Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash Stolen from Balbriggan Garda Station.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

It was just resting in the lads account! I'm sure it will be returned :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Unreal :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

UPDATE,

These was a tear in the Evidence Bag

Gardai are looking into it.

Now it appears that Gardai, attached to Balbriggan were asked to donate 70.00 each to cover the loss, they refused, quite right too.

Is this a very unfortunate symptom, of cutbacks, reductions in pay, and possible Mortgage arrears.

Gardai are no different from other members of our Community, and are suffering at present,

As ''front-Line'' staff, we hope they will respond to our problems, and they do,

and following the terrible events in Dundalk area 2 months ago, maybe they need a ''Thank You'' next time you interact with a member

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fears-of-rise-in-gambling-among-gardai-after-theft-29150282.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

martinn123 wrote: »
    Now it appears that Gardai, attached to Balbriggan were asked to donate 70.00 each to cover the loss, they refused, quite right too.

Is this a very unfortunate symptom, of cutbacks, reductions in pay, and possible Mortgage arrears.

Gardai are no different from other members of our Community, and are suffering at present,

As ''front-Line'' staff, we hope they will respond to our problems, and they do,

and following the terrible events in Dundalk area 2 months ago, maybe they need a ''Thank You'' next time you interact with a member

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fears-of-rise-in-gambling-among-gardai-after-theft-29150282.html
    Bull****! He/she is a robbin bastard like the criminals they arrest!

I would actually classify this as worse!

• Advertisement

Bull****! He/she is a robbin bastard like the criminals they arrest!

I would actually classify this as worse!

i can understand your response, and no doubt when the culprit is found he/she will face the full force of the Justice system, arrest, trial, sentence, and dismissal from the Force.

The rest however deserve some support, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Easy tiger! Martin was referring to the force in general. You are talking about an individual. Let's not tar them all with the one brush you have.

i can understand your response, and no doubt when the culprit is found he/she will face the full force of the Justice system, arrest, trial, sentence, and dismissal from the Force.

The rest however deserve some support, in my opinion.
    Guard living a few doors down from me drives an 09 bmw. There not as close to the bread line as they would like us to believe.

I wouldn't hold my breathe on anyone getting done for this to be honest

Guard living a few doors down from me drives an 09 bmw. There not as close to the bread line as they would like us to believe.
    And perhaps back in 09, they were earning more in Overtime, Allowances, etc, and before the pay Cuts, Universal Social Charge etc, which effects us all.

I hope he/she can still afford the payments on the Beamer,

there are exceptions in every situation, don't assume all members are like your neighbour

It's a PR disaster for the force, apparently the financial details of every member with access to the safe are being examined, so I would have confidence this one will be solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

And perhaps back in 09, they were earning more in Overtime, Allowances, etc, and before the pay Cuts, Universal Social Charge etc, which effects us all.

there are exceptions in every situation, don't assume all members are like your neighbour

It's a PR disaster for the force, apparently the financial details of every member with access to the safe are being examined, so I would have confidence this one will be solved.

and ofcourse, what with all the training and the intelligence needed to become a guard whoever did it put it in their bank account, the full 9k, right after they stole it, so they would be easy caught.... lol

• Advertisement

dharma200 wrote: »
    and ofcourse, what with all the training and the intelligence needed to become a guard whoever did it put it in their bank account, the full 9k, right after they stole it, so they would be easy caught.... lol

Well, there is a little more to Forensic Accounting, than looking at a Bank Statement,

Ask John Gilligan, or anyone else captured by CAB.

The car was only bought last year.

And I'm sure whoever robbed it would be stupid enough to lodge the full amount in one of he's accounts!

The car was only bought last year.

And I'm sure whoever robbed it would be stupid enough to lodge the full amount in one of he's accounts!

See above Reply.

and it only took CAB 20 years to get Gilligans farm lol... shant hold my breath for them or any Columbo to get this 9k.... shall look out for the story in the papers tho.....

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hare

why 9k.would you not be better taking the heap.

dharma200 wrote: »
    and it only took CAB 20 years to get Gilligans farm lol...
    Well no actually, Jessbrook was seized when he was arrested, Gilligan initiated various and numerous Court Actions, to reverse the seizure which did take a long time to go through the Courts............all on Free Legal Aid I think.......
    shant hold my breath for them or any Columbo to get this 9k.... shall look out for the story in the papers tho.....

We'll see, in the meantime have some sympathy for the shop owner who went to collect his cash, only to discover the cash that was in the Bag, is now evidence in another robbery.

I have lots of sympathy for the shop owner... If I were him Id be raging. I certainly wouldnt hold out much hope though, if i were him/her.. Im not sure what the insuarance situation would be but I would hold whoever was in charge of the station liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

They were spot on not to stump up €70 each. I would agree fully the Gardái do deserve our support and gratidtude. They have been hammered with cutbacks for a few years, not given the resources to do their jobs yet they continue to do their best.
    Easy tiger! Martin was referring to the force in general. You are talking about an individual. Let's not tar them all with the one brush you have.
    I think we are lucky enough in N.C.D with the Gardái we have. Any dealing I have had with them have found them nice folks to deal with

Maybe this person saved their money or got a good deal on the car. I would not begrudge anyone driving a decent car if they work to keep it on the road. I have no doubt they will nail the person who allegedly took the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

If there are any Gardaí reading this that aren't taking money from evidence bags:

Thank you for putting your safety on the line to make this a better place to live.

This is really poor logic to be honest. How do you know that s/he didn't get cash from the death of a family member in 09 and used it to buy the car of his / her dreams as a one off for example? Maybe s/he doesn't drink or smoke or go out very often but really loves cars. Maybe there's a huge loan out on it.

Nice car does not mean minted. It just means the person likes nice cars.

hare wrote: »
    why 9k.would you not be better taking the heap.

The only thing I could think of was that it was less likely to be noticed straight away.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    If there are any Gardaí reading this that aren't taking money from evidence bags:

Thank you for putting your safety on the line to make this a better place to live.

This is really poor logic to be honest. How do you know that s/he didn't get cash from the death of a family member in 09 and used it to buy the car of his / her dreams as a one off for example? Maybe s/he doesn't drink or smoke or go out very often but really loves cars. Maybe there's a huge loan out on it.

Nice car does not mean minted. It just means the person likes nice cars.
    Or maybe the guards are in a well paid job, and things are not as tough financially as they make out!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Or maybe the guards are in a well paid job, and things are not as tough financially as they make out!

Guards are in a job that they are paid to do commensurate with the hours they work (nights evenings bank holidays christmas etc.)
    Everyone had the opportunity to apply if they met the eligibility requirements when they were recruiting
    If someone has a 09 car so what? Does that mean they shouldnt? Are we communists all of a sudden?
    I say good luck to them in the job they do i think they should be paid better than they are (and i include all 24/7 personnel in that)
    Ive no affiliation with any of the organisations I just think it was always the case it was an honest days work for an honest days pay
    Nowadays it seems you cant even expect that!

Guards are in a job that they are paid to do commensurate with the hours they work (nights evenings bank holidays christmas etc.)
    Everyone had the opportunity to apply if they met the eligibility requirements when they were recruiting
    If someone has a 09 car so what? Does that mean they shouldnt? Are we communists all of a sudden?
    I say good luck to them in the job they do i think they should be paid better than they are (and i include all 24/7 personnel in that)
    Ive no affiliation with any of the organisations I just think it was always the case it was an honest days work for an honest days pay
    Nowadays it seems you cant even expect that!
    I agree, but listening to the radio at work each day you would swear the guards were on the streets begging for there breakfast!

Equally if there not happy with the 50k a year they are on, come join us in the world of private work and see how cushy things are!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Time to get back on topic please, there's an Emergency Services forum if anyone wants to discuss Garda salaries in there :)

Looks like someone is about to have their collar felt

http://www.herald.ie/news/officer-faces-arrest-over-9k-missing-from-garda-station-29194201.html

may be implicated in other instances of missing cash.

Nice work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

A man has been arrested in connection with the theft of €9,000 from Balbriggan Garda Station.

The man in his mid-30s was arrested this morning.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0418/382244-balbriggan-theft/

I wonder if he had an account with Paddy Power, like the Post Office guy in Gorey, or if he was in financial distress.
    Anyway good work by his ''former'' colleagues

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

As this is going to be investigated and maybe brought before the courts is it proper to be dicussing possible motives/reasons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As this is going to be investigated and maybe brought before the courts is it proper to be dicussing possible motives/reasons?

Agreed. And as this matter will be the subject of legal proceedings I am now closing this thread in line with site guidelines.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement