Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First powerlifting competition tips?

• 21-03-2013 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

I have my first powerlifting meet coming up on April 6th. My numbers aren't anything special but I'm really looking forward to the event. Anyone have any tips I should keep in mind?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

IPO Nationals?

The one piece of advice I hear, and give, time and time again is: make sure you hit your openers. Plan your openers so you could hit them if you were dumped on a platform fifteen seconds after being woken up by a cold bucket of water to the face after sleeping in an armchair. Go aggressive as you like for your second and third attempts, but just make damn sure you hit those openers so you post a total for the meet.

Apart from that... make sure your gear is in order (singlet, shoes, wraps, deadlift socks if needed, etc.) and try to suss out the food situation beforehand. Meets can go on a long time so make sure you have enough to keep you going.

Tracksuit bottoms and a hoodie are a good shout for keeping warm between flights / lifts. And if you need to assert yourself a little to get a few warm-up reps in, then do it. Just jump in with someone who's warming up with around the same weights as you.

Oh, and enjoy it! Records and best lifter trophies are nice but you're really only competing against yourself so just go out and set your marker to improve upon in your next meet.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

IPO Nationals?

The one piece of advice I hear, and give, time and time again is: make sure you hit your openers. Plan your openers so you could hit them if you were dumped on a platform fifteen seconds after being woken up by a cold bucket of water to the face after sleeping in an armchair. Go aggressive as you like for your second and third attempts, but just make damn sure you hit those openers so you post a total for the meet.

Apart from that... make sure your gear is in order (singlet, shoes, wraps, deadlift socks if needed, etc.) and try to suss out the food situation beforehand. Meets can go on a long time so make sure you have enough to keep you going.

Tracksuit bottoms and a hoodie are a good shout for keeping warm between flights / lifts. And if you need to assert yourself a little to get a few warm-up reps in, then do it. Just jump in with someone who's warming up with around the same weights as you.

Oh, and enjoy it! Records and best lifter trophies are nice but you're really only competing against yourself so just go out and set your marker to improve upon in your next meet.

Best of luck!

Yep IPO.

Cheers for the tips. How long would it generally go on for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Cheers for the tips. How long would it generally go on for?

Depends entirely upon the number of lifters, how many platforms are in operation, and how good the folks running the meet are.

I've heard of meets with four flights begin lifting at 1030 and have everything finished by 1430, I've also heard some horror stories of deadlifts only beginning at 1900 or 1930 in the evening.

I've never been to an IPO meet but if you mentally prep yourself to be there until at least late afternoon, you should be grand.

Hanley, kevpants, or COH might drop in and give you a better guess of how things will run, I think they've all competed at IPO meets before.

Advertisement