Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only three carded athletes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

tunney wrote: »
    Triathlon Ireland
    €20,000
    Aileen Reid
    €12,000
    Bryan Keane
    Gavin Noble

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/sports-council-announces-grants-for-next-12-months-1.1333906

I would have thought that there would be more

More money or more triathletes getting money ?

Who knows how many applied but weren't successful.

Still 48k in total in funding isn't great at all when you look at €1.7 million in total

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

More money or more triathletes getting money ?

Who knows how many applied but weren't successful.

Still 48k in total in funding isn't great at all when you look at €1.7 million in total

Athletes, thought more athletes.

tunney wrote: »
    Athletes, thought more athletes.

No doubt they looked at 2012 results and its a catch 22.

You can't do better without the funding and you can't get the funding if you don't do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

It really is a pittance when compared to some of the other sports but it's no incentive for someone to go pro.

Plenty of exceptional amateur talent racing in Irish colours but when you see the level Bryan and Gavin are racing at and 'only' getting €12k for their troubles there's not many who could afford to go pro without major financial and product backing.

It really is a pittance when compared to some of the other sports but it's no incentive for someone to go pro.

Plenty of exceptional amateur talent racing in Irish colours but when you see the level Bryan and Gavin are racing at and 'only' getting €12k for their troubles there's not many who could afford to go pro without major financial and product backing.

Well said when you look at the travel costs alone in traveling to ITU events.

Also there's only so much you can get from a sponsor and only so many logo's you can have on a tri suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

More Importantly, the funding for the spork is down €10k, from €107 - €97

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Why should the government pay them to train?

Sponsorship I would imagine is their main source of income anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

You might think that three is a low number, but realistically, who else is there that should receive funding? The only other options are Conor Murphy and Russell White, and while both are putting in some solid performances, they are doing so in obscure races in Africa and Asia, racing against the lesser lights of world tri.

Certainly not trying to put the guys down, and you would hope that both would make the push into the bigger races in the next 24months, but at present they are't there, and so aren't going to get the funding.

If you want to make an argument about needing the funding to get there, then thats a completely difference discussion and I'd agree with you, but that same issue exists in every individual sport.

If you want to argue for non-ITU athletes receiving funding, the only ones racing pro (afaik, they are certainly the only ones producing top level results) are Eimear Mullan and David Vaughan and I doubt either expect to receive anything anyway as they aren't racing in an olympic sport.

mloc123 wrote: »

Isn't the Sports Council mostly funded from the Lotto?

There is very little by way of financial backing in sponsorship, you might see a deal agreed worth €10k per year but this could be in product, bike, nutrition etc. They still need cash to train fulltime and put a roof over their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Sponsorship I would imagine is their main source of income anyway.

It's certainly not the prize money anyway...
    1st. 1,250 AUD
    2nd. 1,000 AUD
    3rd. 750 AUD
    4th. 500 AUD

Bryan Keane got 500 aussie dollars for finishing 4th in an ITU.

• Advertisement

I just think any funding they get should be a bonus....

Plenty of athletes out there that work and train, look at Mark Kenneally, who has his own physio practice.

Maybe I am a grouch today but... if you choose to do this as a career you know what to expect. It is the same with everyone, you choose our job and have a fair idea of the pay scale going in.. if you are not happy with it choose something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Plenty of athletes out there that work and train, look at Mark Kenneally, who has his own physio practice.

Maybe I am a grouch today but... if you choose to do this as a career you know what to expect. It is the same with everyone, you choose our job and have a fair idea of the pay scale going in.. if you are not happy with it choose something else.

If you represent Ireland at the top tier of your game, its only right that that representation gets rewarded from Ireland PLC. Whether it comes from general taxation or lottery money, I'm all for funding of elites, and reckon 3 triathletes getting funded is about correct, given the profile of the athletes and the sport. In fact, looking down over the overall list, it seems pretty balanced and fair, IMO. (Delighted to see Paralympian Darragh McDonald get €40k, after the superb year he's had).

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    If you represent Ireland at the top tier of your game, its only right that that representation gets rewarded from Ireland PLC.

Indeed, I guess the problem here is we have nobody else that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Peterx wrote: »
    It's certainly not the prize money anyway...
    1st. 1,250 AUD
    2nd. 1,000 AUD
    3rd. 750 AUD
    4th. 500 AUD

Bryan Keane got 500 aussie dollars for finishing 4th in an ITU.

Just to be fair and stick to facts its 3000 US for comming 4th in a world cup not massive either,

Also Connor has certainly moved up this year and performed quite decently so far and has beaten athletes that made it to the olympic games in London in 2 Us races.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Kurt Godel wrote: »

If you represent Ireland at the top tier of your game, its only right that that representation gets rewarded from Ireland PLC. Whether it comes from general taxation or lottery money, I'm all for funding of elites, and reckon 3 triathletes getting funded is about correct, given the profile of the athletes and the sport. In fact, looking down over the overall list, it seems pretty balanced and fair, IMO. (Delighted to see Paralympian Darragh McDonald get €40k, after the superb year he's had).
    +1 reward results with grants, not potential results

Did the sports council not ask atheltes to not look for short term results but at the big picture ?
    Given connor s progress a 6000 euro grand would have been an investment as he is certainly with an outside chance to make it to rio.
    and if i can say so he is better than the A standard for marathon running.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

peter kern wrote: »
    and if i can say so he is better than the A standard for marathon running.

better than the IAAF 2.17 standard or AAI 2.13 standard? When did he run it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

I presume this is Tax Free.. so in real terms we should be looking at those figures x2 or thereabouts.
    Im all for incentivising athletes but its not like they have made a chosen career of saving lives or doing charity work...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I presume this is Tax Free.. so in real terms we should be looking at those figures x2 or thereabouts.
    Im all for incentivising athletes but its not like they have made a chosen career of saving lives or doing charity work...

What kind of nonsense logic is that?? You talking about tax? Do you know how much tax a person earning €20,000 per annum actually pays??

RayCun wrote: »
    better than the IAAF 2.17 standard or AAI 2.13 standard? When did he run it?

Sorry what i was refering too is the female Marathon olympic A standard for london was 15% behind world record and connor is certainly as close to the Brownlees in a olympic distance( yes its drafting on the bike etc etc but still I think its fair to say he is better than 2.36 Marathon for a female.Catriona Jenings for instance is certainly getting much faster since she started running seriously but so does Connor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sorry what i was refering too is the female Marathon olympic A standard for london was 15% behind world record and connor is certainly as close to the Brownlees in a olympic distance( yes its drafting on the bike etc etc but still I think its fair to say he is better than 2.36 Marathon for a female.Catriona Jenings for instance is certainly getting much faster since she started running seriously but so does Connor.
    Do they make funding decisions by comparison across sports and genders now?

In that case perhaps they should have given his funding to Fionnuala Britton, who could really do with a top-up (Those triathlon coaches don't come cheap!).

Do they make funding decisions by comparison across sports and genders now?

In that case perhaps they should have given his funding to Fionnuala Britton, who could really do with a top-up (Those triathlon coaches don't come cheap!).

SO krusty clown you dont think its important that athletes of very similar abilities and improvement get the same funding ?

As for your 2nd paragraph I could not agree or disagree with your statement thats something hard to define. To give it to the ones with chances to win medals or those with chances to make it to the Olympics. In an ideal world one would like to see enough money for both. Maybe some other cuts could be made to have more money available for the actual athletes rather than bureucracy in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Sure he got €12,000 himself, same as Aileen reid

SO krusty clown you dont think its important that athletes of very similar abilities and improvement get the same funding ?

If we're comparing across sport and gender, how competitive is female triathlon compared to male athletics? Why does Aileen Morrison get a higher grant than Mark Keneally or Ciaran O'Lionard?

If we're comparing across sport and gender, how competitive is female triathlon compared to male athletics? Why does Aileen Morrison get a higher grant than Mark Keneally or Ciaran O'Lionard?

She's doing three sports. :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

d4r3n wrote: »
    Sure he got €12,000 himself, same as Aileen reid

Aileen got 20,000...

If you want to make comparisons you should do so within the sport. How does Connor compare to Aileen, Brian or Galvin? Does he deserve his funding more than any of those athletes?

I believe the way the system works (open to correction):
    International body establishes criteria for entry into event on world stage (Athletics = IAAF)
    National body has the opportunity to tighten the criteria (Athletics = AAI)
    Athlete meets criteria, competes and is funded or
    Athlete does not meet criteria and is not funded or
    Athlete meets the criteria and is not funded (e.g. Maria McCambridge)
    Which category does Connor fit into?

As has been mentioned a number of times on this thread, the system is not designed to reward potential (as potential does not always translate to results). It would be fantastic if the kitty was large enough to support funding those with potential, but alas that does not seem to be the case. So those with potential need to look to sponsorship, their local clubs, or their national body. It's particularly tough in a sport like triathlon, where technology plays a part, but if you're not happy, you should look to your national governing body and your international governing body.
    Maybe some other cuts could be made to have more money available for the actual athletes rather than bureucracy in the system.
    Absolutely, but don't hold your breath.
    She's doing three sports.
    For a 1/3rd of the time.;) Better make way for the pentathletes!

Ok, I see the qualification process is different for Olympic triathlon (places awarded to NOCs rather than individual athletes), but the principle is still much the same. Why didn't Connor get funding (while Aileen, Brian and Galvin did)?

what a triathlete runs off the bike for 10 k is comparable to marathon speed ( Marthon runers could not swim and cycle as fast as triathletes ) A Brownlee run at 2.03 marathon pace at the olympics.
    only few would argue that browlee has not the same athletic ability than mo farah or galen rupp who beat all the africans ) and is a 30 sec ahead of any other triathlete over 10 k in the world
    http://www.triathlon.org/results/result/2012_itu_world_triathlon_madrid/7809
    Based on this resut which is a very though and hot 10 k ailleen 4 and few seconds mins behind x 4. is about 16.30 min.
    Aillen would be about 2.20ish female marathon which is worldclass and sub 2.10 male marathon running. ( lets not argue about every second, but it gives an good idea where she is and why she is classifyed as a world class athlete)

As for the guys that argue that pros that aim to be world class should work.
    I think we can clearly see how much the level in Irish rugby has improved since the sport moved to full time pro at the highest level.
    I hope the people that want the top irish athletes to work, are not those who every 4 years complain, that at the olympics Ireland hardly wins a medal.......

• Advertisement

what a triathlete runs off the bike for 10 k is comparable to marathon speed ... A Brownlee run at 2.03 marathon pace at the olympics...Aillen would be about 2.20ish female marathon which is worldclass and sub 2.10 male marathon running.

oh this is just silly.
    if a Brownlee can run 2.03, let him do it.

Advertisement