Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Code word for kids

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't see what it saved her from to be honest. The kid had enough cop on not to just get in a car with a stranger and to try get their licence plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

My boss got in a bit of a pickle with meetings once and asked me to pick up her kids for her. They looked at me very suspiciously first and asked for the code word. As soon as I said it (and it was a silly word :D) they relaxed and were all chat and giggles all the way back to the office. So I do think that in situations where there is even a slightest possibility of someone unknown to the children ever having to pick them up then a code word is very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

As a child - the second eldest of seven - there were several occasions when I came out of school to be greeted by someone, often a stranger (we had no relations in the area), to tell me that my mother was in hospital having the baby, and I was to go home with them.

I always did, no questions asked, and obviously it was always totally legit!

But I can see how the use of a 'code word' would be very useful particularly in situations like ours, where there was no immediate or extended family around. So, if something went wrong and the parents needed help, they might have to ask someone who the kids didn't know.

Obviously the ideal situation would be that you'd never have someone pick up your kids unless they know each other already - but in the case of an emergency, that's not always a possibility. The 'code word' seems to be a good system to have in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah the days before mobile phones. I remember when I was about ten... I was in some after school class, where my mum usually collected me. Some woman I didn't know pulled up and said I was to go with her, as my brother had had an accident, and my mam couldn't collect me. I had stranger danger drummed into me, so I refused point blank. Wouldn't get in the car. Threatened to scream. So she left me there.

Several hours later, dark now, me still outside that place, feeling a bit scared, my mum appeared, with my brother in an arm cast, saying I was very good for not getting in the car, and we arranged a code word after that.

It's a great idea. Saves all sorts of hassle. :)

Advertisement