Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Property Tax - deduction at source

Options
  • 21-03-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

I couldn't see any mention of this in the other LPT threads so I thought I'd outline the details in case anyone was wondering (I work in payroll not in Revenue so don't shoot the messenger!).

1. If you don't indicate to Revenue that you wish to pay by any other method the default is deduction from your Wages/Occupational Pension.

2. Revenue notify your employer/pension provider of the amount due. They are obliged to deduct it evenly over the remaining paydays during the year.

3. Everything has to go through Revenue. The amount is wrong, you want to pay by alternate means, you've already paid it - talk to Revenue, your employer/pension provider has to take the amount indicated until Revenue inform them otherwise.

4. Underpayments and overpayments are handled by Revenue i.e. you won't be getting a refund through the payroll as you might with tax.

5. The order for deductions are the statutory ones PAYE/USC/PRSI, then LPT, then non statutory deductions eg Health Insurance, Car Insurance etc. So if you don't have enough pay to cover everything, it's your non-statutory deductions that will go into arrears.

6. If you're off pay, the amount still outstanding is spread over the remaining paydays after you return.

I have no idea how deduction from Social Welfare payments is going to be handled.

Advertisement