Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for NYC & San Fran Trip Please

Options
  • 21-03-2013 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

So me and the OH will arrive JFK 02/09/13 and depart SFO for DUB 16/09/13. We've never been to the US before.

I am looking to draw up a rough itinerary. How long to spend in new york? advice on getting from new york to san Francisco? What to do in san Francisco?is one of these guided tours of the napa valley worth it?

We're mid 20s.

wont be able to rent a car :(

Anything to avoid? Any hidden gems? All advice and tips appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

one week in both cities is perfect given your schedule, for such a short trip your only option is to fly to sf, virgin, us airways, united, american all do direct flights from either newark or jfk to san francisco international, should be able to get a one way flight for about €100-120

san francisco is a very walkable town though its extremely hilly in parts, on a sunny day its a lovely walk from fishermans wharf across the golden gate bridge and back and then down to baker beach, tons of other places to explore such as twin peaks for an amazing view of the city, chinatown, golden gate park, telegraph hill, lombard street

haven't been to napa but those guided tours are usually excellent, number one destination while in san fran should be alcatraz and you have to book trips well in advance http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

i would also recommend a day trip to yosemite, the park is best in june/july when all the rivers and waterfalls are in full flow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

San Francisco is a great town to not have a car in. You can get transit tickets that cover everything (bus, bart, streetcar and the antique cable cars)
    The busses in the city will get you everywhere , Twin Peaks has great views, as does Colt tower. The golden gate bridge can be walked - there is always a crowd that rent you a bike one way and pick you up the other side.
    Golden Gate park (1 street over from my house :D) is incredible, it has a lot of trails, the science museum and the de jong museum as well. The science one is great, every thursday night they have "night at the museum" for over 21's. Cocktails and exhibits and dj's etc.
    Alcatraz is worth seeing, i recommend doing the "night tour". It is a lot less crowded (about 300 people in total) and is really good fun.
    There are some great restaurants and bars around the mission district, as well as Upper Haight.

As for day trips, yosemite is worth is, as is Muir woods (again by bus). Napa is good fun, you can rent a driver/car to bring you to vineyards, though i would recommend staying over for the night in St Helena or Napa.

In all honesty, you won't run out of things to do. We've lived here since October and are still finding new things to see and do

Advertisement