ever car and one at home in my room with the big ass 30ft aerial attached to the side of the house, used to be the odd quiz from time to time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

bandit7388 wrote: »
    silver fox taxi driver. buck rodgers carew park. moonshine garryowen. silver surfer garryowen.
    'Jonny' Black Arrow and 'Kevin' Man Utd from the Island, Big Bob and the Fireman from Southill. Jude Banks in Balla for the gear.
    BobMc wrote: »
    had a couple cb's in my time, one in my first ever car and one at home in my room with the big ass 30ft aerial attached to the side of the house, used to be the odd quiz from time to time

Used to be a quiz most Sunday nites back in the 80's, went to an 'eyeball' quiz once somewhere on Thomas St.
    Couldn't have one now with the mobile phones we own.
    Innocent times. Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RealExpert

If you still have your rig have a listen during the day there are still a few truckers on it or put out a few calls and see if you get any reply.
    You could go to the limerick radio club for advice/help to get your licence and then the world is your oyster so to speak.
    Got my ticket about 13 years ago but not really active for last few years due to moving house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    'Jonny' Black Arrow and 'Kevin' Man Utd from the Island, Big Bob and the Fireman from Southill. Jude Banks in Balla for the gear.

Used to be a quiz most Sunday nites back in the 80's, went to an 'eyeball' quiz once somewhere on Thomas St.
    Couldn't have one now with the mobile phones we own.
    Innocent times. Good times.

freewheeler oconnel ave , the tramp, pat in in William st , the girl in the pub dock road eager beaver (not sure)

ringspanner , shocker cowboy, friar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

OP, you reminded me of this episode of Terry and June :)

jomoloney wrote: »
    freewheeler oconnel ave , the tramp, pat in in William st , the girl in the pub dock road eager beaver (not sure)

ringspanner , shocker cowboy, friar
    i remember them all well, fab fred in janesboro shocker cowboy was big mols hubby, freewheeler aka liam eager beaver thats right moores pub. taxi drivers were known as body snatchers and ch4 was for them only. yellow pearl,seamus manager of the esso station in mulgrave st. there was a girl on st patricks rd,lisa coonerty rip. cant remember the handle. pink panther fairgreen. few in lynwood park, great craic and stayed up till the wee hours, fab fred used to do the limerick breakers club news every week, went to see smokey and the bandit with the club. anyone remember the protest outside the dail sometime in the 80s, minister cooney was going to make us use fm,loads from limerick went up.
    great times and many eyeballs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 John from ennis

does anyone of ye still have scanners?

• Advertisement

does anyone of ye still have scanners?
    plenty of people still use them,i have 2. they were mostly bought for listening to the cops or old analog mobile phones but nowadays they are gone digital and cannot be heard,no scanner anywhere can pick up the digital but there is still loads to hear,marine search and rescue,fire ,ambulance,security etc.
    really only used by radio hobby users.hf listening will get you an awful lot more 0-30mhz military,naval,ham operators,aircraft civil and military,even the space station.plenty of scanners on ebay for very cheap if interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

plenty of people still use them,i have 2. they were mostly bought for listening to the cops or old analog mobile phones but nowadays they are gone digital and cannot be heard,no scanner anywhere can pick up the digital but there is still loads to hear,marine search and rescue,fire ,ambulance,security etc.
    really only used by radio hobby users.hf listening will get you an awful lot more 0-30mhz military,naval,ham operators,aircraft civil and military,even the space station.plenty of scanners on ebay for very cheap if interested.

Ambulance are going tetra shortly so they'll be gone. Remember Popeye, obviously Bandit :) & a good few more. Miss the craic & the meets out & around the Mungret/Clarina/Raheen area

does anyone remember the guy in clarina who did repairs and sales??also the yank in william street near powers small profit stores,,1st ever cb i got was from king canutes in thomas st,small yolk that only covered ch14 would love that now might be worth a few bob.
    it got me started and progressed to president ar7.
    still not much activity here nowadays.would love to see it up and running again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

the new cb is now skype and xbox live,,my lads chat away half the night with headsets and microphones while playing games..

Advertisement