Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bed bound - please recommend some games!

• 21-03-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have done myself an injury and I will be off college for the next few weeks. I will of course try to be studying as much at possible :D but I would also like to play some games to fight the boredom laying in bed most of the day!

Maybe you can recommend some good ones to run on my Windows 8 Zenbook Intel i5-3317U @ 1.70 GHz 4GB RAM.

An example of games I like are World of Warcraft and Counter Strike Source.

I like other first person shooters too but since being inducted into MMORPGs I really enjoy games where I am free to travel freely, sometimes games can really feel like I am just going through the paces following a script. I found Skyrim was really like that but I only played for an hour or so.

I have been very impressed with the games that can run on Intel HD 4000 graphics, and although Battlefield 3 did run, it did not run properly and froze a lot.

I like PVP, but it is not a necessity. I do not like Minecraft, I just cannot get into it. I liked Metal Gear Solid and Siphon Filter on the PS2. I think that new game the Last of Us looks great.

I played EVE for short while some years ago, and I have considered downloading it again but a game like that is a huge commitment, or maybe I am wrong and it can be played casually?

Help me Boards.ie, let the healing begin!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Solitaire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Try some games that you won't get bored with over time. Like RPGs are the best for this. Play through some of the Final Fantasy series. They've actually aged well. FPS and action games will melt your brain and get very tedious after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Darksiders 1 & 2, seem to be saying them in every suggestion thread at the moment but i really enjoyed them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'll list stuff just for your laptop.

Portal 1 and 2. A first person puzzle game. Very clever and has some witty dialogue. A must play for any gamer.

Batman Arkham Asylum and also Arkham City. Brilliant Batman games. Has the best combat of any third-person game ever. Anyone who says different, is wrong. :D

The Walking dead. Episodes 1-5. It's point and click so you can play it easily lying down. It has its flaws but its very gripping story wise. You might wind up caring about the characters, which is rare in games.

The Mass Effect series. 1,2 and 3. Great games. RPG with a classic Sci-fi story.

Dragon Age origins. Again, if you like RPG's this one is very good.

If you are looking for another MMO, Guild Wars 2 has good PVP which you mentioned you like. It's similar to WoW but without the subscription fee.

That should keep you going until you are healed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Word of caution (from experience): be careful how you position your mouse while in bed. I gave myself horrible RSI a few years back by being careless with exactly that :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Fallout 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I would suggest grabbing one or two of the infinity engine games from gog like Baldur's Gate, Planescape or some of the other crpgs from the same era (Fallout/Arcanum etc.). Assuming you haven't played them before. Since you are in bed these are perfect if you haven't got the ideal setup for FPS type games with simple point and click to move your party and pause (or turn based) to make decisions for combat. I finished Baldur's Gate last week and am well into it's sequel now and in my humble opinion these games haven't aged badly at all. Fantastic story with addictive gameplay and the graphics have a charm all of their own that renders their lack of bloom, AA and so on irrelevant. In some ways they haven't been bettered since.

When it comes to the PC we are blessed to have the likes of gog and we don't have to always consider what modern games to play when there are classics at a cut down price just waiting to be played.

*edit Sir Digby essentially beat me to it with a simple one liner. Serves me right for writing a long winded response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

All the games Kirby mentioned are amazing. The Mass Effect trilogy alone would probably get you through your few weeks. Since you mentioned The Last of Us, I'd suggest The Walking Dead Season 1. Don't accidentally get with The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct though, it's meant to be very poor!

Bioshock and Bioshock 2 are two of the most compelling games of this generation. Bioshock Infinite (the third game in the series) is out next week as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Xcom: enemy unknown, I always recommend Xcom for extended periods of bedrest :)

Mass effect trilogy too, cant go wrong there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Reekwind wrote: »
    Word of caution (from experience): be careful how you position your mouse while in bed. I gave myself horrible RSI a few years back by being careless with exactly that :(

There are laws against doing that sort of thing with pets.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Also maybe simcity 4 or an earlier one?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

Civ 5 you probably wont get too much studying done once you start playing this tho :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Rome: Total War, best in the series and should cheap to pick up too. Spent so much time playing it and I'm not even a big RTS fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,034 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

SNAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I'm no expert on PC Gaming, but the OP's specs won't be able to run a lot of these games ye are recommending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If you rmachine will play it Fallout 3 game of the year edition (with all the expansions) is fairly cheap and brilliant. Would suit someone bed bound as it has a lot of dialogue and exploring but still pretty action packed. Main game is about 70 hours with loads of extra content in the DLC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,083 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd highly recommend the Mass Effect games if you can run them. If not, try the original Deus Ex. Never hurts to revisit a classic.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Path of Exile (Diablo II style game free to play!)

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare (medieval first person shooter except instead of guns you have maces, axes etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Rollercoaster Tycoon, nothing else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

.ak wrote: »
    Try some games that you won't get bored with over time. Like RPGs are the best for this. Play through some of the Final Fantasy series. They've actually aged well. FPS and action games will melt your brain and get very tedious after a while.

YouTubed the different versions of FF because I had an idea of what it was like and I am afraid it does not appeal to me, thanks though.
    Kirby wrote: »
    Batman Arkham Asylum and also Arkham City. Brilliant Batman games. Has the best combat of any third-person game ever. Anyone who says different, is wrong. :D

The Walking dead. Episodes 1-5. It's point and click so you can play it easily lying down. It has its flaws but its very gripping story wise. You might wind up caring about the characters, which is rare in games.

Some good recommendations there, I had noticed the Batman games before and thought they might not play too well with a keyboard and mouse but I will definitely be checking them out!

I am a Walking Dead fan but not sure about the game.
    Civ 5 you probably wont get too much studying done once you start playing this tho :p

Tried it already, and really tried to get into it because I know Civ has a huge following but I find the whole turn based thing really annoying!
    nocoverart wrote: »
    I'm no expert on PC Gaming, but the OP's specs won't be able to run a lot of these games ye are recommending.

You would probably be very surprised as I was when I first started playing games on it. I have ran lots of recently released games on it including Tombraider and Medal of Honor: Warfighter and it ran both just fine. The only game it would freeze regularly with was Battlefield 3.

Intel have done a hell of a job with HD 4000 graphics.
    If you rmachine will play it Fallout 3 game of the year edition (with all the expansions) is fairly cheap and brilliant. Would suit someone bed bound as it has a lot of dialogue and exploring but still pretty action packed. Main game is about 70 hours with loads of extra content in the DLC.

We will find out thanks :)

I have got my hands on Alan Wake and Dead Island to get me started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

dusf wrote: »
    I have got my hands on Alan Wake and Dead Island to get me started.

I found Alan Wake silly and tiresome, and I utterly loathed Dead Island. Like, I actively dislike them personally for making it.

I'd say your machine would handle the Source Engine pretty well. Half Life 2 +episodes would be a fantastic time killer if you haven't played them yet. It also leads into the Portals nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Zillah wrote: »
    I found Alan Wake silly and tiresome, and I utterly loathed Dead Island. Like, I actively dislike them personally for making it.

I'd say your machine would handle the Source Engine pretty well. Half Life 2 +episodes would be a fantastic time killer if you haven't played them yet. It also leads into the Portals nicely.

I have not tried Alan Wake or Dead Island just yet!

I play CS:S most days and played Half Life in the past - good recommendations though!

It handles Source easily! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Mass Effect Trilogy, Xcom, Skyrim, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Arkham City and Asylum.

You may not actually have enough time.

EDIT: Batman games are better with controller. Use the DS3 tool to emulate a controller to work with Batman. Easily done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,961 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's great. Surprisingly good. Only trouble is it's only 10 hours long, but with pretty much no replayability, so something like the Batman games (especially trying to collect everything and beat all the challenges) would occupy you for much longer. But it's still well worth playing if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I'd say the game is better than the show, by a long shot. Haven't read the comics, but I was way more attached to the characters in the game, than I am to those in the show.

For what that's worth.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Not to hijack the thread but thinking of gettin a city building type game.
    With the problems sim city seems to be having might avoid that for now.
    So maybe Tropico 4 or Anno 2070? not sure which though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

tropico 4 (and tropico 3) are both incredible games. they're not as complicated as anno, which after six hours of play I gave up on hoping to return to some time in the future. you'll get tropico 3 + expansion or tropico 4+expansion very cheap these days and unlike anno you wont spend the first 20 hours banging your head off the wall wondering what the **** is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

You can play games on google chrome ! Angry birds etc. Hours of fun!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

tropico 4 (and tropico 3) are both incredible games. they're not as complicated as anno, which after six hours of play I gave up on hoping to return to some time in the future. you'll get tropico 3 + expansion or tropico 4+expansion very cheap these days and unlike anno you wont spend the first 20 hours banging your head off the wall wondering what the **** is going on.
    I do want to avoid the ol head banging alright :pac: Might see where I can get Tropico on the cheap so,thanks

Advertisement