Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€215m bypass of New Ross finally gets the Green Light

Options
  • 21-03-2013 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/go-ahead-for-215m-bypass-of-new-ross-1.1332791

The Coalition has given the go-ahead for a €215 million bypass of New Ross in Co Wexford.

The 16km dual carriageway is to be built under a public private partnership.

To start 2015 and finish 2017

I gather that means there will be tolls on it, I also gather that there will be no one on it due to those tolls:)

€13.5 Million per kilometre :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

it will be toll-free

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

From the Times article:
    However, the proposed bypass has been criticised by opponents of the scheme. It was described by James Nix, Ireland co-ordinator of the Brussels-based Transport Environment lobby group, as “largely a vanity project”. He criticised what he called the “gargantuan span of a bridge” over the Barrow, which ignored an established road reservation.

Don't know if James Nix ever spent an hour or so stuck in traffic along the established road.

Always one clown who objects to progress.I for one am delighted the project is green lit to commence next year.

BTW folks,don't expect too many locals to get work on the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

Does anyone have an artists impression of the proposed bridge?
    Be nice to know what its going to look like

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

it will be toll-free

How does the "Private" part of the partnership make back it's investment?

Not the proposed one but this is an extradosed bridge that will be used in the design - http://dcnonl.com/article/2007roadbuilding300

Similar to the Waterford by-pass bridge I imagine

• Advertisement

214425.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

A fraction of that €215 million would have provided a massively improved rail link to Rosslare. The long gone avoiding curve at Rosslare Strand could have been reinstated and direct Waterford/Dublin Connolly trains introduced. More 1950s USA type thinking which sees throwing massive money at road infrastructure as the answer to everything. Still at least the Turkish motorway builders will be kept busy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Jengagirl

Anyone know the latest re the enniscorthy by pass? Surely this is a higher priority due to access to Rosslare port? Also anyone have the route of the proposed new ross by pass?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

A fraction of that €215 million would have provided a massively improved rail link to Rosslare. The long gone avoiding curve at Rosslare Strand could have been reinstated and direct Waterford/Dublin Connolly trains introduced. More 1950s USA type thinking which sees throwing massive money at road infrastructure as the answer to everything. Still at least the Turkish motorway builders will be kept busy. :rolleyes:

While I agree largely with your ideas on the rail network, I think these bypasses are more urgent as long as we continue to use cars as the number one personal transport and articulated lorries as the number one goods and stock transport. Bottle neck towns such as new ross and enniscorthy will benefit dramatically, however as Zerks said earlier, its highly unlikely that locals will lay an inch of tar on these roads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Jengagirl wrote: »
    Anyone know the latest re the enniscorthy by pass? Surely this is a higher priority due to access to Rosslare port? Also anyone have the route of the proposed new ross by pass?

Thanks

the New ross road will be servicing a link to Rosslare too. Not every road comes from Dublin, Cork/Waterford commuters to Rosslare will be serviced by this bypass. The traffic through New Ross is far worse than Eniscorthy, so I'd have no issues with it being ahead in the priority scale. As long as eniscorthy does indeed come next along the list.

http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/Roads/NationalRoadsLiaisonOffice/M11GoreytoEnniscorthyScheme/Thefile,8141,en.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

Jengagirl wrote: »

Thanks

I thought they had the go ahead for 2014 but it may have been a dream.
    I suppose though, the New Ross bypass would also open the south and south west to Rosslare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

This is very good news - I only saw last week how traffic is as bad as ever at peak times. I was out for a run on Friday evening and ran from Bolands to Brandon House Hotel faster than a colleague could drive it. 21st century - that can't be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

About time, its remarkable how it was left to fester for so long (and before the slump I mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

vicwatson wrote: »
    How does the "Private" part of the partnership make back it's investment?
    Government pays them back over the life of the PPP

jd wrote: »
    Government pays them back over the life of the PPP

That's the taxpayer pays them back.. !:pac:

That's the taxpayer pays them back.. !:pac:

Would you prefer a toll .........?

Would you prefer a toll .........?

I'd prefer to know the difference. You?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

It's welcome news and should have been sorted out years ago as New Ross is on the main route from Roslare to the South and West of Ireland. Personally don't see the need for such an extravagant bypass and wonder why a second crossing at Marshmeadows, around Aldi/ Duncannon road wouldn't have sufficed.

I think there's going to continue to be debate about that. A lower cost inner relief route would be preferable right now but I believe the better long-term solution is further out of town and the proposed bridge seems to fit that.

Dungarvan and Clonmel are two towns which spring to mind as having national routes running right around the town margins and in my opinion it would be preferable to have greater distance between those towns and their bypasses. That way there's less interference between through traffic and local traffic.

I'd prefer to know the difference. You?

Personally not worried about the cost , whether is it paid by the taxpayer or revenue .

This by-pass is long overdue , and it has been frustrating joining queues every evening for many years .

• Advertisement

Personally not worried about the cost , whether is it paid by the taxpayer or revenue .

This by-pass is long overdue , and it has been frustrating joining queues every evening for many years .

Nobody is denying that.

The taxpayer or revenue??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Great news that this is going ahead!
    It is badly needed. The proposed route is good.
    Hope there will be no delays now in this project.

Nobody is denying that.

The taxpayer or revenue??:confused:

@vicwatson

A typing error obviously ............Don't care who foots the bill.
    This news makes a lot of people happy .

Imagine how happy drivers will be , when the by-pass opens.

30,000 drivers a day will never see New Ross again :)

@vicwatson

A typing error obviously ............Don't care who foots the bill.
    This news makes a lot of people happy .

Poor New Ross ! Hopefully they can still get the tourist to the new JFK homestead centre and The Dunbrody famine ship.

That's a bit harsh. For the most part, those drivers never stop in the town so their presence is of no benefit to the town - in fact it lessens the quality of life for everyone who wants or needs to be in the town. I haven't been much in Gorey since it was bypassed but I imagine the town is a much nicer place to be now that there aren't miles of traffic snaking through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

maybe im just really lucky but it's very rare i'll get stuck for long coming through ross from the waterford side at 5:30 ish on a weekday. the traffic is no where near as bad as it used to be. i would have thought enniscorthy is worse.

not that i'm complaining :D

bypass_zpsae85c56f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

New Ross will need to come up with something for people to actually drive into town so...

as if its going to be bi passed by 30,000 cars daily im sure that's going to effect businesses

in the town, as if its not bad enough already.

I genuinely don't believe that a significant proportion of that traffic is of any benefit to the town. If anything I'd expect that anyone who's stuck in traffic is going to be so fed up by the time they get into town that they'll either have to keep going to make up time or they will just want to get where they're going as soon as possible. The absence of a constant stream of traffic through the town will make it a much nicer place to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    The absence of a constant stream of traffic through the town will make it a much nicer place to be.

only because you won't be stationary long enough to remember how much of a sh*thole it is.

Advertisement