Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponsorship by recruiters

Options
  • 21-03-2013 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭

I have seen a few people on here that say they have been granted 457 visas through their recruitment agents.

When your role in the company you're actually working for ends, I'm sure I read here somewhere that the 28 day rule applies as normal. However, are you still sponsored by the recruiter i.e. if you get a role in different company through that same recruitment company, does your sponsorship continue?

I'm thinking this is too good to be true, because then you could get roles with no 6 month limit.

I've been offered 3 months sponsorship as an accountant through my recruiter. My WHV is that long anyway but it means I won't be unemployed over this period. If it has additional benefits like those I'm asking above, then I don't think I'll be turning that down.

As an aside, when you are waiting for the 457 visa to be processed, can you continue to work for the company if the 6 month limit has been reached?

I'm sure these have been asked before but I couldn't find the answers

I actually have to decide tomorrow!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I have seen a few people on here that say they have been granted 457 visas through their recruitment agents.
    I have in the past and know a few people who have
    When your role in the company you're actually working for ends, I'm sure I read here somewhere that the 28 day rule applies as normal. However, are you still sponsored by the recruiter i.e. if you get a role in different company through that same recruitment company, does your sponsorship continue?
    yes the 28 day rule applies. yes if you get another job that's fine.
    So once you finish your role, you have 28 days to find another job.
    I'm thinking this is too good to be true, because then you could get roles with no 6 month limit.
    Too good to be true?? Well only if you take the argument that it is better than the WHV rules.
    I've been offered 3 months sponsorship as an accountant through my recruiter. My WHV is that long anyway but it means I won't be unemployed over this period. If it has additional benefits like those I'm asking above, then I don't think I'll be turning that down.

As an aside, when you are waiting for the 457 visa to be processed, can you continue to work for the company if the 6 month limit has been reached?
    Yes you can, you will be granted or you can apply for a bridging visa - just ask your recruitment company - most are automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Thanks Hussey!

Yes, I am so used to do WHV restrictions that it did sound too good to be true!

I suppose a downside is I'll accept whatever work is going during those 28 days but at least I'll be able to go for roles greater than 6 months.

Ideally the current offer would have been longer but it's a better situation than I was facing before as I have little time to find direct sponsorship and barely time to even do the farmwork, I'm happy with the responses above

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe I'm missing something, but 3 months sponsorship runs out in 3 months, regardless of finding more work.

Ok I won't be happy if that is the case!

Ok I won't be happy if that is the case!
    When you apply for a 457 visa you have to put down a time period for the position, which becomes the visa validity period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ifumust82

Can you still be sponsored by recruiters?? When I was first sponsored it was by a recruiter and they told me I would be one of the last because the law was being changed.
    Now this was in June 2007 so maybe things have changed since then.....??

You can if they are willing to obey the new laws, a lot of them won't too much hassle.

Hussey, when you were sponsored by the recruiter, was your sponsorship for longer than the job you were working in? Mellor's comments suggest that the sponsorship will end when the role does and I will have 28 days to get sponsored in a new job, rather than find a job and my recruiter sponsorship continues.

Mellor's comments suggest that the sponsorship will end when the role does and I will have 28 days to get sponsored in a new job, rather than find a job and my recruiter sponsorship continues.

That's not what I said.
    I said it ends when the visa does. If recruiter sponsors you for 3 months, it's up in 3 months, regardless or work. You'll need to apply again to get sponsored further.
    If the recruiter sponsors you for 4 years you can work multiple jobs over 4 years as long as you aren't out of work for more than 28 days.

Very important difference between the two situations. I was pointing it out so you can double check what's on the table here.

I was sponsored for 4 years (on visa) and contract was for 3 months (that was a few years ago)

• Advertisement

Thanks lads! Confirmed it all.

It of course had a catch, my hourly rate dropped by over $3 even though they said they were absorbing the costs. They had warned of a mere 50c to $1 drop.

They really need to learn how to manage expectations, the same happened when I got the job, the rate was $5 to $10 lower than they told me when applying. It has just led to arguments and unfriendly negotiations.

Advertisement